PDA

View Full Version : Listen to your Body

cpu_punk
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
I have been at this for a long time mostly on and off. I will go strong for 3 months the renew my gym membership for a longer period of time and than stop going. This has been my longest running stay faithful to the gym and make it work stint. I have run into a few bumps in the road the last 2 weeks. One I have been to tired to get up, I currently change up my routine and I am hitting major muscle groups with different exercises. I am sore like I was when I first started and my energy level is low or seems low. I am just wondering if I should listen to what my body is telling me and rest when it says rest or just push. I have pushed before and I think it did more harm then good, but I dont want to loose my motivation. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this before and if I should just ride it out.

OptikaNET
02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah, this is important. I've not been using the gym regularly for over six months, and so, starting regular workouts this week, I have reduced all the weights significantly, trained slowly and with care about form and technique.

Even so, doing Straight Arm Pulldowns, which engages the core very hard in a stabilising role, I seem to have done something that is making it painful to breathe. I don't think I've actually pulled anything (or at least I hope not - time will tell - but there wasn't a sharp pain at the time of the exercise) and I suspect that it is severe DOMS of the Transversus muscle, but it is causing a lot of discomfort and having to take painkillers in order to sleep.

So, I was planning to do an abs/core workout today, but better that I rest and give my body some recovery time. Fortunately, abs notwithstanding, I only have forearms and legs still to train this week, and neither should put undue pressure on my core if I'm careful (Squats are not in my current leg routine fortunately, but I may need to be careful with the lunges).

Listening to what the body is telling you is always very important. Sometimes it is necessary to override it for growth (nobody ever got big by playing it safe!), but never ignore it - that's how injuries happen.

Kind Regards
Dave

cpu_punk
02-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I am going to push through tomorrow and get back into the gym it is just biceps and triceps so I should be able to get through it with no issue. I was fine two weeks ago.

decu68
02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I've worked continually for over 14 years with minimal breaks for holidays or surgeries only. There is a point to STOP and listen to your body but that is when you feel PAIN. Pain is not good and is a good indication to stop. I have also come to points in my lifting where I have limited energy; feel drained; you have to push beyond that.

If you are tired you are not getting enough fuel for energy. It also can be a sign of over-training. Are you giving those muscles at least 48 hours of rest? If so than I would push on unless it is pain. Make sure you are feeding yourself, getting adequate rest (sleep) and adequate rest between workouts. Make sure you are upping your water intake. Is it just DOMS? If so definitely push beyond and keep lifting.

We all have to understand that only a small portion weight lift. Our bodies won't like it at first but we have to push beyond and make it a reoccurring and natural part of our daily routines. A large majority of people who start will quit at this point because of this; and why those of us that weight lift for long periods are a small number.

cpu_punk
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
This is all very true I have quit several times before. This time is different I want to make the effort and get what I want out of my body and be healthy as well. I have been working out twice a day for awhile and just switched my routine. I think my body has to adjust to how I am working it the routine I am doing now has more sets and higher reps and I am completely exhausting my muscles. Each major muscle group is getting worked once a week and two rest days. I am also taking my time and keeping form as I lift.