No announcement yet.

I want my Physique Back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you weighing yourself everyday? Looks like it from your MFP updates. I'd stop that and just weigh in weekly.

Comment

I find daily weighing useful for motivation. The actual weight doesn't matter, nor does the occasional spike, it's the trend I'm looking for. Otherwise my motivation slips and my diet slips and I end up gaining weight (fat). Daily weighing works for me because if the weight goes down I feel good about myself (and I really need that!!!) and I redouble my efforts to keep the calories down. If the weight doesn't change or goes up I feel bad, and if I'm not careful I feel like giving up, but most of the time I remind myself that it went down yesterday or the day before and I carry on.

If I weigh myself weekly, I lose interest in the process and then I lose interest in the diet and - well... if you look at the chart I posted you can easily see the periods when I wasn't weighing myself, and you can easily see what happens as a result!!!

Daily weighing doesn't work for everybody - but I find it a useful motivational tool.

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

Damn you McDonald's Adverts every few feet as I'm cycling to the gym!!!

Just to spite you I went to Burger King instead. One Smoked Bacon Angus with Cheddar Cheese, Super Fries, Onion Rings and an orange juice later and I'm 1,600 calories down on my budget.

An exhausting 1,427 calories burned in the gym later and hopefully I'm under budget for the day, but I guess the truth will be on my balance tomorrow...

Kind Regards
        Dave

Comment

Yep.... Weight's up by 0.5kg....

It's muscle... I'm sure it must be muscle....

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
            Yep.... Weight's up by 0.5kg....

It's muscle... I'm sure it must be muscle....

Kind Regards
            Dave

Go the toilet, come back, try again!

Comment

Smart-arse!!!

I always weigh myself after using the toilet in the morning but before consuming food/drink...

Still you could be right, it might just be an increase in intestinal contents...

Kind Regards
              Dave

Comment

Have significant DOMS today so I allowed this to interfere with me going to the gym today.

However, I anticipated this, that's one of the reasons why I trained two bodyparts yesterday - got ahead of the game by a day, so that's okay.

Get the DOMS thing out of the way, and I should be able to set to regular training next week...

Still got arms and legs to do... and although I trained chest on Saturday, going to try and squeeze an extra chest workout in this week (tomorrow) so I can move the training day to Monday where it belongs...

Hoping to get to dance class on Wednesday and Friday so need to leave legs to Friday so that DOMS doesn't stop me joining a class.

Kind Regards
                Dave

Comment

Okay, this has been unpleasant!

I restarted my fitness regime this week. Because I've not been training properly for a while, I reduced all the weights and concentrated on proper form and technique throughout. It's possible I overtrained a little because I don't usually do cardio but I've added it to my current routine in order to try and accelerate fat loss.

As part of this I have been severely restricting my calorie intake so it's possible that this has had an impact on me too...

Whatever, there was no point in the workouts when I was aware of doing anything that caused injury. I have in the past had a recurring problem with an apparent trapped nerve in my neck which can cause shooting pains down my chest or back and transmitted pain. I have previously aggravated this problem when doing Chins (Pullups) or other Trapezius exercises like vertical rows etc. I even once caused it during Pec Deck (Machine Flyes) possibly because I arched my back too much?

Both chins and Pec Deck were in my workout this week, but I only do assisted chins now, and I did them with 60kg of assistance so my body-weight resistence should only have been about 17kg. I reduced the Pec Deck weight to only 20kg and did them really strictly with no arching of the back.

At no point was there an sharp pains such as I would normally associate with having trapped the nerve or caused other injuries. The closest I came to that was doing Straight Arm Lateral Pulldowns (having reduced the weight by 30% or so) where I could really feel the core working to stabilise me, especially on the right side.

Been experiencing quite a bit of DOMS all week, so have been working out every other day (doing two workouts) instead of every day with one bodypart per day (five way split). So I did Chest on Saturday, Shoulders & Back Monday, Chest on Wednesday (trying to get back to a Monday for chest) - not the same routine as Saturday - along with Arms on Wednesday.

I didn't have time to do forearms on Wednesday so I was going to do that Thursday and Legs on Friday (although cycling to the gym each time was a leg workout in itself).

Now, Tuesday, following the Back/Shoulders workout on Monday I started feeling really sore, especially in the core on the right side (which I put down to the Straight Arm Pulldowns - I should say that I do abs exercises most days). This continued on Wednesday so I was careful during my workout. On Thursday if was a little worse so I decided not to go to the gym that day, and not to do any crunches, but I did do some light swimming. The plan for forearms and legs later in the week would hopefully allow me to rest the torso.

Thursday night, when I went to bed, my torso suddenly convulsed and my entire right side went into spasm. I tried to stretch out, but could only cope by lying in a curve to the left. This got steadily worse during the night and sometime around 3am, having taken pain killers with no effect, I called a Doctor. I could only cope with the spasm by standing upright and it was making my breathing difficult and painful.

This has continued to today. I have been prescribed a muscle-relaxant - Temazipam - but that hasn't helped much. I've had to find ways to sleep sitting upright (wedged in position with pillows) and I have been in absolute agony.

Having a hot bath and self-massage yesterday made matters even worse. Today there has been some easing and I have been able to adopt a variety of positions, do some gentle stretching a bit more self-massage and get a little sleep, but if I sit in the wrong position, get up or try to lie down I still go into spasms.

The Doctor was baffled as to what is causing it (but she's not very good - and she told me recently that bodybuilding doesn't help you lose weight and is no good for fitness, so I know she is not particularly good at being a GP!), I can only suppose that I may have damaged my core during those Straight Arm Pulldowns - or that I have damaged my trapped nerve again - or both although I am not aware of having really done either. The irony is that I saw a physiotherapist a week or so ago to ask them, knowing I was returning to the gym, how to avoid the nerve problem and they identified my posture as being the most likely cause and gave me some advice for adjusting my posture. I'm wondering if the changes in my posture somehow predisposed me to be vulnerable to nerve damage?

Whatever... it HURTS!!!

Kind Regards
                  Dave

Comment

So tried to sleep in my own bed last night but started going into spasms again. Can currently only sleep sitting in an upright position but draping myself in a curve to the left over the arm of my sofa.

Other than that, when upright and active I'm not having any problems. It's when I lie down or when something makes me bend to the right that the problems start.

Here's the issue; it's Monday, really wanted to get going with Chest Day today but I don't dare do anything in case I aggravate the condition and prevent it from healing.

Can anybody give me in advice? My Doctor is useless...

Kind Regards
                    Dave

PS. On the plus side my weight is now 75.5kg and my Body Fat is around 18% according to the Tanita....

Comment

Could be as simple as a strain. Spasms aren't uncommon when you pull something. Ice, rest, and ibuprofen. And poor posture can cause pain in random places. Have you seen a chiropractor at all? Might be able to adjust you and get you loosened up a bit.

You may want to drop down to 1 workout a day 3-5 days a week. Sounds like you're trying to injure yourself.

Your doctor sounds a little quacky.

Comment

My split is Monday chest (two different routines that I alternate weekly), Tues Back, Wed Arms, Thurs Legs, Fri Shoulders. Each workout is just 45 mins.

In addition I'm trying to beef up cardio (15 mins walking on treadmill, 15 mins elliptical) as well as road cycling.

Last week was unusual in that I was trying to get back into a routine. But I didn't want to wait for Monday to get going, so I started on Saturday (chest), that's why I tried to move the Chest into the middle of the week so that the following week I could move it to monday and I would have worked chest three times in three weeks. Since I was working with lighter than normal weights I thought I could get away with it.

I also try everymorning, when first getting up in the morning and before breakfast, doing a set of 20 or so pressups, 30 crunches, and 30 crossbody crunches (each side).

Last week I was also planning to start attending Ballroom dancing classes again, on Wednesdays and Fridays and I didn't want DOMS to prevent that, so I planned to work legs on the Friday before (or maybe after) the dance class so that the DOMS wouldn't hit until Saturday and would have time to resolve before the next class on Wednesday.

But, once routine was established, the plan was 1 workout per day (45 mins) 5 days a week with no bodypart worked more than once, and a gap between shoulder and back workouts for recovery. At least one of the weekend days would be a rest day but I hadn't ruled out doing an abs workout, cardio workout or developmental stretch session on one of the weekend days.

I don't think there was any danger in the plan and I almost worked to this plan last year (tended to only get to the gym four times in the week, so had to double up one of the workouts in order to cram everything in...).

The injury is somewhat unexpected. I don't think Chiropracters are available on the NHS, and the Physio didn't help.

Kind Regards
                        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

I train in the morning before work, I cant be arsed to go up the gym in the evenings and there is always a reason not to go e.g. family meal, football on tv etc etc. It was hard getting up at 6am at first but after one week of sticking with it I swear by it now.

Whatever works for you bro, I hope you find your mojo.

Comment

Another Day, Another Graph!!!

My weight was below 75kg today for the first time in over two years!!! And that was despite the sausages I ate yesterday (not my fault, honestly - well, maybe a little my fault...).

Still having problems with muscle spasms so I haven't risked the gym this week but I did do a little gentle swimming last night.

Just 5kg off my weightloss goal now...

Kind Regards
                            Dave

Comment

This is my Net Calories vs Gross Calorie chart for February-sh!!!

Kind Regards
                              Dave

Comment

My cheap and nasty skinfold calipers say my bodyfat% today is 13-14%. With the spare tyre I still have around my waist (a good 5kg worth I'd say...) this is clearly incorrect. My Tanita puts me in the 18-19% which seems more realistic.

Kind Regards
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X