PDA

View Full Version : Building a routine with the equipment that I have

deanot
10-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Hi all. Quick intro, in January of this year I started losing weight by running and changing my eating habits. Fast forward 10 months and I've lost about 50 lbs. I am good on the cardio side, (I ran a half marathon as my graduation) but now I want to build strength and definition. The other part is that I want to do this at home with the equipment I have. The stuff I have is:

* Dumb bells 5-50 lbs
* Bench that will incline
* Plenty of floor space

I am completely new and would prefer a 3 or 4 day routine. Anyone out here that could help me come up with a plan?

Thanks a ton!

Deviation
10-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Congrats on the loss!

Just about any barbell exercise can be done with dumbbells. Example:
Barbell Bench Press = http://www.jefit.com/exercises/exercise-database/?id=2&exercisename=Barbell-Bench-Press
Dumbbell Bench Press = http://www.jefit.com/exercises/exercise-database/?id=26&exercisename=Dumbbell-Bench-Press

In fact, dumbbells can offer a greater range of motion and use of the stabilizer muscles. Don't discount body weight exercises as well. Or even bands (cheap to buy).

Primal2011
10-25-2011, 07:21 PM
muscle and size will develop by focusing on strength (it just all comes along for the ride)... many amazing physiques have been built by bodyweight alone (did you know the old-time lifters never had a benchpress or a squatrack???)... Dumbbells... I personally haven't touched any for probably 3 years... my advice to you is to research bodyweight only work until you build a proper strength base (and skill, yes strength is a skill also)... or just always do bodyweight either way.

www.dragondoor.com wonderful website and forum with endless knowledge and advice from actual RKC certified trainers and also personal trainers as well... check it out.

druski
12-01-2011, 12:09 AM
(did you know the old-time lifters never had a benchpress or a squatrack???)[/QUOTE]

I give them props back then, I remember reading in chapter one of the Arnold Swartzenagger encyclopedia that in greek times they lifted stones to build muscle.. before I had a curl bar at home i would actually go find a big log in our woods and curl that. Just be creative with your excercises.