srhk
07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Hey guys,
i just joined the gym and have been doing execises on machines
and am feeling little pain above my armpits both side

Is this normal?

tjwood
07-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Is it a dull ache? Does it feel like the pain is within the muscles? Did it develop a while after a strenuous workout?

If it's a fairly constant dull muscular ache that developed a day or two after exercise it's quite probably delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness). Kinda normal. It can be quite bad if you're not used to working out but as you get more used to working out it will affect you less.

(Of course if it's not that sort of pain, you might want to seek medical advice...).

jthompson
07-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm a little confused about what you mean by "above the armpits." Is in on your arms? your chest? Yeah, if it's in the muscle it could just be DOMS, especially if you just started. Let the muscles rest, don't overwork them and see a doctor if it doesn't go away or gets any worse.

davematic
07-30-2011, 08:07 PM
it could be soreness from workout especially if you just starting.but it could joint pain if you used to much weight . i use rubber bands or light weights and mimic excercise movements prior to the actual excercise. this helps warm the area up. post workout stretching will help tone down the soreness too.
im not a trainer, im just telling you what works for me.

Deviation
07-31-2011, 03:16 AM
Welcome to the site. I'd venture to say its DOMS like the other have said. Tough to tell without more detail.

nyyfan102989
03-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Hey guys,
i just joined the gym and have been doing execises on machines
and am feeling little pain above my armpits both side

Is this normal?

I typically get a soreness around that area after working chest. Typically as a result of flies. But where exactly are you talking about?

OptikaNET
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, Flyes will definitely create DOMS around the armpits. That's perfectly normal - take it as an indicator that you have done good work!! As you exercise regularly you'll find the DOMS decreases in intensity (but never goes away entirely) and becomes something of an old friend, a way of saying "Yup, I did good work yesterday."

Generally, when working out regularly, I find that DOMS lasts two days, peaking on the second day. When just starting out, or after a period of inactivity in the gym, it can last up to four days. So it's a good incentive to keep the workouts regular!

If you get sharp pains - and especially if they happen while you are working out, rather than afterwards, then that is sign of injury and you should stop what you are doing, give the area a rest, and - when restarting - make sure your form/technique is correct (since bad form is the major cause of muscle injury).

If DOMS gets too uncomfortable then Ibuprofen should help, but don't use it if you can avoid it as it interferes with the muscle growth process. I find that bad DOMS in the Biceps and the forearms can stop me sleeping. Everything else I can cope with!!!

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards
Dave