PDA

View Full Version : Need general help on sliming down and bulking up using machines.

Bigj987
12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello, so to start im 20 weight about 175lbs and recently have taken interest in slimming down and bulking up, preferably using machines or dumbbells. I'm aiming to work out my entire body but am unsure as to reps, rest times, and what exercises to do. My gym has a really good array of equipment so im not limited to what im using so suggest away please and maybe even if possible help me build a routine that fits me? any advice helps ty.

amcredle
12-04-2011, 04:49 PM
I highly recomend starting off with one of these programs. they focus on compound lifts and are full body workouts. they will get you strong fast which will help you cut body fat and build muscle. These programs have been proven to work. I myself use stroinglifts. but do some research i dont think you will go wrong with any of these

1)Starting Strength
http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

2)Madcow
http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/

3)StrongLifts
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Bigj987
12-04-2011, 06:10 PM
ahhh thank you so much for all the amazing info!

i have read through all of them and im set on test driving the 3 option stronglifts. it has changed my obsession with using machines and im very excited to use free weights and such! I'm actually going to test this out today. again thank you so much.

amcredle
12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
no problem. Their is ton of info on the net if you search. But these 3 that i named are nearly identical. The authors, Riptoe, Pendlay and MEndi just tweeked them a little but according to their experiences.

What i like about strong lifts is you start light to learn form and work your way up. When i started it i started with the empty bar..unless you been lifting a long time. I suggest everyone do that. YOU add 5 pounds to each work out... sound light but adds up fast..when i say 5 pounds..the 2.5 lb plates to each side... so yes i felt stupid at first squating with 2.5lbs on each side..but dont worry..if you foloow the 12 weeks program starting with the bar...

you will

Squat 305lbs
Bench 225
Deadlift 335

or somewhere close to those numbers.... So start slow. learn form and watch your strength increase. the felt melt away and your muscles build...

I really didnt notice a change in my body till around week 8.. so be patient !!!

Bigj987
12-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Yea i have been reading the pdf file ensuring that i get everything right before gym time and there is only 1 question i have. how long should i rest in between reps? i dont see a clear answer. most sites and references say 1 minute. should i follow that?

amcredle
12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
im not sure on your fitness level... so if you start with the bar... 3o seconds is fine... if you feel you need more time then 1 min... the guide says up to 5 min... but us shouldnt need that long till it gets really heavy...so i say start at 30 seconds to 1 min... then adjust as needed...listen to your body.. your goal is to get in all 5 sets in with proper form...

Bigj987
12-05-2011, 09:44 AM
yea today i used 30sec rest times, it felt right. im excited to work out again on tuesday. i happen to be benching next to the guy benching 200 so i looked a bit silly but my spotter was still good about motivating me luckily! my endurance is a bit messed up so i added some cardio (nothing big just a couple miles of walking) do you think this will affect my progress negatively? also how far have you gotten into stronglifts? Sorry for all the questions i'm just enthusiastic since i never really lifted before.

amcredle
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
You should consider starting a training log here: http://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Public-Log
Logs help you stay on track to reach your goals. plus many members will read it and help you along the way. It also helps motivate people when they see you doing good.

Im not new to weight lifting. I was in the Army so been working out for almost 10 years...however it was mostly cardio stuff. I lifted weights but i did split routines with isolation stuff. Didnt do deadlifts or overhead press or anything like that.

I Found Stonglifts almost 2 years ago. I started it a few times but never followed through. Id make it to about 3 or 4 weeks and get lazy. Thats why i started logging..keeps me on track. So Last April i Started it again. I completed the entire 12 weeks.

So to answer your question. here are ,My stats from April

WEEK 1 April 25th 2011
Squat 45lbs ( Squatting outside the smith machine was new to me)
Bench press 45lbs
BarBell Row 45lbs ( never did these before)
Overhead Press 45lbs (never did these)
Deadlifts 95lbs

Also on workout A days i do push ups and dips or tricep work ( usually scull crushers or dimand pushups)
Work out B days I do Pullups and Chin up or Curls at the End as well as light ab work on both days

Week 12 July 20th and 22nd
Squat 280lbs
Bench Press 185lbs
Bent over Row 125lbs
OverHead Press 110lbs
Deadlift 160lbs

During that time i gained a around 5 pounds of muscle and it really showed. Bend over row and Deadlifts I didnt progress that fast in cause i was not comfortable with the lifts. Overhead press is just a killer as you will find out so i stalled a few times. Squats I felt good with. and Bench was coming along good to. My all time max with bench was 225 and that was a struggle.

Anyway i was going to keep going with stronglifts in august but got sidetracked again till i started up 4 weeks ago here. So now im starting week 5 today. I keep a log on the forums !!!

But dont worry about the other i guys..i felt silly also at first. know im pretty confident. Im gonna assume that your new to most of these lifts also. use youtube and learn form. Form is everything. I posted something about bench already. later today ill post some pointers on Squat since its also a major lift.. but youtube mark ripptoe. he has a lot of good videos to help you learn.

oh right now cardio is ok..around week 5 or so when the lifts get heavy. you might not want to do it if your not recovering fast enough. BUt your 20. you should be ok. just eat enough and drink water.

Deviation
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Make sure you stick with the one you choose. A couple weeks or so isn't long enough. Give it a a full 3 months and see how you do.

Yea i have been reading the pdf file ensuring that i get everything right before gym time and there is only 1 question i have. how long should i rest in between reps? i dont see a clear answer. most sites and references say 1 minute. should i follow that?
Rest just depends on the individual and the exercise. Some claim there's a magic number, but I don't subscribe to that. Take 60, 90, or whatever works for you. Just don't hog the equipment. ;)

You aren't going to bulk up and slim down. Right now, concentrate on building up the muscles. Later you can always cut and show them off if you like.

Bigj987
12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
@ amcredle- ty so much again for helping me. ill be reading ur log so keep it up! lol... I'm going to start my own from now on as well to keep me motivated. Those were some pretty impressive improvments, and i had watch some of the form videos on your profile on deadlifting. they had lots of good advice that i hope to use on my next workout! and one thing i need to start doing is bring my own water bottle to the gym. i never hydrate enough and i felt it as i was working out last time it was killing me lol.

@deviation- ur right abou the rest. i plan on taking 60 sec rest breaks when the loads get heavier, but until then ill just use 30 secs instead. i never lifted before so im still new to exactly what my starting goals should be.

amcredle
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Youtube is your friend. whatch vidoe on diffrent lifts and learn. I watch the videos several times. over and over again. Then I try to work on my form in the gym. I think that really helped me. I used to get injured a lot lifting. shoulder pain, lower back pain..etc.. since i corrected my form I havent had a injury since...knock on wood. so keep at it. Ill be loading more videos I find to help us all out...look forward to seeing your log

Alexmichael
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
What I have been focusing on for the past few months is crossfit, powerlifting, and olympic lifting. These combine strength and cardio together, using many muscles at the same time and making for a very efficient functional strength workout. Not to mention you will spend a lot less time in the gym. A typical crossfit workout last 20 minutes (of hell) and when your done you feel like you've been in the gym for an hour and a half. And don't worry, you'll definitely gain weight (musclewise) as long as your eating right. Completely transformed my workout.

Exercises to include:
Calisthenics - push up, pull up, dip, unweighted squat
Powerlifting - benchpress, dead lift, military press, weighted squat
Olympic lifts - snatch, clean and jerk, dead lift
Throw in some crossfit in there and you should be straight.

Check this out.
www.crossfit.com

Good luck.