PDA

View Full Version : shoulders

harvo
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
How can I get my shoulders stronger I can hardly lift much weight above my head

Robertrogo
05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Hello Harvo,

Well the one thing that I would do is strength train you shoulders, don't go straight for the heavy weights but take lighter weights and do less reps when you get involved with the shoulders aspect of your workout. By doing the lighter weights and more repetitions, you are allowing your shoulders to get used to the tension and force that you are putting it through with the workout and allowing it to build muscle in relation to the amount of weight you are using. This will allow you to build up more strength and have your muscles grow in the process.

If you check out the routine that I have currently uploaded http://www.jefit.com/routines/routine/?id=2204 which i use a significant amount of dumbbells for my shoulder exercises, worth giving a shot and try out but with less weight and more repetitions to allow your body to get used to the amount of weight and force you are putting on it

Shoulders
Dumbbell Arnold Press 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Front Raise 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Back
Cable Seated Row 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Arnold Press 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Front Raise 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug 60 Sec. Undefined 3

Shoulders
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 60 Sec. Undefined 3

mrwright
05-18-2011, 08:33 PM
The same way you do it for any other muscle, work then, work them, work them!

do some shrugs or shoulder presses

or do some other workouts where your shoulders get worked aswell, that way you can do more weight because your using other muscles, but your shoulders are getting a decent pump aswell

tjwood
05-19-2011, 11:49 AM
When I first started training (6 months ago) I found shoulders were one area where I was particularly weak. The solution is just to get the right weight and train them the same as any other body part. Just don't be embarrassed if you have to start off using a particularly light weight for shoulder presses etc - they will get stronger quite quickly!

A related tip for beginners is don't compare weights between different exercises - different muscles are different sizes and the physics of different exercises are very different (remember how levers and gravity work - the same weight held at arms length and moved vertically requires much more force than the same weight held closer to your body or moved horizontally or diagonally). So don't assume that just because you're using one weight for one exercise you should also be using the same weight for another exercise - choose the right weight for each exercise based on the number of reps you are able to perform.

jshilko
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
To add to what the others are saying - your delts are involved in alot of the movements that your chest and back are responsible for. I used to train the 'top half' of my upper body all together and I would basically progress from decline chest movements to flat chest movements to incline chest/delt movements, then overhead delt movements, then pulling rear delt/trap movements. Don't look at the shoulders as an island, since they rarely are. Try adding some very high-incline presses to your chest workout to serve as indirect delt work. I also like face pulls for rear delts/traps. Just remember that overhead isn't the only thing delts can do - they surround the most flexible joint in the body!