PDA

View Full Version : Not new to gym or supplements, but need direction

tolarius
08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
So I have been working out for several months, the only supplement I really take is whey protein only after my workouts (which are using late in the day around 7 or 8 pm). My goals are pretty simple, loose some weight in the midsection (not much left), build more upper body strength as my lower body strength is good.

Here is a quick rundown of my work outs:
30 minutes of cardio (15 jogging/running, 15 biking)
weight training

Now the twist, I am a diabetic (Type 2). I've actually lost a lot of weight (6'5, 180 lbs). So I try to stay away from anything with a lot of caffeine b/c that can spike blood sugars. I also stick to low carb whey protein (isolate).

So just looking for some helpful tips or suggestions to add to help with working out. Thanks!

Deviation
12-13-2011, 02:37 AM
What's your routine look like?

Impulse7675
12-13-2011, 02:38 AM
First it is better to warm up for 5-10 minutes, lift weights, then do 20 - 30 minutes of cardio to burn fat. Your diabetes does make things a bit difficult. So it is important to have your blood sugar in check before working out. I would recommend drinking a protein shake before your workout and consuming complex carbs to keep your blood sugar stable. Also check out pre-work out drink which are not caffeinated. I believe Dymatizen xpand has a non caffeinated pre-work out supplement. Follow your workout with a post-work out shake including quick digesting carbs "white bread", sugar, dextrose. I'm not sure how whey protein, pre-workout supplement would effect your blood sugar, so it would be a good idea to monitor it regularly till you know how your body will react. Also it is exremely important for you to keep insulin on you at all times, and quick digesting carbs. I have also heard type II diabetes going into to diabetic ketos acidosis to lose weight. This is very dangerous and will cause life long problems. Hope I helped.

Deviation
12-13-2011, 02:20 PM
You can also try an intraworkout product like Xtend: http://www.scivation.com/XTEND.asp No caffeine and no sugar. It has electrolytes and BCAAs.

Impulse7675
12-13-2011, 08:23 PM
You can also try an intraworkout product like Xtend: http://www.scivation.com/XTEND.asp No caffeine and no sugar. It has electrolytes and BCAAs.

Xtend is a great way to get BCAA, gluatmine, electrolytes. I started a bulk cycle 2 weeks ago and I can tell a big difference in growth, recovery, energy.

tjwood
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I've still not figured out everyone's obsession with supplements.

I guess it depends what your goals are but I've yet to find any reason to take them. I'd rather be a healthy human than pay a fortune to turn myself into a biochemistry experiment.

Deviation
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I've still not figured out everyone's obsession with supplements.

I guess it depends what your goals are but I've yet to find any reason to take them. I'd rather be a healthy human than pay a fortune to turn myself into a biochemistry experiment.
Depends on the supplement and why you're taking it. Lots of people just buy what's in the magazines because some gigantic guy is selling it without realizing that it takes hours a day to get that look. Basically lots of people buying without researching.

That said, I see nothing wrong with adding BCAAs to a regimen.

decu68
12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
So I have been working out for several months, the only supplement I really take is whey protein only after my workouts (which are using late in the day around 7 or 8 pm). My goals are pretty simple, loose some weight in the midsection (not much left), build more upper body strength as my lower body strength is good.

Here is a quick rundown of my work outs:
30 minutes of cardio (15 jogging/running, 15 biking)
weight training

Now the twist, I am a diabetic (Type 2). I've actually lost a lot of weight (6'5, 180 lbs). So I try to stay away from anything with a lot of caffeine b/c that can spike blood sugars. I also stick to low carb whey protein (isolate).

So just looking for some helpful tips or suggestions to add to help with working out. Thanks!

I for one would not attempt to answer this. Tolarious should speak to his/her physician to clear any supplements as we are not knowledgeable enough to answer this.

I for one would stay away from supplements. Most of them are nonsense, others can be obtained from proper eating. Others "may" have some benefit but you will really never know if they work or not unless you have put sufficient time into the gym. More people will contribute their gains to supplements when really it was their own hard work ESPECIALLY when initially started. If you are going to look at supplements, wait at least 6-8 months before trying any and perhaps only when you hit a plateau. If you are making gains without them then there is NO REASON to take them.

junkedbrian
12-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Aside from supplements you could use another website/app for tracking your nutrition. Dailyburn for example is pretty good, I was able to cut down about 10lbs (I'm 6'0 200lbs, muscular) and get pretty cut just by monitoring my nutrition and making sure I hit specific percentages for protein, carbs and fat (50,30,20 %).