PDA

View Full Version : gatorade g-series?

78inchesofpain
09-08-2011, 02:38 AM
okay, just wondering about gatorade's new g-series, has anyone tried it?
I am mostly interested in the pre-workout boost, is it any good? if not, any recommendations that would be safe, a 16 year old to take, with my body still developing, i don't want to mess anything up.

decu68
09-08-2011, 01:37 PM
To be honest, the majority of people training would not benefit from Gatorade/Poweraid or the like (the beverage). High caliber athletes would but for the rest of us, it is nothing more the pop (soda). Water is your best bet and the cheapest. Now as for their new supplements, I can't detest to it but see it just as another means of making money by joining the billion dollar supplement industry.

Deviation
09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Those are all safe. Their pre-workout is just carbs & b-vitamins. I use their gel packs before my runs. I don't use them outside of that though. The post workout drink is nasty. Horrible.

Otherwise I drink the low cal version of Gatorade after workouts (not all the time).

Patch1981
09-13-2011, 06:51 PM
I am a fan of Gatorade, so I thought I would give it a try. I have never tried the G1 yet, so I can't say anything about it, but the G3 [Recover] stuff was really bitter tasting. I agree with a previous reply about drinking water. It's cheaper and probably better in some instances.

bwell77
09-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Hey good question the reality of it is most supplements are out to thin your wallet not help you train. One route to take would be 1st Phorm's Ignition mixed with Phormula-1 (I prefer juicey watermelon) pre-workout by using a half serving then a full serving post workout. This is a very safe combo as it is a good clean protein source and great sugar source to give you the fuel you need for those really tough workouts. Check them out @ [link removed] you find a lot of really great no BS supplements made in the USA right in St Louis Mo.

decu68
09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
1 post and having a link to a supplement page, forgive me but that to me looks like advertising more then helpfulness. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

BrianD769
11-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I looked into the Gatorade G-series for me, and they're definitely not right for my situation. I'm exercising, combining cardio and weight lifting, mostly to get back in shape (losing fat, improving strength). The losing fat part means eating fewer calories than are burned. If I were to use all three parts of the G-series, the numbers work out like this:

Prime--100 calories
Perform--200 calories (80 for low cal version)
Recover--120 calories

And that doesn't even provide the protein I would need; that would adds another 170 calories, for a total of 590 calories. Now let's assume I exercise vigorously for an hour. According to my rough calculations, I burn around 350 to 400 calories. So there would be a net positive amount of calories, which means I'd be better off (calorie intake/output-wise) just sitting on the couch.

I've just been taking protein powder post-workout, and am going to start taking glutamine along with it (which doesn't add any calories that I can see). That is a net negative amount of calories, which is better for my goals.

All that said, you being 16, calorie balancing may not be what you're most interested in. Consider what you get out of any supplements you plan to take, in view of your goals, before taking them. If they're not adding to your goals, probably better to leave them out. If your goal is to pack on pounds, like adding lots and lots of muscle, the G-series may help you. To me, it seems like the G-series is really targeted to athletes who have lots of energy output over a long period of time.