PDA

View Full Version : Bulking/Cutting & being a Cyclist

robtheslob
02-04-2012, 08:21 PM
I used to be an avid bicyclist (400-700 miles/month), until I got hit by a bus a couple years ago. I've also had a muscular build and as I've been recovering I've focused alot more on building that up. I just bought a new bike and am trying to plan a new workout routine to find balance. I know I need to split up cardio/weights and also ingest protein/carbs on long rides before my glycogen stores are depleted so I don't burn muscle. what I need help with is figuring out what i should do with my lower body in my gym rotation. The way i work out now is often to muscle failure and then is days before I could comfortably do HIT (like cycling) with that muscle group. So should I drop my leg day unless I don't plan on riding for a few days? Should a spread my leg workout across all my workouts to lower the intensity? Does anyone have a workout designed around the lower body muscle groups that aren't highly utilized in cycling?

OptikaNET
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
That's a good question. It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with an answer.

As a cyclist myself, I use the bike as a means of transport, not as a workout in itself, so I don't make any changes to my schedule to accomodate it; unless I really tire my legs out (pun not intended) and have to take a couple of days rest. If I'm expecting to do a lot of cycling for some reason (eg attending an organised bike ride) I may try to arrange things so I haven't worked legs within two days of the event, but beyond that I let things lie as they fall.

Having said that, I seldom work to full failure.

Kind Regards
Dave

tjwood
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd say lower the intensity of your leg workouts to the point that they don't affect your cycling too much. All leg muscles are used in cycling to some extent though I guess most of the work is quads and glutes.

Presumably your cycling is not overly competitive (or else I guess you wouldn't be wanting to add bulk to your upper body!) but if you do compete then presumably avoiding too much gym work for a few days before a race is wise.

Deviation
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I used to be an avid bicyclist (400-700 miles/month), until I got hit by a bus a couple years ago.
I had to do a double take there. :eek:

Does anyone have a workout designed around the lower body muscle groups that aren't highly utilized in cycling?
Not a cyclist myself, but that pretty much leaves back and calves right? If I were you, I'd stop training to failure every time. That will probably help you out enormously. How often are you cycling?

I do run, so I understand the fatigue you're talking about. I've found that my leg exercises actually help quite a bit once your body adapts. At first it was rough, but eventually it's not as bad.

OptikaNET
02-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I find cycling and leg exercises synergistic - to the extent that if I miss a leg workout but have been keeping up with the cycling then I don't feel too guilty.

However, when I work legs regularly I find the ride home gets easier and easier, so they definitely work to support each other.

Kind of obvious, really, but nice to have real-world confirmation...

Kind Regards
Dave