29 y/o in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 y/o in London

I've been moving towards the kind of relationship I always wanted with the gym for a long time, and for me getting the jefit app (when I had a phone that could handle that kind of stuff), really has helped so much the past few months. I think that once upon a time, even if I had the right phone & etc., it would have sat on the back burner and I wouldn't have utilised it like I am trying to now. Knowing where I am with everything is a massive help, and I love that I don't have to walk around the gym with a notepad. I can focus on my training and put my music on in the background!

I always wanted to get into weight training, but never really had other friends into it, and it was a very slow process. I had a serious accident a few years ago, and at my lowest recorded weight I went to 47.5kg (I'm 5ft 9), so I was dangerously underweight. I had tons of niggling health problems: ulcers, headaches, dizzy spells. Etc. I'd been put on a lot of prescription medication that slowed me down and made me really sluggish. As you might imagine, I was pretty depressed, and didn't really know how negative I was. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more I expected things to get worse - they really did.

About 4 years ago I looked at myself in the mirror and hated the reflection. My doctor offered to put me on permanent sick... But that really wasn't what I wanted or needed, so I decided at some point, that I wasn't going to be this person anymore and that I was going to change my life, and make it into the one I wanted.

Today I weigh 65 kg, and I'm in a really good space. I think that I use this application well, but I would like to maybe track more things and perhaps see what the forum is about, as I still don't have many friends who are into fitness and well-being the same way that I am.

First post I've put up on here so my way of saying hi and introducing myself.
    Last edited by bowes1985; 07-25-2014, 01:50 PM. Reason: didnt say I was a newbie to the boards and have added this onto the end

Welcome! Great to see that you were able to turns things around and making progress again. You've come to the right place for workout friends. Do you have a certain plan in place or are you still working it out?

Comment

I picked one routine a while back and tried to stick to it. Although I'd gone into the gym with a vague idea of what I wanted to do, I think the visual aspect of Jefit has helped me focus what I do in the gym.

I'm at that stage where I am seeing some gains, but could really push through if I sorted out a decent routine. The gains are due to having direction as well.

I teeter between undertraining and overtraining. My energy levels this week have been phenomenal though, and it's the first time I've ever successfully trained 5 days in a row. It's been hard going getting past a plateau and being able to get up early to go in before work, but I can honestly say I feel great.

I've always done at least 2/3 times a week, and sometimes haven't tracked things, but this is the first time I've really made an effort the night before to do things like prepare my bag before I leave.

My weak points are my legs and calves. I really would like those to be solid, but they're more like spindles... I also am eating a lot better than I was - but I am not taking in the calories that I need to in order to build the kind of mass that I need to.

At least I have a lot to keep me busy! I'm not trying to be like anyone else. I just want to be the best version of me that I can possibly be, and I'd like to be a bit bigger/wider, but in proportion (leg wise)

Comment

Hi bowes 1985, sounds like you are making progress. Having enough energy to workout is important.

There are workouts that target legs, for example JEFIT has one [url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=20538[/url].

I have sent a friend request. You will find virtual workout pals here. Just reach out.

Comment

@liftheavyweights thank you for that link! I'll definitely use that routine.

It's great that there is a friendly culture where people can help motivate each other here.

Comment

Working...
          X