Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all of you and a request for help

Hi Guys,

PunkMonkey here from India. I have been into fitness for a while but for the last two years when my physical activity was almost nil and I grew a paunch, I am ashamed to admit.

Now I am gonna get into the routing starting today or tomorrow and I needed a fair bit of help here:

Should I go in for bulking routine or cutting routine- considering that I am overall slim but have reasonable belly fat?

The idea is that while I used to be skinny and had started my workouts a few years back with eating a lot, I am confused now looking at self whether I need to bulk up or be chiselled from the start. Main confusion is the belly fat. Had I been skinny as ever, I would have focused on bulking but now that I have fat on the wrong place, need advise. OI can send my pics for one to make a judgement call if need be.

Much appreciate the help, cheers

Punk

The choice is ultimately up to you, but I'd bulk. Just eat healthy and hit a bulking routine.

As a side point... Work your whole body, but if you put extra effort into shoulders and back, building those thicker, you can kind of "hide" the belly fat with a "V" shape of bulkier shoulders and lats.

Comment

Bulk. You can use the mass already attached to you and turn it into lean mass. Keep the daily calorific intake just above the bassal rate.[url]http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm[/url] use this calculator to work it out. Hope this helps mate.

Tom

Train on! Train hard!

Comment

Thanks mate

Originally posted by burghaus1 View Post
        Bulk. You can use the mass already attached to you and turn it into lean mass. Keep the daily calorific intake just above the bassal rate.[url]http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm[/url] use this calculator to work it out. Hope this helps mate.

Tom

Train on! Train hard!
        Hey thanks mate for the suggestion. I was only wondering that that I have gained these 2-3 inches over the tummy and there is some flab there, wouldnt bulking increase that flab? I thought to decrease the flab I should cut. I mean, the last thing I want is to the tummy to grow further due to bulking.

Plus, your favorite beginner's routine from the site or otherwise? Much appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Think of it more like a baby growing into its baby weight. A bit silly i know but if then end goal is to be bigger and stronger start asap and diet when you have the muscularity you want.

Train on! Train hard!

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Robertrogo
            Hello PunkMonkey,

Welcome to the JEFIT Community! Thank you very much for supporting JEFIT!

I agree with both QuintanillJoseph and burghaus1 that it is up to you but I think that you should bulk right now at the moment to help you put on that muscle mass and size. You could cut to remove that body fat but when you lift heavier weights and put on muscle, it is easier to lose body fat and burn calories at the same time while lifting heavier weights. Typically during the fall season anyways is the bulking season that you can put on the most mass and muscle that you can until the summer/spring season when you try and cut weight to show off that definition.

The last thing that you would want to do as a skinner individual is to cut weight when you are already skinny, this wouldn't do much justice for you and it seems that you already want to put on some size and mass so I would go with a bulk.

- Robert
            Thanks Robert, appreciate the help man. Quick questions: Are you certain I need to bulk up first, wouldnt you want to see a pic or something to decide whether it is the rightway? Also, how to calculate the calories in all foods I am consuming? That seems difficult too. Finally, please advise a substitute for Squats. I have some minor knee injury, dont want to aggravate it.

Cheers man

Originally posted by burghaus1 View Post
            Think of it more like a baby growing into its baby weight. A bit silly i know but if then end goal is to be bigger and stronger start asap and diet when you have the muscularity you want.

Train on! Train hard!
            Hello Burghaus,

Thanks again bro. I get going to the gym from tomorrow. Sad I did not start today. The initial days resistance pulled me down. Your favorite workout routine from the site for beginners? Please advise. Also advise a substitute for Squats. I have some minor knee injury, dont want to aggravate it.

Comment

Well personally for the natural stimulation effect you get from squats theres no better alternative. You can use isolation exercises on machines leg extentions hamstring curls and calf press machines but if you try body weight squats with great form, then either dumbell or barbell squats starting light! Plus 10 20kg at first build up the strength over time. The problem with injuries are even when your completly healed, the mind still senses an injury and holds you back, get a good training partner to spot on form and assist when needed mate. I had a tear in my abdominal wall a year ago and as a result was scared of squating because i didnt want to get a hernia, however starting light building the strength in my abs i have overcome this fear and am now making great progress in my squats. Check out the jefit begginers routine as a starting point, log everything, do it tothe book and never do more than is planned for the day. Think marathon not a sprint and in time the results will be astounding!

Train on! Train hard!
              Last edited by burghaus1; 09-03-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Depends how much fat you have?

I was alot like you fat body skinny arms chest etc

Any idea of your bodyfat percentage?

Someone mentioned the idea of turning that fat mass into lean mass which is impossible fat does NOT turn into muscle

If your bodyfat is over say 15% id look to lifting weights while eating maintainence calories which would get you into lifting maybe build abit of muscle AND lose the fat

Bulking will generally add atleast abit of fat

Whats your age height weight bodyfat % ??

Comment

You can gain lean muscle mass while losing fat -- the two objectives aren't mutually exclusive. When I did it, I did high intensity, very short rests, weight training four days a week and added a pure cardio HIIT day. While my body fat% went below about 10%, my arms, shoulders, and chest grew. After about six months, I dropped the pure cardio. Now my problem is keeping weight on, but I'm in the best shape of my life. Oh, and I started out at age 47, about 25% overweight, after having been sedentary for decades. Now I'm 49 and in better shape than when I got out of boot camp thirty years ago.

But like the man said, "train hard".

Comment

If you are skinny fat, clean bulk. By that I mean to just eat a little bit more than maintenance calories and get more muscular.

You do not need to do a dirty bulk (eating much in excess), you have some extra adipose tissue already and can make a lot of "beginner gains" relatively easy.

You do not need to cut because.. Very few people look good as skin and bones.

Comment

Working...
                    X