Hello, need help and advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, need help and advice.

Hello everyone, I’m 31 weigh 257 and my height is about 5’11 am new to the weight lifting world, my main focus is getting down to 190-195 pounds while building strength. I also would like to have a ripped body as well, I started doing some workouts mainly shoulders but I need some guidance. Thanks in advance.

losing weight

hi mate , i am 34 years old and started going to the gym at the end of 2010 , i changed my diet to low carb and
    started the usual 3 day split

the diet was working the exercise was not , i switched to a full body routine and i started seeing muscle gains , feel free to download my routines , and get the conan workout (uploaded) as well for when you get bored in the gym . also i have uploaded progress pics so you can see this works for me

i have today got home from the gym and when i got out of the shower noticed the top 4 muscles in my stomach showing through , even though i still have some fat around the belly ..

an example of my average day's diet is something like this

breakfast - always have carbs in the morning - scrambled egg with honey roast sausages x 3 , you can get these from asda only 5.5g carbs per sausage (sometimes i have the blackthorn sausages ) if you cant get these then get your
    sausages from the butcher or i will have greek yoghurt with a go ahead bar (diet bar)

snack - tin of tuna or prawns with a handful of salad from the £1 packets you can buy in the supermarkets

dinner - fish with salad or a bag of steamed vegetables

evening meal around 6pm - roast/fried chicken breast with salad or steam veg either a cup of frozen veg or a steam
    bag

if i get hungry before bedtime i will have some cockles and a go ahead bar or some baked ham and salad

i have no set times on any of these , sometimes i dont snack unless i feel hungry , but i always always have breakfast , i speak to people all the time , im on a diet i am not losing weight , first thing i ask is what do you have for breakfast and when they answer nothing i laugh ... breakfast breakfast breakfast

Comment

Take it in steps.

First, get you diet in check. Figure out your BMR and calorie goals. You can use this calculator I put together to get that info: [URL]http://digitaldeviation.com/calc/[/URL] . Now track them. MyFitnessPal has work well for many people (myself included). Since you want to lose weight, you need to eat at a slight deficit.

Second, get a proven program. StrongLifts, Starting Strength, Simple Beginner (found here: [URL]http://jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2909[/URL] [be sure to refer to the thread]) are all solid programs that have been proven over & over again. The best part of these is that they are incredibly simple. An hour is all you need.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys... what weight should i start out at, should i just pick a number and work from there? for the cardio how long should i do it for? i can walk on a 15 incline at 3.0 mph as we speak, i do it everyday on the TM for 60 mins. sometimes i will toss in a 9.0 mph sprint for 60 seconds on 0.0 incline.

Today when i went to the gym i did Dumbbell Shoulder shrugs, Dumbbell up right row and Machine incline chest press..but that was before i say what you posted.. i will try it out, hopefully you get bac to me with an answer on the cardio, and starting weight. Thanks again.
        Last edited by Melvinhunte; 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvinhunte View Post
          Thanks for the info guys... what weight should i start out at, should i just pick a number and work from there? for the cardio how long should i do it for? i can walk on a 15 incline at 3.0 mph as we speak, i do it everyday on the TM for 60 mins. sometimes i will toss in a 9.0 mph sprint for 60 seconds on 0.0 incline.

Today when i went to the gym i did Dumbbell Shoulder shrugs, Dumbbell up right row and Machine incline chest press..but that was before i say what you posted.. i will try it out, hopefully you get bac to me with an answer on the cardio, and starting weight. Thanks again.
          For cardio, try HIIT. High intensity interval training. Basically it works likes this: 60-90 second brisk walking pace followed by 60 second run. That method will actually burn more calories than a constant fast pace. How long you do it is up to you. I'd save it for the end of the workout so you don't take energy away from your lifts.

Starting weight is different for everyone. Remember that form is ALWAYS more important than how much you lift. Start with bar if you need to. Most of us did it that way at some point. Start with a low weight and progress. All three programs above are progressive.
          Last edited by Deviation; 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

thank you, i will start on monday...

Comment

Deviation seemed to cover its all. the programs he mentioned do work. I looked at your profile you a big guy so you might feel stupid starting with light weights but dont let that distract you. I think with a mix of cardio and a good compound weight lifting routine you will see you weight drop and strength increase rapidly . Whatever you decide come back and visit the boards and let us know what you are doing. Also whatever you decide make sure you do it for 8-12 weeks. you cant tell if a program is working in a week or 2

Comment

Working...
              X