PDA

View Full Version : helpful advice

inrudy
09-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Ok guys, I used to workout, just the basics of bodybuilding in highschool, and I just recovered due to a hernia surgery in march. Recently I had started stronglifts program and although I'm working out the kinks for the diet my form is good.now there is in fact a lot of info out there and I was hoping someone could give me insight because I want to start bodybuilding. What would everyone recommend something involving compound I.e. starting strength or stronglifts or go into an Arnold program basic level such as lateral raises,curls, incline press and Mich more that rippetoe and mehdi have not included. Pipe dream is to bold a physique of the golden era bodybuilders who started out powerlifting compound exercises so I'm in a grey area in terms of what to start with and how exactly to set my goals to achieve that.any starting direction as far as long-term program goals, help with diet and so forth with a fresh beginninerwould be very much appreciated.

Deviation
09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd start with StrongLifts, Starting Strength, Madcow 5x5, or this one: http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2909 (READ the post linked in the description).

They all seem simple so I understand why you're looking to add something to them. But the best thing is to stick to a proven, simple routine. Don't change it. Once you've been at them for a few months, you can look to expand them out. The big three lifts (squat, deadlift, bench) almost always stay in the programs.

inrudy
09-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Thank you just the basis I was hoping for

stevemcknight
09-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Agreed, when starting out (and frankly, even after going for a long while) it's all about the big 5 lifts. Squat, Bench, Row, Deads and Press. Get those together and get strong, then once you feel ready, add some assistance lifts.

OptikaNET
09-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Just a point, with you hernia history, have you taken the advice of your doctor before you start bodybuilding? Best to be safe. Good luck on your workouts!!!

Kind Regards
Dave

inrudy
09-05-2011, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the helpful posts once again idea for the check up might not hurt either lol