PDA

View Full Version : Really New!

jay850
04-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok so im not going to pretend i know anything, honestly through my life all my workouts came in the ways of activities and playing sports and such. So please when you respond bear in mind a lot of the acronyms may be over my head.

I decided that I am going to start going to the gym and working out, i'm getting older i got too much belly fat, and i need help so i dont just feel like im spinning in circles without results so i got jefit to assist me.

Vital stats to get you aware of my needs/goals etc
6'5"
375 lbs
33 years old
knee and back problems limitations being squatting/kneeling, running (power walk seems ok but i'd like to limit that too)

I already feel overwhelmed with all this, I was over 600 lbs a couple years ago and through diet i was able to trim a lot of it, but now its time to move and get more out.

My exercise area i know has weight machines, ellipiticals (which from what i understand do great with knee injuries) swimming pool and sauna.

I want to make a workout that for at least a few weeks so that my body can get used to the extra stress of workouts can be limited in days but eventually 3 days a week tops just because of lack of ability to spend the time at the gym.

I'm not lookin to be cut in 30 days, i feel that i have a healthy weight in mind 250lbs which is less than my football weight was back in high school but not in the morbidly obese range which i currently am in... if i reach that goal then i can focus on new ones.

I'm not sure what else i can put in here to beg for the assistance of the community of people who know waay more about this stuff than i do.

I just want to stop feeling daunted and start moving forward.

Thanks from the big guy
J

1dewayne
04-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Welcome Jay,
It's a process as you realize it won't happen overnight , but as long as you stay mostly concistant you will continue to make progress . There is no need to let yourself get overwhelmed .( Most times easier said than done .) it's a learning process remember everyone that is excelling at anything had to start at the beginning .
Best of Luck ,Dewayne

ARicho
04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
The hardest part is making that first step, and the second hardest part is continuing with it. I am not a trained/qualified/licensed trainer or health professional, so I do urge you to see a professional before attempting any new exercise routine.

You know the whole 'Beginners Luck' thing that occurs in so many situations? Well, the same applies with fitness, but in just a slightly different way. When you begin for the first time, you have all the luck! Your weight drops quicker, your lifting stats jump quickly and just about anything you do will see results. However, in saying that, don't rely on this and use a basic but soild training routine.

Mentioned you played football? What training did your coach make you do?

To start off, I'd suggest the classic 3 days a week weights, 2 days a week cardio. The weights program should be basic, and focus on compound exercises. There's generally two types of exercises, compound and isolation...

Compound uses different muscles group to perform, and usually are bread and butter in programs. Some include Benchpress, Squat, Deadlift and Row.

Isolation focuses on one particular muscle group, such as bicep curl, overhead shoulder press, tricep extension.

You should be aiming to do mainly compound exercises, and save the isolation later down the track. Keep the sets and reps simple, 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Do full-body workouts as well opposed to a split such as Chest/Back, Legs/Shoulders, Arms/Abs, do these when you have a taliored goal.

For cardio, do whatever feels comfortable, but also re-think how you live. What I mean by that is (remembering I know nothing about you or where you live/how you live) maybe walk to the shop instead of driving, or even just go for a walk of a evening. I highly recommend seeing a professional about what you can and not do exercise wise, considering you have a couple injuries.

I've given you fairly broad information, because for 2 years I had a teacher say 'Give a man a fish, he'd eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he'd eat for life' So go out and make the journey of learning, and let's not forget, you know your body better than anyone else. You know your limitations, what hurts, what doesnt, and the biggest thing is we are all different, what might work for someone might not work for another. A lot will be trial and error, but learn from the mistakes, and it's a lifelong quest.

Good luck