PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Exercise Question

mhulme
11-14-2011, 03:15 PM
I am having a problem finishing a full set with my left arm when doing exercises like alternating hammer curls, but no problem finishing with my right arm. I understand that your dominate side is usually a little stronger, but I am only finishing like 8 of 12 reps by the secon and third sets. How should I handle catching my left side up. (Problem shows up when using barbell as well but not as badly.) Thanks for any help you can provide.

mrwright
11-14-2011, 05:37 PM
You could either drop the weight and build up your weak side
Or what i do is either get a spotter to just help up the weaker hand/help it up abit with my other arm,

Or i use the weaker and abit quicker just to get a touch of momentum to help, or swing slightly

I know you shouldn't do either of them but only do it slightly to help your weak side and are careful about it

tjwood
11-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Work them individually rather than together/alternating. Start with your weaker side and then the stronger side. Do only as many reps with the stronger side as you managed with the weaker side. Your weaker side will then get stronger and the stronger side will stay the same for a bit - so the two will become more even. Then you can switch back to alternating...

decu68
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I have found my right (dominate) arm is NOT as strong as my left arm; I can curl far more weight and reps with my left. For me I do what tywood suggested, I work my right as much as I can and only do the same amount of weight/reps with my left (stronger arm). I haven't found they have caught up to be honest but I like things being symmetrical for lifting. This is quite common; you are not alone.

Though my left is stronger it is not bigger; my right is 1/2" bigger. I have tried working the left more in my earlier years however it never caught up. The same thing with my chest; though opposite. My left chest is larger than my right. Also earlier I tried evening them out but couldn't. It is what it is I have just come to accept it after 14 years.

nx1977
11-16-2011, 11:14 PM
I've found my dominant arm (right) seems to be slightly less than my left in some lifts/exercises.

I have no idea why.

Deviation
11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Yep. My non-dominate arm/leg does seem a bit stronger. Interesting that others are like that too. Thought it was just me.

nx1977
11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Is it me or is the dominant arm bigger yet my left which I find stronger is smaller?

Finding this hard to get my head around.

Deviation
11-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Bigger does not mean stronger. Likewise, stronger does not mean bigger.