PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Advices for developping above the belt

dunnno
11-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello y'all.
Since i workout, i always have had a problem. As a child and teenager, i didn't do sport excepting bicycling. Then i began to lift weight. I couldn't gain any muscles above the belt, all i could grab are the thighs and buttocks. Now i sort of have "rugbymen thighs" but no shoulders, that's make me look "disharmonious".

Do you have a nice and complete set for the body above the belt? maybe a diet too? dunno, i'm a bit confused.
I practice at home with a device (?) like this one (http://www.bodysolid.com/Images/Products/G1S/600/G1S_legcurl.jpg) and dumbbells of courses and i'm aware that it won't make me like a superhero ;), I just want to be harmonious.

8)

ReidWilson
11-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Hello there,

Do you do lunges? Lunges are such an amazing exercise, that if you do them right you can see great results. I have this inner thigh problem too, and I understand the "chub rub" of wearing skirts and dresses, its no fund at the end of the day or night. I recently saw a tv ad for a product that is supposed to help chafing that was Monistat brand, try checking that out in the meantime, I am going to as well!

Cheers!!
Reid Wilson

tjwood
11-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I cycle a lot too and until I started working out as well I also had big strong legs and a skinny upper body. Actually this if probably the ideal physique if you're a competitive cyclist (weight in the upper body will generally only hinder your cycling), but if you're not, it just looks weird.

Basically focus most of your initial attention on your upper body exercises (chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs) rather than leg exercises and you'll even out. Start with light weights and build up, you'll develop upper body strength over time.

Deviation
11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
You'd be surprised what a simple program like Starting Strength will do for your overall body. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Just guessing, but you sound relatively new to weightlifting. I wouldn't advise anyone that's new to try to design their own program. Most of the time it won't work (I know first hand ;)).

There's other out there like this. StrongLifts and MadCow 5x5 are good too.

dunnno
11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Just ike tjwood said, i practiced a lot cycling, i've got big strong legs, but no shoulders nor chest. I've been weightlifting for more than a year, I use my own routines made from reading here and there, but as complete as possible and with sense.
I'm open at advices and i'm still looking at the perfect routine to gain strength and thickness on the upper body. I'm limited to the devices i own (see the 1st post), i try as much as possible to avoid gym center. But i believe i can do something useful and suitable with what i've got in the basement ;)