Remove Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Same in the states. Just the facility has to be certified by the health board.
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->here<-.
    -=Justin=- @JustinDoles - Fueled by Nerd Rage

* Workout Log | 5/3/1 Workbook + Resources | *Fitness Calculators

Moderator OptikaNET is on a distinguished road OptikaNET's Avatar
    Is this guy actually growing Bark

Kind Regards
    Dave

Junior Member JackMarTIn is on a distinguished road
    Oh God,
    I really couldn't Understand why people like to inject A lots of Chemicals in their Body to get this Disgusting look Because I personally like a Nice look and functional. and Actually this kinda Muscles Always be Useless.
    Last edited by JackMarTIn; 02-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Senior Member jshilko has a spectacular aura about jshilko has a spectacular aura about jshilko's Avatar
    My observations for this thread:
    - I didn't realize that the notion of bodybuilders lacking muscular strength was so pervasive. Hypertrophy and strength are very much related, albeit not linearly. Will a 225-lb bodybuilder outlift a 225-lb powerlifter? For the powerlifter's sake, I hope not since the powerlifter's training is focused on creating maximal force production. Will a 225-lb bodybuilder outlift a 225-lb "fitness enthusiast"? Unequivocally, yes. If you know someone who claims to be a bodybuilder and is ultra weak, they are likely either pretending (their physique will give that away) or they are well into a diet and their energy levels, muscle glycogen, etc are all very depleted. What I would suggest is that you try dieting down to 5% body fat - if you succeed you will know exactly what 'strength' is.
    - There is no such thing as non-functional muscle - that is effectively an oxymoron. The whole notion of function speaks to the goal of the individual. If you want to run marathons, then maximal hypertrophy is not conducive to your goal. If you want to win bodybuilding competitions, then you probably don't need to worry about increasing your V02 max to optimal levels. If all you want to do is be able to meet life's everyday demands, that's fine, but there is no reason to knock the endeavors of people who have higher aspirations. Rather than saying you want to be and appear functional, it would be more valid to say that you would prefer an athletic physique - that's what you really mean.
    - Yes its stupid to use synthol, but guys like greg valentino are self-proclaimed freaks. He's got a few screws loose and he's proud of it. I think what he has done to himself is dumb, but what he wants is attention. Attention makes him happy and this gets him attention. I respect his right to be happy. Same goes for the freaky physiques of modern professional bodybuilders (although the new crop of pros seem to be moving back toward a more classic look). All of us need to lose the 'holier than thou' attitudes and understand that if we don't like something, it doesn't mean that someone else is wrong for enjoying it.
    - If you don't like skeletor-looking ultramarathon runners, muscle bound bodybuilders, obese powerlifters, etc, that's fine . . . i get it, you want to be average. I don't want to be average.

/end.rant
    side note: the 'bark' guy in ONet's last post likely has the physique that most males on this site would probably like to have. He is a little leaner than most aspire to, and the lighting accentuates that, but he has an impressive, athletic physique. And he must be functional since he can put his palms on the floor :-p God I hate fitness buzz words. And I hope everyone here knows that generic static stretching is stupid - you should only be performing static stretches for overactive muscles.
    /seriously.end.rant :-)

Hi Jshilko!

You're right of course! I started this thread as a tongue-in-cheek exercise. We all have different motives for why we have taken up this sport/lifestyle/bandwagon.

For me the answer is largely aesthetic. I hated the way I looked when I was a teenager. I looked reasonably good somewhere in the middle when the hours in the gym started to pay off, and now that I have let things slide I hate the way I look again (although I'm starting to make progress back to my desired physique - injuries notwithstanding!!!).

I aspire to an inspirational physique, something I can look at it the mirror in the morning and feel good about. Something that will inspire me with confidence that will last throughout the whole day.

When I look at these pictures I see people who have achieved that look - and gone past it until they have found what is for me a whole new level of hideousness.

Do I respect and even admire the work and dedication it took to get there? Yes. Do I think they should have done it? Well, as you say, if that is what makes them happy, if that is what inspires them when they look in the mirror in the morning, then who am I to take that away from them? Having said that I think it looks horrible and I would hate to look that way myself. It disturbs me a little that these are the people who are champion bodybuilders - in the sense that it is amazing the levels to which these people have pushed the human body, but they appear to be being judged - and awarded - on a basis of aesthetics which only exists in the bodybuilding-competition world, and absolutely nowhere else.

It's a bit like running an art competition whose winner's can only be admired by the competition judges themselves. To the rest of us lesser mortals we think "Huh?" and go and buy our Athena posters with dolphins on, or our copies of the Mona Lisa and wonder just how much cocaine these people (art critics) had to snort to achieve their particular sense of aesthetics.

The people photographed in this thread have gone to great effort, with enormous dedication, to achieve what they have. In this, at least, we can find admiration (much like the people who climb Everest just for the challenge - it's pointless, and they risk their lives to do it, but we can at least admire their dedication).

Whether what they have achieved was actually worth achieving is a different question and in my - as I said - tongue in cheek way I am just raising that question. This thread is for pictures of people who didn't know how to stop...

...and the rodents are just wrong...!!!!

Kind Regards
    Dave

Senior Member jshilko has a spectacular aura about jshilko has a spectacular aura about jshilko's Avatar
    Oh no Dave, please don't think my rant is directed at you - I understand why you started the thread. There are plenty of problems in the bodybuilding world, particularly at the professional level. I also enjoyed seeing the pictures in the thread, so keep posting! I even like the people that were sharing their opinions - I just wanted to dispel some of the more ignorant ideas that were being shared and repeated.

You have to admit that most people that criticize those with physique goals that they don't understand have no idea what type of effort and dedication it takes to get where they are. That's how you end up with people claiming that a man, who is likely in the top 1% of all humans strength-wise, is weak. I used to look at pictures of guys like markus ruhl and think 'ewww, I'd never want to look that way'. Now, after years of training for hypertrophy, I still don't want to look that way, but seeing pictures of those type of guys only makes me think about the type of work it took to get there.

I share your sentiment regarding the state of professional bodybuilding and your art show analogy is golden! I'll never pretend to understand what makes a modern art piece worthy of an award, but you also won't catching pretending that I'm knowledgeable about what makes it worthy! Thanks for the intelligent conversation - now back to shocking pictures!

How about this - Zack Dery has a physique that would probably appeal to the masses. Does his vascularity level ruin it for any of you? Keep in mind that he isn't in control of it so much.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	zack1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	19344
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kDHyK.jpg‎
Views:	158
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	19343  

Moderator Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation is a jewel in the rough Deviation's Avatar
    Wow. That's some crazy veins going on there. Not like he has any control over that. Can only imagine him taking a "pump" supplement.

And that last pic you posted Dave is impressive. I can't touch my toes like that and I'm nowhere near as muscular.

Now I'm scared...

Kind Regards
    Dave

Seriously....??

Kind Regards
    Dave

LMAO! Dave that one is a bit of a stretch.