PDA

View Full Version : Cable Triceps Pushdown

Conradddd
10-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Just posting wondering whether it makes a difference whether you use an ordinary bar? V bar? or rope? when doing triceps pushdown
:

OptikaNET
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Yes, it changes the direction and emphasis of the exercise. For example, rope tackles the side of the Triceps more, straight bar tackles the back more.

Kind Regards
Dave

Conradddd
10-22-2011, 09:01 PM
ok bro, so would you recommend incorporating sets of both into my triceps workouts?

mrwright
10-22-2011, 10:35 PM
the rope is ALOT harder than a straight bar,
I think the rope gives more definition to the muscle, But i wouldn't use both in your workout as there both the same just a slight variation

OptikaNET
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
No, alter the emphasis of the exercise by changing the bar every so often.

Currently Jefit lists the different bars as different exercises, but that's really not how I use them. I would prefer it if, when you select Triceps pushdown (or other cable exercises for that matter) that it let you define which bar you were using and tracked it accordingly. Thus, at each workout, it would tell you what weight you last used for that exercise and what weight you last used for that kind of bar.

Kind Regards
Dave

PS. Having said all that, usually I stick to the rope because I want to develop the Whichever-head-of-the-triceps-it-is-I-can-never-remember that is on the side of the arm.

Kind Regards
Dave

Conradddd
10-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah i've noticed that rope is moderately harder than a bar, i'll probably stick to rope though if it defines the head of the triceps more

cheers for the advice guys

OptikaNET
10-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Actually the Triceps have three heads (hence the name). The long head is at the back and is affected more by a straight bar. The head on the side is the one that is affected more by the rope, but only if you twist the ends of the rope upwards at the end of the motion.

Kind Regards
Dave

Primal2011
10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Good triceps workouts = vertical dips, bench press, military press, close grip bench...etc... isolation work is useless...

Deviation
10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
The rope will get you a little more ROM. You can get a nice twist at the end of the movement.

Good triceps workouts = vertical dips, bench press, military press, close grip bench...etc... isolation work is useless...
That would really depend on your goals. It's not useless if it's only a part of a larger routine.

BTW, military press and regular bench press are not tricep specific exercises. Their target muscles are deltoids and pecs respectively. Other muscles may be involved in a supporting role. The close grip bench press will work the triceps though.

decu68
10-25-2011, 09:06 PM
A lot of lifters over the years start to eliminate isolation work on biceps and triceps as they are incorporated in compound exercises. Even after 14 years of lifting I still do isolation workout on these muscles as without them the definition and strength is just not there; in my opinion.

Triceps are by far my favorite muscle to work on. I enjoy Kick-Backs, Close-Grip Bench Press, Weight Dips and Lying Over-Head Curls with a EZ-Curl Bar. And since the Tricep is a much larger muscle than the Bicep, a larger Tricep will give to a larger looking arm. And who doesn't want larger arms? A since the Tricep is the foundation of the arm, the large the Tricep the larger your Biceps can be.

Primal2011
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Obviously bench and MP don't do direct work to the triceps...seems ya'll like to look pretty but not actually be functionally strong... Powerlifters don't isolate...but surely they sport more meat than 90% of us will ever have...I've done all this experimenting with isolation etc...makes muscles swell but not very strong at all...I've been at this for right around 16 years...ish...and many experts would agree

Deviation
10-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Obviously bench and MP don't do direct work to the triceps...seems ya'll like to look pretty but not actually be functionally strong... Powerlifters don't isolate...but surely they sport more meat than 90% of us will ever have...I've done all this experimenting with isolation etc...makes muscles swell but not very strong at all...I've been at this for right around 16 years...ish...and many experts would agree
Now, now Primal. Let's not make assumptions here. I'm well aware what muscles bench & military presses work.

And just what do the "experts" agree on? There are bodybuilders that also powerlift and do a darn good job at it. Ronnie Coleman was a powerlifter before going into bodybuilding. Layne Norton competes regularly in powerlifting and is a pro natural bodybuilder. There's plenty of videos on Youtube of them (and others) lifting.

Powerlifters = too fat to be bodybuilders
Bodybuilders = too weak to be powerlifters

Pretty sure everyone has seen that tired, broad, sweeping generalization...

Primal2011
10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Boredom... honestly it all doesn't really matter just fun to poke the beehive (growing up in Ohio it was hornets nests). In a country where the minority are people who are actually fit and take time to get that way, anything is better than nothing. Workout routines, numbers, bodyfat %, weight loss etc... these stats really only matter to the individual (not to hurt anyone's feelings). I just found this forum due to the really good app on my cellphone...lol. Shared my routine once or twice... Browsed a few from others... And trolled a little... We are all a small community of obsessive fitness people (very for some like me). My only suggestion is to research proper form for everything and be safe with your progress. God knows I've had one to many setbacks from experiments gone bad. Everyone like how I hijacked this thread? Back to the triceps thing...

P.S. throwing names out of people who are within the top 1% of athletes is a very common way to attempt to make a point valid. These people aren't the average joe like me any the other 99% of society, so what works for them would probably put the rest of us in the hospital.

Deviation
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Boredom... honestly it all doesn't really matter just fun to poke the beehive (growing up in Ohio it was hornets nests).
Yeah tell me about it. I still have flashbacks from an incident as a kid. Whereabouts in Ohio?

In a country where the minority are people who are actually fit and take time to get that way, anything is better than nothing. Workout routines, numbers, bodyfat %, weight loss etc... these stats really only matter to the individual (not to hurt anyone's feelings).
Really that's all they should matter to. But there are a lot of online communities that like to bash based on those very same stats. Personally, if what you're doing works for you and you feel good go for it. There's no "one size fits all routine" that's for sure.

P.S. throwing names out of people who are within the top 1% of athletes is a very common way to attempt to make a point valid. These people aren't the average joe like me any the other 99% of society, so what works for them would probably put the rest of us in the hospital.
Well neither are powerlifters in general. ;)

Primal2011
10-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Wayne county, small one-stoplight town of Shreve...