Paleo diet??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet??

I'm thinking of starting a paleo diet, but I'm not sure how that would effect my efforts to gain more lean muscle. Has anyone tried this diet, and if so, were you happy with the results?

Haven't tried it myself. It's another fad diet. If you're going to try it and continue to workout, understand that the lower levels of carbs may make you hate life for a little while until you adjust. [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet#Macronutrient_composition[/URL] (hate citing wiki but it fits)

Not against eating less processed foods. I just believe in finding a truly long term sustainable diet.

Comment

Interesting read. Find it kind of interesting that there's quite a bit of talk about "gluten free" lately. My grocery store (Kroger) has even started label items on the shelves that are gluten free. Too soon to see if its like the "carb free" craze I guess.

Comment

Avoiding gluten might be a good idea

Wheat among other things interfere with absorption of minerals and such.
        Being able to properly absorb nutrients might not be good just for general health but also gaining muscle.

There is more and more evidence that avoiding gluten is a good idea. Check this article, it's very interesting.
        [url]http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Deviation View Post
          Interesting read. Find it kind of interesting that there's quite a bit of talk about "gluten free" lately. My grocery store (Kroger) has even started label items on the shelves that are gluten free. Too soon to see if its like the "carb free" craze I guess.
          Gluten-free foods are not a "carb-free craze", they are marketed for people who are gluten-intolerant and people with Coeliac Disease who may have life-threatening consequences from eating gluten, which is a complex carbohydrate produced by wheat which humans cannot digest.

A large number of people are gluten-intolerant to some degree (eating wheat gluten will cause wind/gas, feelings of bloating and mild stomach upsets). People with Coeliac Disease actually have their bowel degraded and - in extreme cases - start to rot as a consequence of an immune-system reaction to gluten in their digestive tract.

It's not just a "health" issue like eating foods rich in Omega-3s or something like that.

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

I know some people have a gluten intolerance. And for those people, more gluten-free products is great. But there are those that make claims regarding gluten-free products in relation to weight loss/health that simply aren't founded. The latter is what I'm referring to Dave. If you recall, "carb free/low carb" had a lot of marketing hype behind it too. In fact people are still scared to eat "too many" carbs.

Comment

Well, Justin, you have to remember that I'm in the UK.

I'm not aware of any such "claims in relation to weight loss/health" over here. I remember thinking it odd in "Friends" when Brad Pitt makes his guest appearance stating that "Complex Carbs" are the enemy, because in the UK all the health campaigns were encouraging us to eat complex carbs instead of refined sugars!!!

The UK has certainly been subject to a lot of low-carb diets over the last decade or so, starting with the Atkins, but I haven's een Gluten-Free promoted as a weight-loss solution over here...

Kind Regards
              Dave

Comment

Look up the craze over the book "Wheat Belly" and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                X