PDA

View Full Version : Advice for bulging shoulders please?

OptikaNET
07-06-2011, 06:55 PM
okay:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwdCrL53HIuqE4RqWSSMPi71BR_h7HT WEy0nXHuszgP8cChNEmtAlzMlLE

The way the shoulders bulge as if there was a ball around the joint... what specific exercises help achieve that effect?

Also, how do I work specifically the outside back head of the triceps? (The one that runs diagonally across the outside of the arm)

And what exercises can I use to make the top and inner edge of my Pectorals larger? My chest looks like a ski-slope...

Kind Regards
Dave

bucs10
07-07-2011, 04:12 AM
The way the shoulders bulge as if there was a ball around the joint... what specific exercises help achieve that effect?

Also, how do I work specifically the outside back head of the triceps? (The one that runs diagonally across the outside of the arm)

And what exercises can I use to make the top and inner edge of my Pectorals larger? My chest looks like a ski-slope...

Kind Regards
Dave

To work the front portion of you shoulders there are many exercise that can be done. Here are a couple: standing military press, Arnold press, etc

To work the lateral head of the triceps: Rope or v bar push downs.

To work the posterior deltoids: standing cable cross row, bent over barbell or dumbbell rows. or a low row on a pulley machine which will also work your back.

To work you upper pectorals(pec major) any exercise done on an incline can help whether it be with barbells or dumbbells

I hope that helps and didn't confuse you.

OptikaNET
09-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Okay my current shoulder workout is as follows:

Rowing (5 mins warmup)
Machine Shoulder Press
Dumbell Lateral Raise
Barbell Front Raise
Dumbbell Bent over Delt Raise
Dumbell Shoulder Shrug

All at four sets times 12 (or so) reps.

Now, this is working well and I'm starting to get definition on the front of my shoulders that I didn't have before, even after only 3 months training.

What I want to do now is create a variation routine, substituting different exercises, to do as an alternating routine every other week.

I've done a bit of research. I'm considering an exercise called the "Hang Clean and Press" which is quoted as "The ultimate shoulder exercise" on some websites. Other than that I plan to replace "Machine Press" with "Dumbell Arnold Press" and possibly "Bradford Rocky Press" (which I haven't done before), replace the "Dumbbell Bent over Delt Raise" with "Reverse Flyes" (or possibly "Dumbell Rear Delt Row") and replace "Shrugs" with "Barbell Upright Rows".

The problem is finding alternatives for the "Dumbell Lateral Raise" & "Barbell Front Raise", these are working well for me at the moment, but I don't just want to replace dumbells with barbells and/or cables, I want to find a different exercise that works the front of the deltoid but in a different way, and I cant find any.

There's "Cuban Press" (which I've never done before) as a possibility, and "Cable Internal Rotation" (Which I'm not sure how to do). Any other ideas?

The plan is to keep it to five exercises with 45 minutes the target time.

Thanx in advance for your help. It seems shoulders is not a "stubborn" muscle for me (as pecs are), I've just been working it wrong...

Kind Regards
Dave

OptikaNET
09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I will continue doing the current routine every other week.

Deviation
09-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Here's my shoulder specific exercises:

Dumbbell Rear Delt Fly 3x10
Dumbbell Arnold Press 3x10
Dumbbell Lateral Raise & Front Raise SUPERSET 3x10

Just be careful on the presses. It's easy to hyperextend and strain the shoulder with heavy weights. I prefer dumbbells to barbells for the above exercises. Better range of motion

As far as replacing shrugs with upright rows, I wouldn't. Perhaps you need more weight and less reps?

OptikaNET
09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
No, just looking for a change to keep the muscles "guessing". I used to pyramid sets (12, 10, 8, 6), but it was suggested by my personal trainer that doing four sets of 12 will challenge the muscle better, doing more damage to the fibres (without instigating catabolism as, say, 20 reps would).

I followed his advice and was rewarded with development, so I'm going to follow this scheme for a while.

Still looking for alternative "Lat" exercises. Any advice?

Kind Regards
Dave

PS. Surely shrugs and upright rows are both trapezius exercises, why do you recommend against substituting them?

Deviation
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
No, just looking for a change to keep the muscles "guessing". I used to pyramid sets (12, 10, 8, 6), but it was suggested by my personal trainer that doing four sets of 12 will challenge the muscle better, doing more damage to the fibres (without instigating catabolism as, say, 20 reps would).
I'm not against you going with 4x12 versus what you were doing. I will however say that the high rep muscle catabolism isn't the case. That said, its not something I would do for an extended period of time.

Still looking for alternative "Lat" exercises. Any advice?
Barbell bent-arm pullovers http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BBBentArmPullover.html

PS. Surely shrugs and upright rows are both trapezius exercises, why do you recommend against substituting them?
No not really. Shrugs specifically target the traps (upper). Upright rows actually target the lateral delts. The traps are incorporated as synergists in the motion (assist). That would be the main reason I suggested you not substitute it. Another is the actual motion of the exercise can potentially cause harm. For myself, it was not a comfortable exercise at all. As they say, your mileage may vary.

decu68
09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwdCrL53HIuqE4RqWSSMPi71BR_h7HT WEy0nXHuszgP8cChNEmtAlzMlLE

To look like this you need GREAT genetics and Vitamin S. In all seriousness, the majority of us will NEVER look like this but this should never hinder us from trying. Work hard, work smartly and appreciate our gains even the smallest ones.

OptikaNET
09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh, I know, I just picked the image from a google search to illustrate what I meant about bulging shoulders, mine slope rather than bulging.