Anyone recommend a beginners routine - Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recommend a beginners routine - Weight Loss

Can anyone recommend a beginners free weight routine? I've been looking through them, and I have no idea which routines are good or not.

I have a simple weight bench, nothing extravagant. Trying to get off my butt for the new year, cut back on a few pounds. (5'10", 260lbs, most of it ain't muscle)

On a different note, great job on the app. The added animations are excellent for a guy like me who honestly doesn't have a clue where to start.

Thanks.

CTec

CTec,

First of all congratulations on taking the first step into getting into shape. The first big hurdle is over now you just have to start.
    Probably no responses because the post is a bit vague. What is it you are trying to achieve? Loose weight? Gain muscle? Both? Do you workout at the gym or only at home? When you say a simple bench I envision a benchpress bench, correct?

I would pick a beginner routine and try it for a week. Then pick another and try it the next week and keep trying routines. No one routine will be perfect for you, you will have to tailor a routine that fits your abilities.

Things I would strongly recommend:
    1. Keep it FUN. Every January and February I see "resolutioners" come to the gym that are all going to get into shape, which is great but they all disappear by March, not to return again until next January.

2. Don't push it too hard in the beginning few months otherwise you might hurt yourself. This again keeps people from returning.

If you are concentrating on loosing weight at first I would put emphasis on cardio. Blech that dreaded word.

If you are just working out in your basement things I would do is:
    Burpees (youtube to see how to do a burpee, but stick to the simple ones)
    Jump Rope (my personal favorite)
    Shadow boxing
    Ladder drills
    You just want to get your heart rate up.

For weights a good starting basic routine would be

Monday
    chest, tri's

Tuesday
    Cardio

Wednesday
    Bi's and Shoulder

Thursday
    Cardio

Friday
    Back and legs

Saturday
    Cardio

Sunday
    Rest

Abs and/or core exercises can be done everyday. Mix it up and keep it light and fun.

Good luck,
    Cottonmouth

Comment

Working...
    X