Remove Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P90x

Administrator Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo's Avatar

P90x

So throughout college I have had a few friends who have tried the P90x routine/workout plan and have seen phenomenal results, but the tradeoff is that it is an intense, high energy workout that requires dedication (which I am indeed no stranger to).

For some reason I have been deterred from trying it as the cost to get the DVDs for the Workout Plan and of course if I were to try it in my apartment, my neighbor below me would probably get pissed off.

Have any of our JEFIT Members tried out P90x? What kind of results have you seen from the workout itself? Are there others who want to try the p90x workout but deterred just like me?

www.linkedin.com/in/robertrogo
    Twitter - @RobertRogo

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright has a spectacular aura about mrwright has a spectacular aura about mrwright's Avatar
    I like the sound of P90X from what i've heard, but it's an american thing, so i don't know much
    Is it all about weight loss an toning or does it involve bulking aswell?

Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwright View Post
    I like the sound of P90X from what i've heard, but it's an american thing, so i don't know much
    Is it all about weight loss an toning or does it involve bulking aswell?
    It's a H.I.I.T. type workout. http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...x.do?t=p90x2b2

I've watched the first DVD. Made me tired. That's as far as I went. It was more my lack of commitment at the time than anything else.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->here<-.
    -=Justin=- @JustinDoles - Fueled by Nerd Rage

* Workout Log | 5/3/1 Workbook + Resources | *Fitness Calculators

More Experienced than a Senior mrwright has a spectacular aura about mrwright has a spectacular aura about mrwright's Avatar
    from the looks of most of them before and after pictures, 90% of them are just standing pushing it out etc in the before, then in a better pose, smiling and tensing in the after

Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwright View Post
    from the looks of most of them before and after pictures, 90% of them are just standing pushing it out etc in the before, then in a better pose, smiling and tensing in the after
    That's likely because they suggest you already be working out when you start. It is VERY intense. Still I'll stick to weight lifting and a lil cardio.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->here<-.
    -=Justin=- @JustinDoles - Fueled by Nerd Rage

* Workout Log | 5/3/1 Workbook + Resources | *Fitness Calculators

Junior Member maurinet is on a distinguished road maurinet's Avatar
    I tied the P90X for a week and then went back to my old routine, after figuring out what the P90X is all about.

The P90X is good if you want to lose weight and tone your muscles. It is very intense and it has to be done 6 days a week with only 1 day of rest.

The reason it didn't work out for me is because I like my jogging and play team sports 2 times a week, and doing the P90X is not compatible with jogging or playing other sports because it gets you soooo tired, it has "cardio" built into it, and didn't leave me any energy to do anything else.

If you're already in your ideal weight, then it's just better to have a gym routine that will let you focus on specific muscles, instead of doing an all-rounder to lose weight and tone up.

That's my 2 cents

Administrator Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo has a reputation beyond repute Robertrogo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maurinet View Post
    I tied the P90X for a week and then went back to my old routine, after figuring out what the P90X is all about.

The P90X is good if you want to lose weight and tone your muscles. It is very intense and it has to be done 6 days a week with only 1 day of rest.

The reason it didn't work out for me is because I like my jogging and play team sports 2 times a week, and doing the P90X is not compatible with jogging or playing other sports because it gets you soooo tired, it has "cardio" built into it, and didn't leave me any energy to do anything else.

If you're already in your ideal weight, then it's just better to have a gym routine that will let you focus on specific muscles, instead of doing an all-rounder to lose weight and tone up.

That's my 2 cents
    Yeah that is the one thing that I noticed is it is for the person who wants to have that 8 pack and super toned body so when they rip their shirt off, women instantly jump over to them and wash clothes on their washboard abs haha.

I really want to try P90X for that HIIT style of training that it offers to become more toned out and lose extra weight and a bit of my muffin top haha, hate it all and I do enjoy cardio but couldn't beat doing HIIT for 6 days a week with 1 day of rest. Sounds like a plan to me on top of my bulking routine that I do 6 days a week ahha.

I don't blame you though maurinet as you can keep your own pace with jogging and playing sports from time to time and schedule it all out. With P90X it really seems like there isn't any breaks at all during your time with the program until it is finally finished, which isn't bad but you have to keep committed to it. That is dedication right there but for some of us, myself and you included, it is easier to structure out your cardio and sports playing to make it easier.

I still really want to give it a try, I want those 6-8 pack abs and look extremely ripped

www.linkedin.com/in/robertrogo
    Twitter - @RobertRogo

Experienced Member 78inchesofpain is on a distinguished road
    I did p90x for a few weeks, i noticed myself getting stronger and being able to keep up with the guys on the dvd, if you do decide to do it, i would suggest a decent selection of dumbbells, for the things you really want to hammer or feel like cutting back on.
    you most likely will find a set of the dvds on craigslist

Member SweetBlasph3my is on a distinguished road
    I did it last summer. We went up to day 84 or so... I wasn't interested in the recovery week at the end. I lost five pounds in the first week and then nothing after that. I did get stronger and in good shape though. After p90x I was finally able to curl a lot more.

I'm sure I would have lost more weight if I had paid attention to diet more but from being a swimmer for so long its really hard to break the habit of I'm working out I can eat everything I see and not worry about it.

Things like P90X and the Insanity workouts focus on strength/endurance. The high intensity workouts burn calories but the real results come from a combination of nutrition/resistance (meaning ANYTHING that pits your body against something else)/rest.

If I was wanting to change my body composition to lower the %of fat (not weight...) I'd probably pick the Insanity workout due to it never needing equipment (less is more).

Full-body workouts, however, are far more effective for building muscle than isolating, you "could" split it to an upper/lower body routines but multi-joint workouts (i.e...bench press, military press, squat, deadlift, pull-ups...) will not only build more muscle but add more functional strength than "bodybuilding".

The Insanity workout will offer a different focus on the full-body routines...you can't do it all at once...pick one and focus on it