PDA

View Full Version : Best gains for beginner?

mrwright
05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey all.
Just wondering from some of you more experienced lifters,
for a pretty much complete beginner, which is the best routine?

Working the whole body every workout 3 times a week - A chest, bicep, tricep, back, shoulder an leg workout each time

Or

working separately back/biceps/forearms - chest/triceps - legs/shoulders

Deviation
05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Not an expert here, but I'd worry less about isolation in the beginning. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this as well.

Robertrogo
05-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Hey all.
Just wondering from some of you more experienced lifters,
for a pretty much complete beginner, which is the best routine?

Working the whole body every workout 3 times a week - A chest, bicep, tricep, back, shoulder an leg workout each time

Or

working separately back/biceps/forearms - chest/triceps - legs/shoulders

In my opinion, and like Deviation im no expert, but what I do is the separate exercises and isolate each body part such as back/biceps and forearms, chest/triceps and legs/shoulders/abs/cardio.

The reason why is that when you do chest exercises such as bench press in the process you are using your triceps to lift the barbell up and down each time. Along with many other triceps exercises you are using your chest so its best to isolate your muscles to get the best results.

When you do a full body workout, yes it will be beneficial and positive but I always feel that working out all of the muscle groups that belong together gets the best results and you feel more than you would in a whole body workout.

I try to do back/biceps and forearms twice a week, same with chest and legs/shoulders/abs and cardio, so I workout about 6 days a week at 2 hours each session. It helps me see phenomenal results and feel the workout that I have just went through

paul666
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Depends a bit on your age. If you're still the right side of 30, your recovery will be better. I would suggest:-

Whole body 3 times a week with rest day between each session.
Stick with basic, compound exercises. Bench press/Pulldowns/Squats etc.. Rather than fancy isolations.
Vary the bodypart exercise each session. So you need to have three different routines.
Eat a lot. Remember even the pros don't gain while cut. So bulk up a bit while you gain. And I would concentrate on food, meat/fish/eggs, don't just rely on powders.
As a rule do it Chest/Back/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps, bit of rest, then Legs.

mrwright
05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Depends a bit on your age. If you're still the right side of 30, your recovery will be better. I would suggest:-

Whole body 3 times a week with rest day between each session.
Stick with basic, compound exercises. Bench press/Pulldowns/Squats etc.. Rather than fancy isolations.
Vary the bodypart exercise each session. So you need to have three different routines.
Eat a lot. Remember even the pros don't gain while cut. So bulk up a bit while you gain. And I would concentrate on food, meat/fish/eggs, don't just rely on powders.
As a rule do it Chest/Back/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps, bit of rest, then Legs.

I'm only 21 so the recovery should be alright,
Do you have any suggestions as to exercises, preferably ones using basic machines or dumbells as i use a small gym with no major machines, barbells etc

And thanks for the help everyone! Again, Jefit comes in useful!

markwatson
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM
i'd go for something like this mate.

Bench Press (if you don't have a spotter use dumbbells if you do use barbell)
Dead Lift ( if absolute beginner, don't do these use a cable machine and row on that. you should do strengthening exercises for the lower back first and be VERY careful with technique)
Bent-over Row (chin-ups/ pulldown if you'd prefer)
Barbell squat (leg press if beginner again form very important)
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl
Skull crushers
Lunges

use 3x10 as a rule.

Hope that helps mate.