Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall skinny funny looking newbie in the house to become a swedish viking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall skinny funny looking newbie in the house to become a swedish viking!

Oh what a rediculous title... wellwell.

I'm 16 years old, and I'm in the first year of gymnasium. I believe that's what you call a freshman, if you live in the USA?
    I've always been the tall skinny guy, even though my weight is a little above average weight for my lenght, my body look really skinny when I stand up. But when I sit, my belly turns into TWO bellys!!!

So, a little more than a month ago i visited the gym. This gym is really good, it's quite big and has good equipment. It also has a 3-month free beginner workout WITH instructor. That must be a golden oppurtunity, isn't it? So i've been going there for a little more than a month, and I feel really great about it. They workout 3 days a week. Monday, tuesday and thursday.
    I've noticed all they do is powerlifting, if that's what you call it? They don't use any machines, only a barbell. They do exercises like squats and such. When i first started there, I couldn't get into the squat position, I just wasn't flexible enough! After a few tries I managed to do it, and I've evolved from only being able to lift the barbell(20KG) to lifting 50KG in the full squat exercise within a month.

A few days ago I found this JEFIT app, and I was so happy I found it! Because I want to use the machines too. I want to build a cool body, not only become strong like you do with powerlifting. So, there's this beginner workout routine that followed with the app which I thought that I'm going to use on other days when I'm not doing this instructor lifting. I thought I will have to edit it a little bit because the routine has legs in it too... and we do legs all the time. 3 days a week, so removing that from the routine I think wont hurt anything, although im kind of afraid from editing routines because I dont know how they work for me. I think it will work just fine.

Yeah, I feel good about this and I plan to get bigger and lose a little of my belly till summer. By the way I don't take any supplements and I don't watch my food very carefully, I just eat normal food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner and maybe some more dinner in the evening.

I'll be researching constantly and watching you guys' routines on this forum to help me more, so I can dare to adjust my beginner workout routine more effectively for me. That's all for me. THANKS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY!

Originally posted by Arken View Post
    I'm 16 years old, and I'm in the first year of gymnasium. I believe that's what you call a freshman, if you live in the USA?
    Yep. We call the first year of High School freshman.

I've noticed all they do is powerlifting, if that's what you call it? They don't use any machines, only a barbell. They do exercises like squats and such. When i first started there, I couldn't get into the squat position, I just wasn't flexible enough! After a few tries I managed to do it, and I've evolved from only being able to lift the barbell(20KG) to lifting 50KG in the full squat exercise within a month.
    Powerlifting is a sport. Barbells and dumbbells are just referred to as free weights (versus machines). Bench press, deadlift, and squats are the main lifts in powerlifting. Not to say those lifts ONLY belong in a powerlifting routine.

although im kind of afraid from editing routines because I dont know how they work for me. I think it will work just fine.
    And you shouldn't. You're new to this. In fact I'd suggest keeping it REALLY simple to start. StrongLifts and Starting Starting Strength are great, proven routines. Look those up (plenty of info on the net and here). They will give you a great foundation to build on.

Yeah, I feel good about this and I plan to get bigger and lose a little of my belly till summer. By the way I don't take any supplements and I don't watch my food very carefully, I just eat normal food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner and maybe some more dinner in the evening.
    You're in the prime time to be lifting. Don't worry about your diet too much (don't be stupid). And you can skip supplements for now. Make sure you get your vitamins in though.

Comment

welcome to jefit! good luck with it all!

Comment

Just got home from todays workout, now I have homework to do. It gets quite narrow for free time in my "schedule", but that's manageable. Thanks for your reply Deviation! I'm glad you answered my questions and commented on my thoughts. I'll be doing the best I can!
        And thanks for your warm welcome, I'm excited to become a part of this forum and I hope I'll be contributing to it!

Comment

Just got home from todays workout, now I have homework to do. It gets quite narrow for free time in my "schedule", but that's manageable.
          Then I'd suggest even more that you look into StrongLifts or Starting Strength. Both are <1 hour in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviation View Post
            Then I'd suggest even more that you look into StrongLifts or Starting Strength. Both are <1 hour in the gym.
            Stronglifts/starting strenght, they programs seem to be just the same? But that's what I do, with the instructors 3 days a week. I just did it today I ment to say that when I said "powerlifting".

I learned from my instructor that I wont become buff when I train these programs, and that's why I want to touch the machines too. But I'm focusing most on the stronglifts because I care more about my health than how buff I want to become... But well im slowly learning more about the machine-workouts (thanks to jefit) on my own and from you guys, because that aint the instructors job to teach. I hope I will be able to create a program that works efficient for a beginner like me, and together with the stronglift program. Ofcourse, i want to become both buff and strong.

Comment

Stronglifts/starting strenght, they programs seem to be just the same? But that's what I do, with the instructors 3 days a week. I just did it today I ment to say that when I said "powerlifting".
              They are similar. Both focus on compound lifts.
              Starting Strength: [URL="http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki"]http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
              [/URL]StrongLifts: [URL="http://stronglifts.com/"]http://stronglifts.com/
              [/URL]
              Starting Strength is actaully a book put out by Mark Rippetoe. It teaches more than just what lifts to do. [URL]http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327370069&sr=1-1[/URL]

I learned from my instructor that I wont become buff when I train these programs, and that's why I want to touch the machines too.
              Well if you don't have muscle mass to start with, you'll end up being a buff skinny guy. Hate to say it, but if your instructor doesn't see the relevance in strength programs you might want to find another one.

Comment

I learned from my instructor that I wont become buff when I train these programs, and that's why I want to touch the machines too. But I'm focusing most on the stronglifts because I care more about my health than how buff I want to become... But well im slowly learning more about the machine-workouts (thanks to jefit) on my own, because that aint the instructors job to teach. I hope I will be able to create a program that works efficient for a beginner like me, and together with the stronglift program. Ofcourse, i want to become both buff and strong.

Comment

They are similar. Both focus on compound lifts.
                  Starting Strength: [URL="http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki"]http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
                  [/URL]StrongLifts: [URL="http://stronglifts.com/"]http://stronglifts.com/
                  [/URL]
                  Starting Strength is actaully a book put out by Mark Rippetoe. It teaches more than just what lifts to do. [URL]http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327370069&sr=1-1[/URL]

Well if you don't have muscle mass to start with, you'll end up being a buff skinny guy. Hate to say it, but if your instructor doesn't see the relevance in strength programs you might want to find another one.
                  Been reading through stronglifts.com a little quick. Awesome website. But is there something in the text that You don't agree with? There's lots of "unbelieveable" claims in it that gives me a feeling of commercial, I'm not anybody to judge its validity though. So maybe there's just something you might want to point out from it, I believe that you agree with its entirety.
                  And well... I can't expect a free instructor to be perfect, so I'll still take his advice than having nobody. I wouldn't be able to afford another instructor anyway.

I'm sorry for the repost, don't know what happened..

Comment

No actually the program works. There's several people on here doing StrongLifts and getting good results. Take a look through the public log section: [url]http://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Public-Log[/url]

I know it sounds like a commercial. But it actually works. You don't need to buy anything. You can get the program for free from there. They do sell a membership to their forums. StartingStrength is the same way though probably less commercial sounding. Both are simple, quick programs that really work.

Comment

No actually the program works. There's several people on here doing StrongLifts and getting good results. Take a look through the public log section: [url]http://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Public-Log[/url]

I know it sounds like a commercial. But it actually works. You don't need to buy anything. You can get the program for free from there. They do sell a membership to their forums. StartingStrength is the same way though probably less commercial sounding. Both are simple, quick programs that really work.
                      Ah, I found a couple of interesting threads in that public log forum
                      Haha okay, yarrpp I believe you and Rippetoe that they actually do work. I'll be continuing to do the stronglifting(OFCOURSE!) and on the free days I'll visit the gym just to get familiar with all the machine equipment they have there. I've started to flex my GUNS a little bit here at home with a set of dumbells. I will probably do that in the gym the next time and do some arms on them free days. By the way I came over a website called scoobysworkshop.com - It's a bodybuilding/fitness website, maybe you've heard from it? What are you thoughts on this scooby guy? I've learnt some exercises from his page that I did with my dumbells, and it feels like it's working quite good. Thought I'd be learning some more and take the next exercises to the gym.

Imma upload 1 or 2 pics to my progress pics, not like i've done any noteable progress yet, just some beginner pics.

Comment

Ah, I found a couple of interesting threads in that public log forum
                        Haha okay, yarrpp I believe you and Rippetoe that they actually do work. I'll be continuing to do the stronglifting(OFCOURSE!) and on the free days I'll visit the gym just to get familiar with all the machine equipment they have there.
                        The rest days are for resting. Don't do much more than some light cardio if anything. Your body needs time to recover.

By the way I came over a website called scoobysworkshop.com - It's a bodybuilding/fitness website, maybe you've heard from it? What are you thoughts on this scooby guy? I've learnt some exercises from his page that I did with my dumbells, and it feels like it's working quite good. Thought I'd be learning some more and take the next exercises to the gym.
                        Yep. Scooby has some great resources on his site. You can also check out his Youtube channel: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961[/URL]

Imma upload 1 or 2 pics to my progress pics, not like i've done any noteable progress yet, just some beginner pics.
                        You need to. That will give you something to compare to down the road.

Comment

The rest days are for resting. Don't do much more than some light cardio if anything. Your body needs time to recover.

Yep. Scooby has some great resources on his site. You can also check out his Youtube channel: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961[/URL]

You need to. That will give you something to compare to down the road.

Right... I forgot them free days was ment for resting, LOL at first I'm a sofa potato and now I expect me to workout everyday. I should take it easier.

By the way I have problems with my lower back. See, let's imagine that I stand up straight and try to bend over till my back becomes parallel with the floor. It doesn't work for me because my lower back doesn't bend like the rest of my back do, it forms like a curve sort of. I rarely bend over to pick something up from the floor because it looks awkward and it doesn't feel natural. If I need to bend over to get something I rather crouch to reach it.
                          BUT I can make it perfectly straight if i bend my legs, or crouch, the more I crouch the better form my lower back becomes.

Can I fix this somehow? I don't know if it's about flexibility or something. Maybe I need to do stretching? If so, which?

Comment

Can I fix this somehow? I don't know if it's about flexibility or something. Maybe I need to do stretching? If so, which?
                            Might want to get a doctor's opinion first. Just to eliminate any physical problems with the spine.

Comment

Might want to get a doctor's opinion first. Just to eliminate any physical problems with the spine.
                              Good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X