PDA

View Full Version : Best gains for beginner?

mrwright
05-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey all.
Just wondering from some of you more experienced lifters,
for a pretty much complete beginner, which is the best routine?

Working the whole body every workout 3 times a week - A chest, bicep, tricep, back, shoulder an leg workout each time

Or

working separately back/biceps/forearms - chest/triceps - legs/shoulders

Deviation
05-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Not an expert here, but I'd worry less about isolation in the beginning. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this as well.

paul666
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Depends a bit on your age. If you're still the right side of 30, your recovery will be better. I would suggest:-

Whole body 3 times a week with rest day between each session.
Stick with basic, compound exercises. Bench press/Pulldowns/Squats etc.. Rather than fancy isolations.
Vary the bodypart exercise each session. So you need to have three different routines.
Eat a lot. Remember even the pros don't gain while cut. So bulk up a bit while you gain. And I would concentrate on food, meat/fish/eggs, don't just rely on powders.
As a rule do it Chest/Back/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps, bit of rest, then Legs.

mrwright
05-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Depends a bit on your age. If you're still the right side of 30, your recovery will be better. I would suggest:-

Whole body 3 times a week with rest day between each session.
Stick with basic, compound exercises. Bench press/Pulldowns/Squats etc.. Rather than fancy isolations.
Vary the bodypart exercise each session. So you need to have three different routines.
Eat a lot. Remember even the pros don't gain while cut. So bulk up a bit while you gain. And I would concentrate on food, meat/fish/eggs, don't just rely on powders.
As a rule do it Chest/Back/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps, bit of rest, then Legs.

I'm only 21 so the recovery should be alright,
Do you have any suggestions as to exercises, preferably ones using basic machines or dumbells as i use a small gym with no major machines, barbells etc

And thanks for the help everyone! Again, Jefit comes in useful!

markwatson
05-28-2011, 12:05 AM
i'd go for something like this mate.

Bench Press (if you don't have a spotter use dumbbells if you do use barbell)
Dead Lift ( if absolute beginner, don't do these use a cable machine and row on that. you should do strengthening exercises for the lower back first and be VERY careful with technique)
Bent-over Row (chin-ups/ pulldown if you'd prefer)
Barbell squat (leg press if beginner again form very important)
Shoulder Press
Barbell Curl
Skull crushers
Lunges

use 3x10 as a rule.

Hope that helps mate.