PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Supplement

rankin
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Not surre i missed this in earlier part of the thread but what do people recommend as a good post workout supplement. This may sound silly.....but i would like something preferably not another protein shake as i use this before workout but something that will help muscle build after workout. I''m trying to get cut and stay lean!!! :-)

Robertrogo
05-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Hello rankin,

Well for many of us the obvious choice would indeed be a protein shake, a lean protein shake that will help you and allow you to keep cut and lean after an intense workout. Other sort of post-workout supplements can be creatine that will help you gain the muscle that you are looking for but the only thing that is the downfall of creatine is that you retain a significant amount of water and get a bloated feeling, but when you lift you do gain a significant amount of muscle in the process. Others can be diet pills like Hydroxycut which of course is a weight loss supplement and help you burn those extra calories in the process after you lift. You could also take multi vitamins like Animal Pak or a GNC brand that contains a significant amount of BCAAs which will help you keep lean.

Other ways besides a supplement would to eat lean proteins such as chicken, lean steak, low fat ground beef or pork, vegetables, high fiber foods, good carbs such as whole wheat pastas, quinoa, brown rice and so forth and snack on fruits and greek yogurt. You want to keep your protein intake high along with high fiber to keep your metabolism/digestive system on mark along with good carbs so you dont gain any unwanted weight along with low fats.

Really the one recommendation would truly be a protein shake because protein is what helps keep the body lean through building extra muscle and also helping burn fat/calories in the process.

Deviation
05-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Well its not a supplement, but I eat eggs as part of my post workout. 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg. That plus a protein shake & orange juice. No real reason for the OJ other than I like it. :)

dTor
05-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Again, a protein shake that I add sugar to. Sugar after an intense workout helps the muscle fibers repair themselves faster and stabilizes your blood sugar levels. If you don't take in any sugar post-workout, your body will convert some of the protein you are consuming and turn it into sugar anyway.

You need the protein after you workout even more than you do before you workout.

If you NEED to spend money on a "post-workout" supp, I've never used any, but I hear that VPX's N.O. Synthesize is really good. I'm sure there are plenty more out there, just look around a bit.

BrianS2
05-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Well its not a supplement, but I eat eggs as part of my post workout. 4 egg whites + 1 whole egg. That plus a protein shake & orange juice. No real reason for the OJ other than I like it. :)

i used to use eggs also (never separate the whites tho, so idk what effect that has), but i found that they slow the aborbtion rate of protein and other essentials nutrients your muscles need to recover due to its high cholesterol and fat. right after i complete my workouts thats when i feel my body trying to recover and if i drink something that takes effect quickly i feel more energetic and my body recovers quicker. something to think about tho, id drink the protein shake first and then do the eggs - if u want to have eggs in ur post workout concoction.

Ronin210
07-08-2011, 12:51 AM
The main supplements I use are whey protein isolate and amino acid shakes. I use Cytosport's MONSTER Amino supplement drink and then 20 minutes later I drink Precision Engineered Whey Protein Isolate (which is cheap, taste great, and has 60 grams of protein per two scoops). The amino acids are great because they go directly to your muscles after your workout and help recovery a lot faster. That's just my post workout recovery shakes, everyone is different and uses different supplements to recover.

Jayzi
07-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I am a huge fan of Myogenix's Aftershock... It is a protein blend with BCAA's, glutamine and a low dose of creatine. It has been my go to recovery shake!

Impulse7675
12-13-2011, 02:24 AM
xtends BCAA, dextrose, creatine, multivitamin "taken before my work out". I buy my dextrose at beer brewing stores for cheap. After this post work out drink. I drink protein drink along with come complex carbs.

Clagnuts
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I take Biorhythm's After Glow post workout then a Protein shake maybe 60mins later. I've tried alot of pre-workout supps and this is by far the best I've tried, it tastes amazing I actually look forward to drinking it as for the results well it does exactly what it says on the tin

druski
12-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I take Biorhythm's After Glow

Is that stuff worth the money then? Seems expensive?

Robertrogo
12-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Right now I am currently taking SNI Whey PRotein as my Pre/Post Workout Protein as well as Muscle Pharm Creatine for my pre/post workout creatine and absolutely loving the stack, my SNI cost about 50$ for a 10lb tub and the creatine is actually remotely cheap for 20$ at some places but I did a buy 2 get 1 free from GNC on black friday with 35% off so saved myself a significant amount of money on my purchase.

I feel that this is a great stack at least for my muscle building/toning out routine that I have been doing

nickmass
07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
jeepers guys, have you read the previous posts ? I am more confused than ever now. I was looking for some advice about what to take post work out and I see that everyone has a different opinion and or product they like to use.

I think this is one of the problems with supplements is that its all subjective.

if your mate tells you "use this, its awesome" thats what you use, but what does you body really need?

decu68
07-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Protein is the most important thing to have after a workout; no question.

The body has a built-in survival drug hormone called “cortisol”. Immediately following a high-intensity workout the body pumps this hormone whose function is to carry off protein to the liver where it converts it to glucose, which provides energy for the body. The longer and harder the workout the more cortisol is pumped. Why is this important to replenish protein? The largest supply of protein in your body is your muscles … so this is the first place attacked by the cortisol and why it is important to replenish the protein immediately. When the protein is destroyed in the muscles this is known as a “catabolic state”. Another reason that this is important is that our immune system is based on proteins and if this is attacked by the cortisol this can weaken our defense mechanisms.

How you get the protein is up to you, my suggestion is to EAT something that is high in protein. You can do it conveniently but somewhat costly by using supplements but supplements are over-rated and a cash cow for a billion dollar industry. The majority of the stuff you might as well flush your money down the toilet because they are all hype and bull$hit. Again you are better off eating something healthy and protein based afterwards.

Deviation
08-01-2012, 11:29 AM
jeepers guys, have you read the previous posts ? I am more confused than ever now. I was looking for some advice about what to take post work out and I see that everyone has a different opinion and or product they like to use.

I think this is one of the problems with supplements is that its all subjective.

if your mate tells you "use this, its awesome" thats what you use, but what does you body really need?
There's nothing to be confused about. As decu68 said, you need protein. How you get it is up to you. Whether its food or a powder doesn't matter. What brand powder you use is up to you as well. The biggest thing to consider with protein powders is how much protein is in each serving. I did a quick breakdown on several here (http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?10177-Quick-Protein-Comparison). Apart from that, you should consider what type of protein or proteins are in each.

I also try to get in some carbs post workout. I do that with oatmeal, granola, toast, etc.. I don't like to take carb powders. But that's just me. I'm also on a 6 day/wk routine with a fair amount of conditioning. It helps me keep my energy levels up.

Keep in mind every BODY is different. What works great for you may be the worst thing for the next person. Experimentation is key.

Mgulley82
08-02-2012, 02:35 AM
The only difference to remember between food protien and a powder supplement is the powder will be obsorbed by the digestive system faster.

Simple carbs and protien are what your body needs post workout! All this other hype doesn't do much until your attempting to breach the natural limit of your own body.

When I am attempting to lose weight and workout on an empty stomach I supplement with BCAAs intra/post workout to help protect my muscle from being used as energy.