PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on adding abs to the end of each session?

Deviation
06-29-2011, 02:37 PM
So in June's Muscle & Fitness they listed Terry Crews' routine. It says that he does abs at the end of every session. Would there be any drawbacks to doing this?

You can see his routine (Crews Control) here -> http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2940 And if you want, you can see the video of his photo shoot over here -> http://www.muscleandfitness.com/videos/features/terry-crews

Just trying to tweak my current/new routine -> http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=3119

mrwright
06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I tend to do my abs in the middle of my work outs, mainly to have abit of extra rest like i do 1 or 2 say chest exercises, some abs, then another chest

I don't see any drawbacks, your abs don't really get overly worked during any other exercise so you won't be too knackered

Robertrogo
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Terry Crews is a BEAST! He has abs on his abs and is absolutely ridiculous.

Well the one thing that I used to do was abs after my lifting routine and workouts but before my cardio, the reason behind this is when you weight lift, you are pumping blood throughout your body and increasing your heart rate and metabolic rate. So when you go to perform your abs, your body is already in a fat burning/metabolic state allowing you to pump more blood towards your ab muscles and feel the results better than you would when you do them first thing before any other exercise. That is the one thing that I noticed and I felt the results more from doing an intense lift session then jumping into abs rather than going abs to weights.

Every time I see Terry Crews though I think of this

LCl5uyn5K7k

and this

FWstyHN4Iy4

Deviation
06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Haha. Yeah he's a beast no doubt. That's part of the reason I'm thinking I'll add abs at the end.

Robertrogo
06-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Honestly I feel like that is your best bet when your blood is pumping at full and you are close to the end of your workout, finish it off with a nice ab workout to get the most out of the state that you are in. With more calories being burned and fat loss you are most likely to see more results, apparently after around 45 - 50 minutes into your workout, that is when you start burning extra fat, thus doing ab exercises then will only benefit you that much more

utefaninutah
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
I've been doing some abs to start, some in the middle, then I finish off with some abs before my cardio. It's nice to get a little break inbetween lifting, but I'm willing to try them all at the end. What do you guys think, what's worked better for you?

mrwright
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I've been doing some abs to start, some in the middle, then I finish off with some abs before my cardio. It's nice to get a little break inbetween lifting, but I'm willing to try them all at the end. What do you guys think, what's worked better for you?

I tend to do the same, the extra rest between similar exercises means you can keep the weights and reps up which is always good yet you still get a great ab workout

OptikaNET
07-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Just a point, it's best to work abs every other day, rather than every day, to give them recovery time. You can alternate between an abs routine and a core workout. My personal trainer recommended the following:

And here are the 10 minute ab routine and core routine workouts for yourself:

Abs:
Ab crunches - arms on chest and progress that into arms behind head
ab cross overs - ditto

Bike exercise

Bosu ball crunches - arms on chest and progress into arms behind head

perform each exercise up to 15 reps - once you've completed a whole cycle rest for 90 seconds and go all over again

Core:
Plank on elbows
Plank on straight arm
Raise one leg up
Raise the other leg up

Side Plank

each exercise performed for 60 seconds- if u fail before 60 seconds wait a while and get back to the exercise so you complete a whole cycle

I'm just starting with this myself, but thought I'd pass it on.

Kind Regards
Dave

Ronin210
07-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I tend to save my ab/core routine at the end of my other sessions and like Optikanet, I rest one day between because your abs should be treated like any other muscle group.