Fat Variants - Guide for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Variants - Guide for beginners

fats should be an essential part of your nutritional intake, especially if you are looking to train hard and gain lean muscle.

Here is a guide to the various types of fats

Monounsaturated fat
    Olive oil
    Canola oil
    Sunflower oil
    Peanut oil
    Sesame oil
    Avocados
    Olives
    Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
    Peanut butter

Polyunsaturated fat
    Soybean oil
    Corn oil
    Safflower oil
    Walnuts
    Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
    Flaxseed
    Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
    Soymilk
    Tofu

Saturated fat
    High-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork)
    Chicken with the skin
    Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream)
    Butter
    Cheese
    Ice cream
    Palm and coconut oil
    Lard

Trans fat
    Commercially-baked pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza dough
    Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)
    Stick margarine
    Vegetable shortening
    Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)
    Candy bars

VEGETABLE FAT SOURCES - These are mostly high in mono and polyunsaturated fats and contain EFA's

- Flaxseed, Hempseed, Evening Primrose, Almond, Canola, Olive and Most Other Plant Oils.
    - Whole Raw Nuts & Seeds (Some whole seeds need to be cracked or ground to be digested)
    - MCT Oils (These are medium chain saturated fats derived from coconut oil, available as a supplement)

ANIMAL FAT SOURCES - These can be high in mono and polyunsaturated and saturated fats and contain EFA's

- Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Shellfish & Other Fatty Fish/Fish Oils (Fish are high in unsaturated fats and EFA's)
    - Dairy Products (Can vary in fat content wildly and can contain high levels of saturated fat)
    - Lean Meat & Poultry (Even when trimmed and skinless, these provide fat. Can be high in saturated fat)
    - Eggs (Only the yolk contains the mainly saturated fat).
    Last edited by Deviation; 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM. Reason: Correction

Sure fast foods aren't good for health and they became the main reason of fats.
    We should always eat simple foods instead of fast foods.

Spam Link Removed by Moderator
    Last edited by OptikaNET; 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Just a btw; EFA = essential fatty acid, e.g. Omega-3 (for those who didn't know).

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonhannen View Post
        Good fats should be an essential part of your nutritional intake, especially if you are looking to train hard and gain lean muscle.

Here is some examples of what to eat and what to avoid.

GOOD FATS - Monounsaturated fat
        Olive oil
        Canola oil
        Sunflower oil
        Peanut oil
        Sesame oil
        Avocados
        Olives
        Nuts (almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, cashews)
        Peanut butter

GOOD FATS - Polyunsaturated fat
        Soybean oil
        Corn oil
        Safflower oil
        Walnuts
        Sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds
        Flaxseed
        Fatty fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines)
        Soymilk
        Tofu

BAD FATS - Saturated fat
        High-fat cuts of meat (beef, lamb, pork)
        Chicken with the skin
        Whole-fat dairy products (milk and cream)
        Butter
        Cheese
        Ice cream
        Palm and coconut oil
        Lard

BAD FATS - Trans fat
        Commercially-baked pastries, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pizza dough
        Packaged snack foods (crackers, microwave popcorn, chips)
        Stick margarine
        Vegetable shortening
        Fried foods (French fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, breaded fish)
        Candy bars

VEGETABLE FAT SOURCES - These are mostly high in mono and polyunsaturated fats and contain EFA's

- Flaxseed, Hempseed, Evening Primrose, Almond, Canola, Olive and Most Other Plant Oils.
        - Whole Raw Nuts & Seeds (Some whole seeds need to be cracked or ground to be digested)
        - MCT Oils (These are medium chain saturated fats derived from coconut oil, available as a supplement)

ANIMAL FAT SOURCES - These can be high in mono and polyunsaturated and saturated fats and contain EFA's

- Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Shellfish & Other Fatty Fish/Fish Oils (Fish are high in unsaturated fats and EFA's)
        - Dairy Products (Can vary in fat content wildly and can contain high levels of saturated fat)
        - Lean Meat & Poultry (Even when trimmed and skinless, these provide fat. Can be high in saturated fat)
        - Eggs (Only the yolk contains the mainly saturated fat).
        Thanks for the info...is this list based on your experience or is this from a reference?

Comment

The list is based in internet research.

Comment

References please...

Comment

Originally posted by Chibuike View Post
              References please...
              You want references for a simple list of good and bad fats?

It's not some new revelation based on scientific study, It's just basic nutritional information you can find on any government or health organisation website.

There is know reason to reference basic information that I share to try and help people.

If you doubt the information is correct then disprove it (which you can't, because it's not).
              Last edited by Jasonhannen; 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM. Reason: the post was overly aggresive

Comment

References please...
                Okay I have read some of your other posts and you seem like a fairly intelligent and thoughtful person so I am confused as to why you feel such basic nutritional knowledge needs to have a point of reference?

Comment

I'll offer up one counterargument to your "bad fats". Saturated fats have been shown to increase the level of testosterone in males. More reading material for you: [url]http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/saturated_fat_killer_or_testosterone_booster[/url]

A[URL="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/saturated_fat_killer_or_testosterone_booster"][/URL]s with everything, moderation is important.

Comment

Hi Jason,

I hope your day is going well. Thanks for the response.

The reason I asked for the references is solely to back up claims made. In forums, I have seen members throw out ideas and don't have references to support the notions they espouse. Hence the term "Broscience" rears its ugly head.

As with Deviation, I respectfully disagree with saturated fats being evil. Please consider the research of Weston A. Price as well as the fat consumption of the French. References below:

1) Weston A. Price Foundation: [url]http://bit.ly/H1ZB3Y[/url]

2) The French Paradox: [url]http://bit.ly/GXWA5X[/url]

Comment

Testosterone, like a lot of fat soluble hormones, is based on the cholesterol molecule. The human body is incapable of making this molecule from scratch (although it can create it from certain plant sterols like squalene etc) and so must get it in the diet.

Therefore the amount of dietary cholesterol, and certain other fats, is going to influence the proportions of various hormones in the body. Testosterone, in particulary, is known to play an important role in anabolism and is therefore of crucial importance to bodybuilders and other weight trainers.

It is important to realise, as some don't, then when we are told "Cholesterol is bad for you" what is actually being said is "Excess Cholesterol is bad for you."

The body cannot make unsaturated fats from scratch, and so the are essential in our diet. We can, however, make most saturated fats from basic building blocks like Acetyl CoEnzyme A (Acetyl CoA). It is for this reason that fats are considered "Non-essential" but it needs to be remembered that this doesn't mean that we can live without the fats. In fact, without them we would quickly die, just that those fats can be scavenged and/or created from other sources and so the body can function even if those specific fats are not provided in the diet.

I'm sure the readers of this thread are probably already aware of this fact - at least at a subliminal level - but with the phrases like "essential" and "non-essential" bandied around carelessly in the media, it's important to stop from time to time and actually realise what these phrases mean.

A person who eats a large excess of unsaturated fats will still be at a higher risk of heart disease. A person who eats saturated fats in exactly the correct proportions for their body's needs will be totally healthy (assuming no other disease indicators).

What matters is eating these things in proportion, which is something we don't tend to do in modern society! In this unequal situation the body's response to some fats can help control the bad effects of the excess of other fats, which is where the "cholesterol lowering" claims we become so familiar with come into play.

Needless to say, a lot of rubbish is talked about all of these things in the popular media and the average man-on-the-street has a very poor understanding of the situation. To that average person, the information contained within the first few posts on this thread is probably useful and is "street true" even if the actual situation is considerably more complex.

Trans-saturated fats, on the other hand, are fats that have been artificially created - usually by reacting unsaturated fats with hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst - which produces fats of a type not normally found in nature. These are useful for the food industry because they are resistant to the enzymes produced by food-spoilage organisms, and therefore they last longer without going rancid. This is good news for manufacturer's whose priority is to make products with as long a shelf-life as possible, so that they can be sold before they have to be thrown away.

The fact that these fats are somewhat incompatible with our own enzymes is where the problem begins and there is an accumulating body of data showing that these fats persist in our bodies, that they are stored in fatty tissues (since the body doesn't know what else to do with them!) where they create problems with our future health, may cause some cancers etc, etc...

The best advice, then, is - eat everything in moderation. Stick to natural foods where possible to avoid trans-fats and excesses of salts. Ensure that unsaturated fats are part of the diet because the body cannot make them itself and try to get most of your calories from carbohydrates (and proteins, but for most people on this forum, we would prefer our proteins to go into anabolism not catabolism!).

One final word of caution; there is increasing evidence that the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids have been greatly over-estimated and many early research papers into those benefits have now been discredited...

Kind Regards
                      Dave

Comment

References please...
                        Here you go Bro [url]http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm[/url]

Comment

Now I completely see your point, initially I thought you were being flippant.

Please accept my apologies.

Great articles by the, thank you for the references.

Hi Jason,

I hope your day is going well. Thanks for the response.

The reason I asked for the references is solely to back up claims made. In forums, I have seen members throw out ideas and don't have references to support the notions they espouse. Hence the term "Broscience" rears its ugly head.

As with Deviation, I respectfully disagree with saturated fats being evil. Please consider the research of Weston A. Price as well as the fat consumption of the French. References below:

1) Weston A. Price Foundation: [url]http://bit.ly/H1ZB3Y[/url]

2) The French Paradox: [url]http://bit.ly/GXWA5X[/url]

Comment

I have removed the definition of good fats and bad fast to just fat variants but I cannot seem to change the thread title?

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonhannen View Post
                              I have removed the definition of good fats and bad fast to just fat variants but I cannot seem to change the thread title?
                              Fixed .

Comment

Working...
                              X