Remove Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question Advice on Supplements wanted

Ok so I've just started training for Tough Mudder in July. Haven't really used any supplements before and to be honest I'm slightly bewildered by what's on offer. I'm looking for advice on what to use.

I'll be training 4 times a week, I'm slightly overweight but looking to change that, although more interested in getting both strength and endurance up. My diet is on the healthier side of normal, certainly not a bodybuilder diet, and my training is all weight training apart from 4 short (half mile for now) runs, although that will increase as time goes on.

Would anyone have any advice for supplements I should be taking?

Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Vitamins and fish oil are really the only ones I'd consider essential. That said, if you're having issues getting enough protein in your diet you can always use a whey or whey isolate product.

If you're not tracking your nutrient intake, you should start. MyFitnessPal is a great app for that.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->here<-.
    -=Justin=- @JustinDoles - Fueled by Nerd Rage

* Workout Log | 5/3/1 Workbook + Resources | *Fitness Calculators

Administrator Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo's Avatar
    Hello Punkmuppet,

Welcome to JEFIT, the JEFIT Forums and the JEFIT Community!

In terms of supplements that you should take in preparation of the Tough Mudder I would agree with Justin and go with Vitamins, Fish Oils (Omega 3-6-9's), Whey Protein and even Glutamine (For Recovery).

Actually I have a friend at my gym that I go to (Planet Fitness) who just competed in the tough mudder last month I believe in Tampa, it was either last month or the month before but he finished it and I asked him what he was taking in terms of supplements (just to get a sense as he was a former Army Ranger who had to leave Iraq due to Shrapnel in his leg) and he was taking Vitamins, Whey Protein, Glutamine (For Recovery), Fish Oils and Jack3d (which he would use to keep himself going while at the gym and build endurance while performing cardio workouts, legs and so forth. One thing that pre-workouts do are help build endurance and give you the extra energy and stamina boost to continue training and working out but going forth and taking Glutamine will help you recover after your workouts and fish oils greatly enhance your cardiovascular system. Vitamins of course are to keep you healthy and give you the necessary nutrients/minerals and of course vitamins your body needs to keep functioning.

Of course since you said that you aren't training as a bodybuilder or so forth, stay away from Creatines, Heavy Pre-Workouts, Weight Gainers, Testosterone Boosters or any of the intense supplements, just stick with the ones mentioned above along with training for endurance and stamina rather than strength and I believe you will do fantastic in the tough mudder!

-Robert

www.linkedin.com/in/robertrogo
    Twitter - @RobertRogo

Thumbs up

Excellent, thanks!

Administrator Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo's Avatar
    No problem, actually speaking about either Vitamins or Fish Oils, I myself need to start going back on these to get my dosage of Omega 3's and necessary nutrients. Slacking in that department as of late as I can no longer bring myself to eat tuna anymore to attain my Omega 3's, Kroger and Food Lion COMPLETELY DESTROYED their tuna with making it absolute mush when you open them so I give up trying to eat tuna, plus now the smell is more intense.

Rather start taking those Fish Oils and make it easier on myself haha.

You gotta let us know how your training goes for the tough mudder and how the entire experience goes when you finally compete!

www.linkedin.com/in/robertrogo
    Twitter - @RobertRogo