PDA

View Full Version : Lifting dumbbells for Shoulder Press

umarkriaz
01-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi

I'm having problems lifting dumbbells and starting the exercise when they rest on my thighs. The only way I can do the exercise is by lifting them off the floor and having thereby having enough momentum to get them up in the air to start the exercise. The weight of dumbbells is fine when I am actually doing the exercise. Any advice? I tried lifting the knees but found it a struggle and failed. Is there a correct way of lifiting them off the floor when seated to start the exercise?

Thanks in advance!

tjohnstad
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Try doing it in a Smith machine :)
I know it aint dumbells, but in a period until you "feel" fit to do it the "other way" it can be good for you..

KEEP IT UP! ;)

Deviation
01-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you're starting too heavy. It's shoulder work, so go light to start with.

mrwright
01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Yea be really careful, if you can't lift the weights up start with ones you can, even if you can manage to do the exercise!

you'll only truly realize how much you use your shoulders, when there messed up!

decu68
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Managing larger weights can be very difficult especially when dealing with dumbbells due to each arm now is solely responsible for its own stabilizing. Always take it careful and know your limits. I personally find when doing these exercises to be seated and I will adjust the seat to lean against. It usually is a slight incline however it adds some stability to start out with so that once I have the weights up to shoulder level I can then sit straight.

volcom54o
01-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you may be overworking your shoulders and under working your overall arm strength. The body needs to be somewhat even in muscle mass. When the muscles of one part are stronger than a surrounding muscle the result usually ends in long term injury.

Try lifting a little less weight with a spotter, and make sure the surrounding muscles are properly worked.

Also if doing the exercise standing, make sure to use proper momentum; somewhat like a kettlebell snatch. But keep your back straight.

irkie500
01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Volcom brings up a good point about overworking shoulders. Any press type motion also uses the triceps quite a bit to help move the weight. I would try to improve on arm strength by doing some tricep extensions to see if that helps you out. I just did my shoulder press today with dumbells and with 65 in each arm getting started was tough. Use a strong push from your leg and get em up there. Also just grab somebody from the gym to help you get them up there.

umarkriaz
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
The push from the leg is impossible for me. Is there a correct way of doing that?

Deviation
01-29-2012, 02:18 AM
The push from the leg is impossible for me. Is there a correct way of doing that?
If its that hard, lower the weight.

JackMarTIn
02-21-2012, 07:25 AM
It's not actually a Common thing i mean I also Doing this all for a long while and until Yet I haven't got this kinda problem anyway i think you should try The Smith Machine. Perhaps That'd be better for you..

mrwright
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Definatly sounds like the weights are too heavy.

And another way to get them up i find is if you stand up with the weights, then like swing them up as you sit down using your momentum they should fly up

But lower the weights!

codyrt
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I'd also recommend doing some cuban presses.
If you don't know what those are, it is basically having the dumbbells at your side (standing) and bringing them up to the starting position for a shoulder press then back down.

Search around online for good form and better instructions I know mine are very vague. Make sure as with any new exercise you start with low weight and don't progress upwards unless you have solid form with the current weight.

EDIT:
OK I found a great video demonstrating what I was describing above. It is the first exercise in the video after he talks about how easy cardio machines have gotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA

He shows resting your arm on a surface which actually is much better as it will isolate the muscles better.