PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first? Bulk/cut Cut/bulk?

dozerboy42
12-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Ok--starting out again in the gym, but going to be very focused and serious this time. In the past i lifted for muscle. So which do you focus on first bulk up then cut or cut then bulk up? Probably stupid question but would like your thoughts and reasons for your opinion.

tjwood
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Presumably that depends on your starting point.

mrwright
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Bulk.

To bulk up you need to put on size and weight, so it's abit pointless to lose weight first unless your at the point where you really need to lose weight

Deviation
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
^This . . . .

decu68
12-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't see any point for anybody to do any "cutting" unless their are competing. If you are just looking to make your muscles stand out more than lift heavy, incorporate cardio, eat healthy and monitor what is going in, drink more water and get adequate sleep/rest. The rest should take care of itself over time if done right.

If you are starting out overweight, all this should help with weight loss. You can than tweak it as you go but the above would still be your basics. Your cardio may increase more and what you eat can play an important role for sure but focusing on bulking and cutting shouldn't be.

And the term bulking, not big on that either. How many times have you seen a guy all big looking over weight saying he is bulking before cutting? What a waste and they obviously have no clue.

Deviation
12-15-2011, 01:57 AM
Heh. Valid points, but those terms are stuck here. You do have to eat if you want to get big. The problem is that most people eat everything and anything without paying attention.

decu68
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
True Deviation AND there is a fine line between eating too much and not eating enough. I have this problems myself and have yet to figure it out. I want to get bigger but I don't want the extra weight it comes with however when I cut back on eating so I don't get the extra bad weight I'm then not eating enough to get bigger muscle wise. And because I'm 43 and my metabolism has slowed down, this makes it a greater challenge.

In the last month and a bit I've incorporated skipping into my cardio which has helped considerably BUT now I'm finding like I did in my 20's and 30's, this is having a negative effect on my lifting. Finding a balance here has also always been something I struggled with.

If I had great genetics, perhaps was younger, had a personal nutritionist and trainer I probably could be on track with what I want. Sadly I have NONE of these so keep plodding on. In retrospect, I am proud of my accomplishments and that I have continued all of these years with the ups and downs I have experienced; I've accomplished more than most. I give myself a pat on the back.

brodiel99
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM

bingo. you would want to cut if you wanted to get rid of fat then bulk up since you gain some bf when bulking. but if you're low body fat then you could bulk (maybe two bulk cycles) then cut. all up to you.

-Best of luck.

decu68
12-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Somebody please explain to me how one is bulking up? Are you eating everything and anything while lifting so that you are putting on UNWANTED weight? If so than stop and eat healthier so that you don't have to burn off the unwanted weight. Are you a professional body building and need to cut for competitions? How much to you think you are going to gain while lifting heavy to get big that you think you will need to cut afterwards? I don't get it.

mrwright
12-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Somebody please explain to me how one is bulking up? Are you eating everything and anything while lifting so that you are putting on UNWANTED weight? If so than stop and eat healthier so that you don't have to burn off the unwanted weight. Are you a professional body building and need to cut for competitions? How much to you think you are going to gain while lifting heavy to get big that you think you will need to cut afterwards? I don't get it.

I'm eating anything and everything! haha

but i supose even if your eating healthy, chances are your going to atleast put on some weight/have some weight on already that you don't want, then you cut to get the "beach body"

junkedbrian
12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
you should "bulk up" by lifting heavy and eating the right number of calories in a day. Figure out how much you need to maintain your weight, then add in how much you burned at the gym / other exercise. Having a 40/40/20% protein/carb/fat diet or even 50/30/20 will help out too. The important thing is bulking up by eating shit food isn't doing yourself any favours, you don't need to eat extra calories (unless you want to get fat) you just need to eat the right amount.. of course if you're under 30 you can still pretty much eat whatever the hell you want.

dacox2
12-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok--starting out again in the gym, but going to be very focused and serious this time. In the past i lifted for muscle. So which do you focus on first bulk up then cut or cut then bulk up? Probably stupid question but would like your thoughts and reasons for your opinion.

If you are the avarage person I would say Cut First.

Reason It is easy dropping weight and when you can see some muscle deffenition start building.

It is very motivating to look at your muscles while lifting if they are covered with fat it kinda a bummer looking in the mirror.

decu68
12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Again, eat proper and just lift. Lifting will increase your muscle size, which will burn more fat. Later if you want to fine tune things than add/increase your cardio. If eating too many calories for your body to use than cut back. I wouldn't worry about when to cut or when to bulk; just lift.

My personal experience, in 1997 I weighed 193 lbs and with 6 months of lifting I was 165 lbs and stronger and leaner than I had been for years. Years later at 205 lbs I am still stronger and leaner than I was. I didn't worry about cutting to lose the unwanted fat, I relied on proper eating and lifting only; it works. Cardio at that time; zero.

If your goals are to big bigger and stronger than there is no time like the present. If you are just looking to drop some weight and burn some fat than do intense cardio. Either way incorporate proper eating, rest, water intake, etc.

1dewayne
12-31-2011, 12:52 AM
Eating healthy is preferd while adding weight increase calories slightly to find how much your body needs to add. Keep a close eye on
bodyfat so you don't have to lose aloft of fat when shiftless weather gets here. I don't want to get above 15% myself as I am at 13% now it is time to reduce calories slightly.
Just what I feel comfortable with.

tjohnstad
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
you should "bulk up" by lifting heavy and eating the right number of calories in a day.

Figure out how much you need to maintain your weight, then add in how much you burned at the gym / other exercise.

The important thing is bulking up by eating shit food isn't doing yourself any favours!

AGREED!

Eat more than you burn, and pump more than you used to! = bulking.
Burn more than you eat, and pump as hard as you`re used to = cutting!

I recommend you too eat healthy food and dont get too in love with MRP`s!