PDA

View Full Version : little help and advice?

boardrunner
07-22-2011, 06:05 AM
hello im 21 years old. i found this app on my phone and decided to check out the website and so far i like it.i dont have anyone to workout with, but i do have access to a gym.i been wanting for years to gain weight but i have never put the effort to it.and i think that falls under not knowing how. most ppl say just eat and u can but not in my case.
i love to run and im active. i weight 140 pounds and i have been at this same weight for the last 5 years of my life.want to reach 170lbs...my diet has sumthing to do with im sure.any advice on a beginner 5-6 week workouts,supplements,and any good diets for me that anyone can share. i have open ears. i am able to spend 1-2hours a day in the gym or on the track. i love to run aswell.any questions just ask :P

Deviation
07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Welcome to the site.

You will want to start off by getting your BMR. Go to http://www.bmrcalculator.org/ and plug in the required info. Scroll down a bit and you should see the results. Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories needed to just "exist". So of course you need a bit more to tack on weight. For me, my BMR is 1841. My target is 2800-3000 with the exercise I do.

For a routine, check out http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2909. This is a very strong routine. I didn't create it (well except for adding to JEFIT). The link to the original post is in the description. Do NOT try to create your own routine if you're new to weight lifting. The urge is strong I know. Pick a good starter and run with it for 5-6 weeks.

For you diet, I use MyFitnessPal to track my food intake. Great for that, but I don't use it to track exercise calories. It's almost impossible to do that with strength training.

Good luck! Feel free to ask more questions. We don't bite. ;)

boardrunner
07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
says my bmr is 1631 so increasing it to 2529 is a moderate increase with the workout u posted. and this is gonna sound sad but what weight do i start at? the treadmill running is ez cause i usally run 1.5miles a day.and i know nuthing of nutrition. thank you for the reply.

Deviation
07-22-2011, 06:14 PM
I tackle the easy part first; it doesn't have to be on a treadmill. I hate treadmills myself. But sometimes you have to. ;)

For weight, you can start with the bar until you feel comfortable. That's especially important with squats and deadlifts. Though SL deadlights are a little easier to get the hang of. You will need to push yourself to see what you can lift. Only you can figure that out. I started with the bar. ;)

For shoulders, go light to start. It's easy to have bad form and tear up your shoulder. Be cautious.

For nutrition, think whole foods. Chicken breasts, lean cut steaks, turkey, etc. are all good sources of protein. Use those throughout the day. You will want to eat some colorful veggies with those meals. Broccoli, green beans, peppers, etc.. You will also want a quality protein powder for pre & post workout. I like Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey. http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html Everyone has their favorites.

You can check my log for other ideas. http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log&p=13823&viewfull=1#post13823 There isn't a one size fits all routine/diet. It will take some experimenting.

mrwright
07-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Yea, that's pretty much everything covered, i found it easier when i started to have my routine and just spend a day or 2 trying out each exercise to find a steady weight and as a little tester for form etc and also it'll get your muscles warmed up abit ready for when you start properly

tjwood
07-23-2011, 08:50 AM
You said you have access to a gym... is that a small unstaffed gym or a commercial gym with staff? If the latter then definitely make use of the staff to help get you started with a beginner's workout and show you correct form for various exercises (don't be embarrassed to ask questions!). If there aren't staff then make sure you check correct form using websites like www.exrx.net and take it steady to begin with.

A couple of other bits of advice:

- don't look at what weights and exercises other people in the gym are using. Seriously. You have no idea where it fits into their routine, or how long they've been training, or if they are lifting too much, or too little. Use the right weights and exercises for you. As a beginner you will need to start with easier exercises, don't be embarrassed, you'll develop over time. Also don't necessarily copy other people's form, it's not always great...

- be patient. All the marketing stuff about "gain X lbs in only Y weeks" (even in magazines that might appear to be reputable) is mostly bull. It is hard work but very rewarding. Give it time. (That said, you should be able to tell that you are making progress from one week to the next, if you aren't then something is wrong...). Slow and steady wins this race.

- think about the basic physics of the body. Your limbs are all basically levers and if you think about which muscles you are trying to exercise you can think about the movement needed to work that muscle. Which means that, for instance, a bicep curl will result in the forearm moving through a vertical plane, but moving the upper arm or back isn't really working your biceps! Also, when you understand this, you will realize that the weight you need to use for each exercise is different. Remember levers again - in an exercise where you hold the weight further away from the body, you'll need much more force to move it than one where you hold the weight close to the body. (So for instance you need a lighter weight for a dumbbell fly than you do for a chest press, or a lighter weight for a front raise than an upright row... and so on). Also some muscles are obviously bigger and more powerful than others and hence can lift more weight...

Oh and personally I'd say don't touch supplements, at least not while you're just starting out. They're really not necessary if you've got a good diet and as a beginner you'll make progress without them. Also if you start using them now they'll only confuse you in getting the diet right to start with.

Deviation
07-24-2011, 02:01 AM
tjwood has some valid points. The only one I will disagree on is the supplements. Chances are you won't get your diet ironed out correctly off the bat. I would at least look at adding a quality protein powder. But don't use that as a crutch. You still need to get protein from other sources.

I'd skip creatine and others until you get further along. If you're having trouble with stamina, maybe look at a pre-workout supplement.