PDA

View Full Version : New member with new stack review

M3RRY
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
How's it going guys, I have had this application for my workouts for a little over 2 months and I love it, however I am new to the forums. I am 25 years old, and I have always enjoyed working out and staying fit. Typically, I have used just a multivitamin and a post workout low carb protein shake as I have not wanted to gain weight, I like being lean. However, lately I have been wanting to gain a little wait but continue to stay lean as well. Currently I am 167lbs and 10.8% body fat (as of my last test 3 months ago). My main goal is to be at 185 and continue to keep a low percentage of body fat. I did a lot of research and came across a few supplements I was going to give a try to help me reach my goal. I am not new to working out, however I am new to different supplements besides protein, so any info or reviews about the ones I chose would be great. I was born with an irregular heartbeat and I know that pre-workout supplements are typically spiked with stimulants, so after a few sample packs I decided to stick with a nice BCAA mix to use as my pre-workout. Here is my small stack, I will keep everyone updated on progress and thoughts about the products I am using.

I work long hours so I always get to the gym at around 6am.

I start with Dymatize ISO 100 Smooth Banana shake with skim milk mixed with a carb source (bagel,cereal,etc..)
EDIT: Also add I take Animal Pak multi when I wake up.
I take 3 tablets of Now amino9 essentials BCAA pre and post workout. (5 is one serving)
One serving of Purple Wraath amino acid mix during my workout.
One serving of Now Omega 3-6-9 fish oil post workout.
One serving of Dark Matter post workout supp immediately after workout.

Today again was my first day using this and I worked on my shoulders and arms, pretty good workout so I am excited to see how I feel in the morning as Dark Matter is known to be a great post workout to help with sorenessa and recovery. It is a thick drink overall, however is decently tasting. Again, I will let you know the progress of how I am doing, hopefull I will get a few followers to give me their advice and reviews if you have used the product. Thanks for tuning in!! Talk to you soon!

Dustin Merry

M3RRY
01-31-2012, 03:15 PM
So far I have still felt a nice pump going throughout my day. I have heard many people feeling the same way from the Dark Matter, tastes great, again a little thick but overall not bad at all. The pump I have feels almost like I just stopped lifting, but I was out of the gym at 745am.. Only downfall so far with todays experience is the Omega fish oil makes my burps taste really fishy (however that is expected I guess, but I have never taken fish oil so just not used to it).

OptikaNET
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
To be honest I think that, unless you are an olympic powerlifter, most supplements are a waste of money. With the exception of the one supplement you don't have there - creatine!!!

If you've got money to burn then fair enough. So far as I can see, none of that is going to do you any harm. "Dark Matter" I'm unfamiliar with but a quick google shows it's essentially a sophisticated protein shake.

If you are looking to gain muscle mass, getting plenty of protein is the key. During a mass gaining phase I have at least three protein shakes a day and load with creatine (lots of articles out there on how to most effectively use creatine - remember to take time away from it as well, or the body will stop making its own).

Branched Chain Amino Acids are vital to the body, and shown to have anabolic properties, but I'm unconvinced that the cost of purified AAs is justified, since they are found in whey protein isolates anyway (perhaps in lower quantities).

My advice is to get the diet right, and supplement with lots of protein; varied protein sources are best in the diet (soya, egg, milk (whey and casein), beans, fish, white meat, red meat etc) and whey shakes are quite cheap. Use creatine as directed and take a multivitamin.

The rest is entirely optional. Your goals are perfectly achievable without it as long as you get into the gym and work those weights. A postworkout protein something is essential. An energy drink or equivalent will keep your blood sugar stable as you workout (on energy drinks your-mileage-may-vary, but personally I find them essential. Best option is to mix your own, but I see no harm in the commercial ones used in moderation).

It's common to put on a little fat as you gain muscle mass. This can be avoided with careful diet (at risk of putting the muscle on more slowly), or - since it sounds like you have a fast metabolism anyway - you can accept the weight and then cut when you reach your desired muscle mass. It sounds as if that would be relatively easy for you. (Some of us find this hard!).

It's up to you, and no doubt there are some hardcore-supplement fans on this forum who'll be along in a moment to tell you how wrong I am (supplements tend to be somewhat of a "marmite" issue and their fans can be quite - errmmm... vocal!). To be honest, though, I think you are being misled by all the advertising out there as it sounds like you are quite capable of reaching your goals without spending all this money on pseudo-pharmaceuticals!

Best of luck with your workouts!

Kind Regards
Dave

M3RRY
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Thank you very much for your imput Dave, it is really appreciated. I edited my original post as I forgot to mention that I also take Animal Pak as my multi (used to use megamen sport, but wanted to try something new). Also, I know about creatine, and I have done a lot of research into these products before using them. Dark Matter does have Creatine in it, and from reading probably over 100 reviews, the overall product rates a 4.8 of 5 on fitflex.com (great website for reviews). I also do not want to take any energy drinks or potent pre-workouts as again I have an irregular heartbeat and do not want to take anything that is spiked with stimulants. Thank you a ton for all information, I look forward to progress.

OptikaNET
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Then make your own energy drinks; for example - 2 spoons of glucose powder, 1 spoon of Fructose powder and six scoops of hydrolysed corn starch in a litre of water and flavour with whatever you want (eg orange squash - but I recommend you use the sugar-free versions or it ends up REALLY sweet!).

You can add a spoonful of salt to that or - better still - rehydration salts. Maybe a soluble multivitamin.

I'm sure there are better recipes out there, but that is the one I used to use.

Kind Regards
Dave

OptikaNET
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Personally I don't recommend taking protein supplementation during a workout - it will overtax the digestive system at a time the body is diverting blood flow away from the viscera and to the muscles and skin. The most likely result is bloating and nausea, and it's likely that all but simple nutrients (eg glucose etc) will simply go straight through you without being absorbed!

I'm not sure of the wisdom of taking Amino Acid supplements during the workout. If they are purified molecules then they are pretty simple and may be absorbed (simple sugars are absorbed by the stomach but Aminos are absorbed in the Duodenum and so, since the stomach empties half its contents in one hour, it is likely that taking them during workout won't actually make any difference at all!) but I suspect they probably won't be taken up during the workout anyway.

During the workout sugars and rehydration salts are the thing (and vitamin C is valuable too), post workout is when you want to feed the body - especially in the hour immediately following exercise.

Kind Regards
Dave

PS, there are lots of studies saying this supplement or that supplement helps workout. In my experience of reading these things for twenty years I find that no sooner does one come out than another comes out which contradicts it. The fact is that the biochemistry of exercise is very complex and hard to study in isolation. In something like 50 years the basic exercise advice has hardly changed! Despite all the may-fly studies...

M3RRY
01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you for that recipe, maybe after this phase I will give it a shot. Your information is great and very appreciated, thank you Dave! keep in touch with this thread and give me advice while I go along the journey! haha

thanks again!

M3RRY
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Well today was day two. I have very little soreness from my arms and shoulders workout yesterday. Today I did a recovery of shoulders (light weight) just to stretch them a little and I worked my chest hard. I really pushed myself as hard as I could go to really see how this Dark Matter works. I am ALWAYS really sore after a chest workout, so we will see if all these reviews I have read are accurate. As for everything my feelings overall, I feel great. I know this is only the second day, but I am really pumping myself up to go strong during this trial.

Also, I heard that refrigerating the Omega 3 pills really reduces the fishy burps... I will try that as well and let you know.

Any advice again is appreciated. I will check my weight this weekend and see where I stand as well.

M3RRY
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Alright, for anyone who is slightly paying attention to this haha, today I did feel a little sore in the shoulders, but nothing too bad at all. However, I will be finding out for sure how well this Dark Matter works as I did legs today and I am ALWAYS veryyy sore after legs, I don't know why. Also, keeping those Omega pills in the refrigerator really did work! Barely any fishy burps lol. I know this is not supposed to be a review website, but I am doing this log for my own experience and tracking of the different things I am trying. I am very excited to see where I stand one,two, and even three months down the line.

M3RRY
02-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Well today was not bad at all! I went to the gym and usually when I start off with a light cardio workout to get warmed up, I can really feel it in my legs after a great leg workout the day before. Today I felt great, legs had minimal soreness and I was able to complete my whole workout without much fatigue. After taking many different samples, I really cannot get over how well I feel while working out after a serving of Purple Wraath, it gives me the energy, pump, and endurance I have been looking for.
Today I actually added a few exercises to my arms and shoulder routine as I was not that tired after finishing my normal workout, and with the application I use to track my progress, I had broke a few of my own personal records, so I wasn't going light at all. So far I am pleased with this stack and feel like there is not much I would change, again I will have to see how I feel after a full cycle. Hope everyone had a great day.

M3RRY
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Well after a huge weekend auto show on Saturday night, and the Super Bowl last night.. I was a litte tired for the gym this morning. I will be doing the chest and back p90x tonight as the workout to make up for it. I will also be weighing myself tonight to see where I stand compared to the 167lbs. I am not expecting much, however I feel great. I have felt better and better everyday in the gym and I am beating 1rm records with this JEFIT app almost everyday, and that is a great feeling. I will keep you all posted on future progress tomorrow.

Robertrogo
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I will also be weighing myself tonight to see where I stand compared to the 167lbs. I am not expecting much, however I feel great. I have felt better and better everyday in the gym and I am beating 1rm records with this JEFIT app almost everyday, and that is a great feeling. I will keep you all posted on future progress tomorrow.

Knowing that you are feeling better and that you are happier with yourself is the ultimate result of all, yes the weight and the muscle mass is always a good thing but feeling confident in yourself knowing that you are doing things to benefit your overall health and making yourself is truly the greatest accomplishment of all and I know this might sound weird but proud of you. I know how that feeling is as when I first started working out and seeing results I felt healthier, looked better, woke up better and easier and overall was just extremely happy with myself and to know that another user is feeling that way from working out and sticking to their routine, along with using our application of course, is very rewarding and a great thing.

The one thing I noticed is that you are taking Animal Paks and I just got my new shipment today while at work and going to take them right before I lift along with my, SNI Whey Protein, Muscle Pharm Creatine and Nitric Blast Pre-Workout. I read some people take them right as they wake up and others right before they workout and of course after they workout. I still cannot decide on the route I want to take when taking this supplement because I know I will be taking them after I workout but cant decide between either when I wake up or right before. I want to make the most out of this vitamin pack (I used to take them back in college and a few months ago and I did it mostly right before I worked out but then some days right as I woke up, so I dunno haha)

Are you still on your same stack that you originally posted on? Made any changes at all or so? Seen any results physically as well besides feeling great?

I wish you the best of luck with your routine and continued success M3RRY!

-Robert

Deviation
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
For the fish burps, get the eccentric coated pills. Well worth the price difference. I take these: http://www.naturemade.com/Products/Supplements/Fish-Oil-1200-mg-Burp-Less

M3RRY
02-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Thank you Deviation, I will give those a shot next time, however keeping them in the fridge as odd as that sounds has done wonders! Thank you for the support Robertrogo, I appreciate that. Overall like I was saying I am in pretty decent shape, however I wanted to get a little bigger, and I have noticed a little size in my shoulders and neck, so I am getting pleased with that. I have not changed a thing about my stack, I wanted peoples overall advice to see what their thoughts were and what they changed, but I wanted to keep a full cycle with mine before making any changes, giving the product some time to prove itself! haha. It has been great so far, and believe it or not, I feel like I am getting better workouts without the pre-workout stimulants in most of the PW's out there. I had superpump max and it wasn't bad, I tried 1MR, tried noxplode, mostly just the trial packs except superpump, I bought the full pack.. but overall I love the Purple Wraath, I have actually been drinking that as a pre-workout and with that I take the Animal Pak (about an hour before getting to the gym), by the time I get there, I am ready to go! Then I have my Dark Matter just after and I feel great. I will have to post some pictures up soon to show progress, again it has only been a week, but it seems to be rolling in the right direction... Oh, also, I weighed myself tonight.. 169lbs.. 2lbs more! Not sure if that is because of what I have eaten today or not.. but who knows :) Thanks again guys!

jeromechicago
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
For the fish burps, get the eccentric coated pills. Well worth the price difference. I take these: http://www.naturemade.com/Products/Supplements/Fish-Oil-1200-mg-Burp-Less

"Eccentric?" :-)

Deviation
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
"Eccentric?" :-)
Heh. Someone was reading the post. Got a little fast fingered there. e n t e r i c ... enteric coated. :p

OptikaNET
02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
[The Doctor] "It's an Etheric Beam Locator, it's also useful for detecting ion-charged emissions." [/The Doctor]

M3RRY
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
So it has been a few days and I just wanted to put up and update. I worked on my legs yesterday, again, I am sore, but not nearly as sore as I used to be after a leg workout. This Dark Matter is really helping and is a great tasting drink in my opinion. As for my weakest muscle, my chest, I had a great chest workout on Tuesday. I am seeing great gains in my chest workouts over the last few workouts. If I was doing sets of 5, I would do it with about 165lbs, which for me, is pretty good considering my build and body weight. I have never been happy with that, but on Tuesday I did a super set to warm up with 135lbs (half way down, then up 7 times, all the way down to half way up 7 times, and then 7 full presses. After that I did 185lbs for sets 2 and 3 for 5 reps.. then went to 205 for 5 reps and my fifth rep I went to 225! However I was only able to get it up 3 times... But I am very, very happy with that. I hope everyone else is doing well, talk to you next time! Have a great day!!

M3RRY
02-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Well I wasn't able to get to the gym this morning, so I did the p90x arms and shoulders workout when I got home from work. I like to mix in these workouts anyway for a little variety. Here are some progress pictures so far, sorry for the crappy quality, it was in my basement with my camera phone.

Deviation
02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Looking good man. Have you started a log yet?

M3RRY
02-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks man, yea I have been using this application actually as my log. It has been a good tool for seeing progress. I even added my p90x routines in the application under the "custom" format so I can track those as well.

Deviation
02-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Well of course you log it in JEFIT. ;) I meant one of these: http://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Public-Log

M3RRY
02-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh haha, sorry, I am not that familiar with this site yet, but no I have not started one on there. I wish I could just upload what I have in my phone into that, would make life so much easier haha.

M3RRY
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Well guys, it has been a few days and I wanted to check in. The reason it has been a few days is because I was going hard 4-5 days a week at the gym and decided to give myself three straight days off and just stretch for about a half hour every night. I gotta tell you, I feel amazing! I will be doing a p90x tonight and back to the gym first thing in the morning. I will also update my weight and body fat as I bought one of those bowflex bfi scales, pretty excited to use it to keep my stats. Hope all is well with you guys, talk to you soon!

OptikaNET
02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
Sounds like it's going really well. Rest is important - it can be as valuable for growth as the exercise in the first place!!!

I'm resting today because I am really sore.

Kind Regards
Dave

M3RRY
02-14-2012, 09:20 PM
yeah Dave, I have not since the beginning of december just taken a few days off and just stretch.. I really do feel relaxed and ready to go again. I am excited to get back into it tonight. One thing I can not get into for some reason is Yoga, I try and do the yogo in the p90x and I can't stay into it. I mix those p90x exercises in with the ones I have made for myself via the JEFIT app just to confuse the muscles a little bit. Any advice on what people do to stay connected with yoga, it is a supposed to be a great stretching and relaxing exercise and I just dont see that to be the case haha.

M3RRY
02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Well, I wanted to post in here again seeing how it was a few days since my last post. I was away for family the last week or so and unfortunately my workouts suffered because of that. I did however do a P90X workout last night and did a pretty good cardio and ab workout at the gym this morning to get myself back into the swing. Both times I had the stack as I have said I have been taking it and still feel great. How is everyone else doing?

Jasonhannen
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Dustin

I would suggest checking out this thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I found it a bit of a head f*ck at first as there is quite a bit of information but I stuck with it and gained some amazing knowledge on nutritional goals. I not long into using my new nutritional goals based on the info from the thread and I'm already seeing benefits the biggest of which is growing without putting on body fat and not feeling fatigued.

I use myfitnesspal.com to ensure I am hitting my correct daily nutritional goals.

Anyway you are clearly much more experienced and I am not implying anything other than you might find some valuable information in that thread to help with your target of growing but maintaining a low body fat percentage.

Good luck bro

PS great advice from Dave. I wished I had someone like that giving me advice when I first started, I would not have wasted 2 years of training.

M3RRY
02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Jason, I am really not that experienced so I will def take a look at that info and see what it is all about. I want to finish this rotation with the products I have and see what I think I want to replace depending on other products reviews. For the most part, I am pleased with the products that I am using, but could be talked into trying different things. Thanks again!

M3RRY
02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Just an update! According to my new bowflex and information that I have received from Dave (OptikaNET), I have updated readings on my body fat percentage. According to the Bowflex Body Fat Scale last night I was 170.2 lbs and 14.9% body fat and I will be using this to track future progress. Thank you for your support and information!

M3RRY
03-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I have been slacking, I haven't been going as strong to the gym and just doing minimal things at home to get by. Have not had the motivation this last week for some reason. Not happy with myself and will try hard to get back at it with updates tomorrow. Thanks for the support