PDA

View Full Version : When bodybuilding goes bad...

OptikaNET
08-19-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't care how into the sport you are, this is not a good look...

Kind Regards
Dave

jghight
08-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Impossible, that photo is shopped.

Deviation
08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Where did that photo come from?

OptikaNET
08-25-2011, 09:36 AM
A facebook group called "Bodybuilders around the world". Some of the images are nice, others are... well, they look like they came out of "Flex" or "Muscular Development"... lots of vascularisation etc. Not my favourite look, but understood on the pro bodybuilder scene.

But this one just grossed me out!!!

Kind Regards
Dave

78inchesofpain
09-08-2011, 02:19 AM
is that an alien?

OptikaNET
09-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Not quite as bad, but even so...

OptikaNET
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM

...Okay, this one is tampered with, LOL.

OptikaNET
09-15-2011, 05:59 PM

...couldn't resist, sorry..

decu68
09-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Don't know why anybody would want to inject that much chemicals in their body to look that disgusting. That type of muscle is absolutely useless. I believe in looking good and being functional; this is neither.

OptikaNET
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree, that mouse needs to go away and rethink his life!

mrwright
09-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Don't know why anybody would want to inject that much chemicals in their body to look that disgusting. That type of muscle is absolutely useless. I believe in looking good and being functional; this is neither.

Not necessarily useless, the 2nd pic, ronnie coleman is a professional bodybuilder and can practically lift a house, so very useful for him

it all depends on what your planning on doing really, if your a professional body builder then being stupidly huge is useful and a good luck for you.

But i agree with you, 99.9% of people being a quarter of that size will allow them to perform brilliantly in whatever they wish to do

Deviation
09-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I watched a video of Phil Heath yesterday. Part of it he was driving around in a Bentley. I wouldn't call it useless if it's your profession and you make a good living at it.

But like the redcoat said, most people can be a fraction of that size and perform well. BTW bodybuilders typically aren't as strong as you think. I mean they can out bench/squat/deadlift me, but that's not saying much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxlmi6QE6k

That is strength.

mrwright
09-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I watched a video of Phil Heath yesterday. Part of it he was driving around in a Bentley. I wouldn't call it useless if it's your profession and you make a good living at it.

But like the redcoat said, most people can be a fraction of that size and perform well. BTW bodybuilders typically aren't as strong as you think. I mean they can out bench/squat/deadlift me, but that's not saying much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxlmi6QE6k

That is strength.

Something i want to do atleast once a strongman comp, ofcourse i need to be able to lift 150+kg first, but 1 day!

OptikaNET
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I think I may have found a solution to the mouse problem....

OptikaNET
09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
For this, on the other hand, I have nothing but respect:

Kind Regards
Dave

vise08
10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Not necessarily useless, the 2nd pic, ronnie coleman is a professional bodybuilder and can practically lift a house, so very useful for him

it all depends on what your planning on doing really, if your a professional body builder then being stupidly huge is useful and a good luck for you.

But i agree with you, 99.9% of people being a quarter of that size will allow them to perform brilliantly in whatever they wish to do

really? Ronnie coleman... lift a house?

Body Builder?...

think about it. _

mrwright
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Body Builder?...

think about it. _

Well maybe lifting a house was abit of an exaggeration, maybe a shed ;)

But theres plenty of videos etc of him lifting like 800 - 1000 pounds, so he can lift alot was my point!

Deviation
10-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Body Builder?...

think about it. _

Ronnie Coleman was a powerlifter before he went the bodybuilding route. There's plenty of videos of him lifting heavy. I know Layne Norton, a natural pro bodybuilder, uses powerlifting in the off season. He even holds a few records.

Don't discount them on site just because they are bodybuilders.

OptikaNET
10-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Really?

Kind Regards
Dave

Deviation
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
You sure that's not a villian from a movie? LOL

OptikaNET
10-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I think it's an animatronic puppet, personally...

OptikaNET
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM
It's from an online advert for whey protein. Personally I would run a mile....

eurazn12
10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Ronnie Coleman is a genetic freak... "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but ain't nobody wanna lift those heavy ass weights"

dacox2
10-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Colman is yesterdays news, if I wanted to talk yesterday Arnold and Tom Platz, but for today lets go Jay

Deviation
10-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Colman is yesterdays news, if I wanted to talk yesterday Arnold and Tom Platz, but for today lets go Jay
Pretty sure "today" is Phil Heath. ;)

OptikaNET
11-18-2011, 12:04 AM

Good to develop the back, guys, but there is such a thing as proportion...

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Nuts are good sources of minerals and protein:

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Rock hard abs...10921

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Surely these are inflatable!!!10927

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 05:33 PM
They are forced to wear only underwear because they cannot buy clothes that fit!!!

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 05:36 PM
I suspect (I really HOPE!) this is fake!

Deviation
11-24-2011, 11:30 PM
LOL Dave you've got issues. Where do you keep finding these?

OptikaNET
11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Fakebook!!!

amcredle
11-25-2011, 01:58 AM
no its real these guys inject something called Synthol.... and those are some of the results you can get if things go wrong

amcredle
11-25-2011, 01:59 AM
google synthol... and greg valentino

tjwood
11-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Talking of injecting yourself with crap, did you see this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/miami_shocker/

Why would anyone want to do that... let alone pay money for it?

Deviation
11-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Dang Alex. That's some nasty stuff. Never knew what it was called.

Talking of injecting yourself with crap, did you see this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/miami_shocker/

Why would anyone want to do that... let alone pay money for it?
People are stupid. Why wouldn't you look for credentials before you did something like that? I mean I love a nice round booty as much as the next guy, but there is a limit.

OptikaNET
11-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Before:

After:

Personally I'd be happy to look like the former and would hate to look like the latter!!!

OptikaNET
11-25-2011, 05:58 PM
People are stupid. Why wouldn't you look for credentials before you did something like that? I mean I love a nice round booty as much as the next guy, but there is a limit.

Oddly enough, when I got my body piercing recently, I asked if the vendor was "qualified" - turns out that they were licenced but that there was no such thing as a "piercing qualification" (at least in the UK). Turns out the same is true of tattooing, too!

Kind Regards
Dave

mrwright
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Oddly enough, when I got my body piercing recently, I asked if the vendor was "qualified" - turns out that they were licenced but that there was no such thing as a "piercing qualification" (at least in the UK). Turns out the same is true of tattooing, too!

Kind Regards
Dave

Yep true, any one can tattoo you, even if they struggle to draw a line

Deviation
11-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Same in the states. Just the facility has to be certified by the health board.

OptikaNET
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Is this guy actually growing Bark???

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/422729_328070447228467_168107436558103_808612_1792 46640_n.jpg

Kind Regards
Dave

JackMarTIn
02-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh God,
I really couldn't Understand why people like to inject A lots of Chemicals in their Body to get this Disgusting look Because I personally like a Nice look and functional. and Actually this kinda Muscles Always be Useless.

jshilko
02-25-2012, 02:25 AM
My observations for this thread:
- I didn't realize that the notion of bodybuilders lacking muscular strength was so pervasive. Hypertrophy and strength are very much related, albeit not linearly. Will a 225-lb bodybuilder outlift a 225-lb powerlifter? For the powerlifter's sake, I hope not since the powerlifter's training is focused on creating maximal force production. Will a 225-lb bodybuilder outlift a 225-lb "fitness enthusiast"? Unequivocally, yes. If you know someone who claims to be a bodybuilder and is ultra weak, they are likely either pretending (their physique will give that away) or they are well into a diet and their energy levels, muscle glycogen, etc are all very depleted. What I would suggest is that you try dieting down to 5% body fat - if you succeed you will know exactly what 'strength' is.
- There is no such thing as non-functional muscle - that is effectively an oxymoron. The whole notion of function speaks to the goal of the individual. If you want to run marathons, then maximal hypertrophy is not conducive to your goal. If you want to win bodybuilding competitions, then you probably don't need to worry about increasing your V02 max to optimal levels. If all you want to do is be able to meet life's everyday demands, that's fine, but there is no reason to knock the endeavors of people who have higher aspirations. Rather than saying you want to be and appear functional, it would be more valid to say that you would prefer an athletic physique - that's what you really mean.
- Yes its stupid to use synthol, but guys like greg valentino are self-proclaimed freaks. He's got a few screws loose and he's proud of it. I think what he has done to himself is dumb, but what he wants is attention. Attention makes him happy and this gets him attention. I respect his right to be happy. Same goes for the freaky physiques of modern professional bodybuilders (although the new crop of pros seem to be moving back toward a more classic look). All of us need to lose the 'holier than thou' attitudes and understand that if we don't like something, it doesn't mean that someone else is wrong for enjoying it.
- If you don't like skeletor-looking ultramarathon runners, muscle bound bodybuilders, obese powerlifters, etc, that's fine . . . i get it, you want to be average. I don't want to be average.

/end.rant
side note: the 'bark' guy in ONet's last post likely has the physique that most males on this site would probably like to have. He is a little leaner than most aspire to, and the lighting accentuates that, but he has an impressive, athletic physique. And he must be functional since he can put his palms on the floor :-p God I hate fitness buzz words. And I hope everyone here knows that generic static stretching is stupid - you should only be performing static stretches for overactive muscles.
/seriously.end.rant :-)

OptikaNET
02-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Jshilko!

You're right of course! I started this thread as a tongue-in-cheek exercise. We all have different motives for why we have taken up this sport/lifestyle/bandwagon.

For me the answer is largely aesthetic. I hated the way I looked when I was a teenager. I looked reasonably good somewhere in the middle when the hours in the gym started to pay off, and now that I have let things slide I hate the way I look again (although I'm starting to make progress back to my desired physique - injuries notwithstanding!!!).

I aspire to an inspirational physique, something I can look at it the mirror in the morning and feel good about. Something that will inspire me with confidence that will last throughout the whole day.

When I look at these pictures I see people who have achieved that look - and gone past it until they have found what is for me a whole new level of hideousness.

Do I respect and even admire the work and dedication it took to get there? Yes. Do I think they should have done it? Well, as you say, if that is what makes them happy, if that is what inspires them when they look in the mirror in the morning, then who am I to take that away from them? Having said that I think it looks horrible and I would hate to look that way myself. It disturbs me a little that these are the people who are champion bodybuilders - in the sense that it is amazing the levels to which these people have pushed the human body, but they appear to be being judged - and awarded - on a basis of aesthetics which only exists in the bodybuilding-competition world, and absolutely nowhere else.

It's a bit like running an art competition whose winner's can only be admired by the competition judges themselves. To the rest of us lesser mortals we think "Huh?" and go and buy our Athena posters with dolphins on, or our copies of the Mona Lisa and wonder just how much cocaine these people (art critics) had to snort to achieve their particular sense of aesthetics.

The people photographed in this thread have gone to great effort, with enormous dedication, to achieve what they have. In this, at least, we can find admiration (much like the people who climb Everest just for the challenge - it's pointless, and they risk their lives to do it, but we can at least admire their dedication).

Whether what they have achieved was actually worth achieving is a different question and in my - as I said - tongue in cheek way I am just raising that question. This thread is for pictures of people who didn't know how to stop...

...and the rodents are just wrong...!!!!

Kind Regards
Dave

jshilko
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh no Dave, please don't think my rant is directed at you - I understand why you started the thread. There are plenty of problems in the bodybuilding world, particularly at the professional level. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures in the thread, so keep posting! I even like the people that were sharing their opinions - I just wanted to dispel some of the more ignorant ideas that were being shared and repeated.

You have to admit that most people that criticize those with physique goals that they don't understand have no idea what type of effort and dedication it takes to get where they are. That's how you end up with people claiming that a man, who is likely in the top 1% of all humans strength-wise, is weak. I used to look at pictures of guys like markus ruhl and think 'ewww, I'd never want to look that way'. Now, after years of training for hypertrophy, I still don't want to look that way, but seeing pictures of those type of guys only makes me think about the type of work it took to get there.

I share your sentiment regarding the state of professional bodybuilding and your art show analogy is golden! I'll never pretend to understand what makes a modern art piece worthy of an award, but you also won't catching pretending that I'm knowledgeable about what makes it worthy! Thanks for the intelligent conversation - now back to shocking pictures!

How about this - Zack Dery has a physique that would probably appeal to the masses. Does his vascularity level ruin it for any of you? Keep in mind that he isn't in control of it so much.

Deviation
02-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Wow. That's some crazy veins going on there. Not like he has any control over that. Can only imagine him taking a "pump" supplement.

And that last pic you posted Dave is impressive. I can't touch my toes like that and I'm nowhere near as muscular.

OptikaNET
04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396075_303011023067743_3492235_n.jpg

Now I'm scared...

Kind Regards
Dave

OptikaNET
04-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Seriously....?????

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528594_366281103407401_168107436558103_898606_6770 39716_n.jpg

Kind Regards
Dave

Deviation
04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
LMAO! Dave that one is a bit of a stretch.

volcom54o
04-25-2012, 05:14 AM
lol when you have that much muscle our flexibility goes bye bye

GreekByMarriage
06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
This guy looks like Bane, from Batman. Yuck!

Really?

Kind Regards
Dave