Remove Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Experienced Member Sean Steele is on a distinguished road Sean Steele's Avatar

Sean's SL 5X5 training log

I started Strong Lifts 5X5 with the new year. I have only been lifting off and on for a year using a split routine that I found on BodyBuilding.com. That being said, I pretty much started from scratch with the 5X5. I used the excel template provided by Strong Lifts. I entered what I have been lifting for the five exercises and it started me at:

Squat-80lbs
    Bench-45lbs
    Press-45lbs
    Row-65lbs
    Deadlift-105lbs

I started today and did the Squat, Bench and Row. Everything was so light, I went straight into the working sets. I finished up with 10 minutes on the stairmaster and 10 on the treadmill. I warmed up with 5 minutes on the rowing machine.

I will be doing Routine B on Thursday and report back then.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle is on a distinguished road amcredle's Avatar
    congrats on getting started. great program. im sure you will like it of you stick with it
    MY Journey From Weak to STRONG
    My JEFIT LOG || Stronglifts 5x5 INFO|| MY BODYSPACE ||NBA2k LEAGUE
    Info On How To
    Bench||Squat

Thanks. Your log is one of the ones that has inspired me to make the switch from my split routine. I hope you will be able to check in on me from time to time.

The bench that I started on was really light. I think I may bump it up 10 instead of 5 next time and see how that feels. I know I can OHP 85 lbs doing a 3x10 so I think the 45 that I will be doing today will be really light. If it is, I will bump that one 10 as well. I don't want to go too fast but I do want to get closer to where I was with these exercises. I was adding 5 lbs a week doing the 3x10 so I should have been able to start a little closer to my current lifts. But, I followed the spread sheet and it started me at 45 for the two presses.

I would like to note that since I was not squatting in my split routine, what I thought was going to be a light start weight still managed to give me some very slight DOMS.
    Last edited by Sean Steele; 01-05-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Today's workout is in the books. I will be upping my press lifts to 55, up 10 instead of the prescribed 5.
    My lifts for today were
    Squat - 85x5x5
    Over Head Press - 45x5x4, 45x20x1
    Deadlift - 105x5x5, clean and press on the last rep.

I started with 5 minutes on the rowing machine again. I like this machine for warm up, it hits the whole body. After my lifts, I did an easy 30 minutes at 3MPH.
    Last edited by Sean Steele; 01-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Alex is kind of the "Reverend of SL" around here. LOL The program works and he's proof. Don't get anxious and skip ahead.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->here<-.
    -=Justin=- @JustinDoles - Fueled by Nerd Rage

* Workout Log | 5/3/1 Workbook + Resources | *Fitness Calculators

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle is on a distinguished road amcredle's Avatar
    If you feel like you can push more weight then go ahead. just remember its a 12 week program. figure that your adding 15lbs every two weeks to your bench. Im not sure what you was lifting before you started 5x5. But many people make the mistake and start adding more weight cause its light. then by week 4 they are stalling and give up cause they platued to fast.

Starting light

1. Builds confidence
    2. motiovates you to beet your last workout
    3. allows you to work on form.

My advice is will its light instead of doing 5x5 maybe do 5x8 or 5 x10, also take the time to do assistance exercise like pullups, planks, burbees, push ups, Dips to build a solid core. Having a solid core will help you more then anything. especially when the weight gets heavy

if you do that. stay lean, build muscle and a lot of strength. as the weight gets heavy then you start cutting down your load. and concentrate on 5x5
    Info On How To
    Bench||Squat

Alex, Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I just read them and didn't follow your advice.

Apparently I forgot to post on Saturday. I did my third day on Saturday. Here is what I lifted.

Squat - 90x5x5
    Bench - Was supposed to be 50 and I was going to bump it up to 55 but accidentally put 65 on it. 65x5x5
    Bent Over Row - 70x5x5

I will make the OHP match tomorrow and then go back to adding 5 each session. I think that will be the extent of me modifying the program.

I also just noticed that I did not mention my starting point. My starting weight was 270.2. I am 5'11" tall.
    The lifts I entered into the system were:
    Squat - 135x10
    Bench - 80x10
    Press - 85x8
    Row - 110x6
    Deadlift - 190x8

None of these were actual max outs. These were the last sets I had done of these exercises. I had only done squats once before.

Experienced Member irkie500 is on a distinguished road
    I did stronglifts for a while as well, however it did not work very well for me. I worked hard and logged everything here on jefit. My issue was that I never felt sore the next day which is the one of the goals of this workout. I actually did get stronger I just has no physical change in the 2 months or so that I did the program. I don't want to discourage you by any means, I guess its just not for everyone. Lift hard friend, ill keep an eye on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by irkie500 View Post
    I did stronglifts for a while as well, however it did not work very well for me. I worked hard and logged everything here on jefit. My issue was that I never felt sore the next day which is the one of the goals of this workout. I actually did get stronger I just has no physical change in the 2 months or so that I did the program. I don't want to discourage you by any means, I guess its just not for everyone. Lift hard friend, ill keep an eye on this thread.
    your statement is kinda contradicting. If you was getting stronger.. then the program was working for you ! its that simple. as far as getting sore. thats a mental thing. you shouldnt be getting sore after every work out. You are not going to muscle failure each work out. its a total body rotine using compound lifts so you challenge yourself. remember your squating 3 times per week. I Can get you sore in less then 2 min of working out. Being sore does not mean you worked out effectivly
    Info On How To
    Bench||Squat