PDA

View Full Version : Squats and deadlifts in the same day

Deviation
05-29-2011, 02:21 AM
So I'm thumbing through Men's Fitness and came up the amateur hour section. One thing that caught my eye was a bit on timing squats and deadlifts. They say if you do them on separate days, you need 72 hours between them. If you do them on the same day you need a whole week.

Why is that? I do squats and deadlifts the same day three times a week (Mon, Wed, & Fri). Monday is my heavy day; Wednesday I lift 10% less; Friday I lift 20% less.

jshilko
05-29-2011, 02:39 AM
My opinion of fitness and bodybuilding magazines in general is that they have pages to fill and they will fill them with just about anything :-) recommendations like that one fail to take into account an individual's unique physiology and ability to recover. But then again, so does almost all exercise prescription . . .

Deviation
05-29-2011, 04:12 AM
It didn't sound completely solid to me. I've seen a few routines that have these lifts and they are never 72 hours apart.

andydev
05-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I've always done them on the same day ;)

sjlouisbiz
06-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Why split the days you do Squats and Deadlift , that would be putting more stress on your back and not allowing enough time to recover, just knock em out that week and so you can move on to the next routine.
I always do these on the same day and early in my routine so I have the most energy and pump.

Deviation
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Squats definitely suck the energy out of me. I've been doing them at the start of my routines, but I'm thinking of moving them later. Just thinking they may be taking away from other exercises in my routine.