PDA

View Full Version : Working out after a Broken Wrist

TRayburn
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Greetings

Trying to get back into lifting after breaking my wrist (surgery for reconstruction) and I am finding a lot of the exercises using a flat bar or dumb bells with my wrist twisted quite difficult or painful.

I did find that I can do curls using an EZ bar, but a regular curling bar and a preacher bench are both too painful.

Any tips?

Deviation
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0&feature=player_embedded
^That should be some motivation for you.

EZ curl bar is just fine. Have you tried hammer curls? Not sure what your goals are.

OptikaNET
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Would it be better to use machine weights for heavy lifting and light weights on dumbells/barbells until the wrist becomes stronger?

Kind Regards
Dave

TRayburn
08-01-2011, 10:47 PM
EZ curl bar is just fine. Have you tried hammer curls? Not sure what your goals are.

Hammer Curls and Concentration Curls are what I find most comfortable.

Deviation
08-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Hammer Curls and Concentration Curls are what I find most comfortable.

Then work with those. Those will hit your biceps just fine.

TRayburn
08-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Then work with those. Those will hit your biceps just fine.

Anything else like those .... machine or dumbells?

Deviation
08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Anything else like those .... machine or dumbells?

If you're specifically referring to working the biceps then no. If you're allowed, you can also try light wrist curls to help strengthen the wrist flexors/extensors. http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ForeArmWt.html Use your own judgement/doctor's advice.

What's your overall goal?

TRayburn
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
First. thank you for the help.

I am trying to put muscle back on. I have always been built like a Kenyan Marathon runner, small with lean muscle while playing soccer my entire life. Last September, I started some bulking routines with my brother-in-law with some decent success until I broke my arm.

Now, the higher weight / low reps hurt the crap out of my wrist.

BTW ...... the video above is def. a great motivator. Maybe I am just expecting too much too quick.

Deviation
08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Now, the higher weight / low reps hurt the crap out of my wrist.

Work your way into it. It sucks, but you're going to have to gradually build up to where you were again. If you have forearm pain, try adding those wrist exercises I linked to. Wrist curls may seem like "wimpy" exercises, but you'd be amazed how much they can help.