honey as pre-workout supplement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honey as pre-workout supplement?

So I've seen this pop up quite a bit in the last couple of days. They say doing the raw honey is a good source of sugar before working out and improves NO2 levels? Has anyone on here actually tried this?? Just curious on this

i eat honey regularly.but never for a work. i have always taken it for it health benefits along with pure garlic. both are great for the immune system. natural antibiotic. Anyway had some free time and founs some interesting stuff on honey specificlly for working out...

[url]http://www.livestrong.com/article/547197-what-does-honey-do-for-you-after-you-work-out/[/url]

Honey has a lower glycemic index than other sugars, which may make it superior for carbohydrate recovery. The glycemic index is a method of rating foods based on their effect on your blood glucose

Importance
    Post-workout carbohydrate ingestion is an important part of recovery. During exercise, your blood glucose levels can drop because your muscles use available glucose for energy. You must ingest carbohydrates after your workout to replenish your blood glucose. In addition, during recovery, your muscles take in extra blood glucose to replenish their internal stores of glucose, or muscle glycogen. During recovery, your muscles also compensate by increasing their stores for your next workout. If blood glucose is unavailable to your muscles at this time, your body cannot recover adequately.

Honey may also be useful before and during your workout. If you eat honey before exercise, you allow for a slow and steady release of glucose into the blood. This can keep your body from using its stored muscle glycogen as fuel. Sparing muscle glycogen can keep fatigue at bay. During your workout, honey may also be effective at increasing the power output of your muscles, improving your performance
    Read more: [url]http://www.livestrong.com/article/547197-what-does-honey-do-for-you-after-you-work-out/#ixzz1l7lc5Ijy[/url]

Comment

Everyone has their preferred pre workout snack, and mine was a simple protein shake. But a few weeks ago, my protein shake did not sit so well with me. I guess it felt too heavy right after waking up, so I was forced to try something else.

I looked around the kitchen to find a simple carb that will supply enough energy to sustain me through an intense workout.

I noticed there was some organic honey on the counter and decided to go for it since I was running out of time. So, I mixed a tablespoon with some cinnamon and creatine and headed off to the gym. Surprisingly, my stomach felt calm and my body was enjoying it, so I continued with the same concoction for the rest of the week.

The conclusion was that honey was my perfect pre-workout supplement.

I couldn’t wait to look it up and see if there was any validity to what I was experiencing. And there was!

Dr. Richard Kreider of the University of Memphis Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory, conducted various studies that revealed honey’s amazing fitness benefits.

One of the studies compared honey’s effects to other carbohydrate gels. Honey showed to be just as good or better than those industry sport gels!

As a pre-workout snack, honey can increase power, speed and endurance. Honey acted as a time-released carb source that did not create a sugar spike and crash. It’s low glycemic index, sustained blood sugar for up to 2 hours after a workout.

As a post-workout supplement, honey mixed with protein was shown to be great and effective for refueling and recovering the muscles.

According to a study conducted by the University of California, honey contains as many antioxidants as spinach, apples, oranges and strawberries. WOW.

Comment

anyway. i Currently dont take ANYTHING for preworkout.. so i think im a good person to test how it helps if any. so im going to try it out for a wile.

Comment

Hi,

Just so that you know, honey is not a low-glycemic index food. It is lower than table sugar but that is not the same as saying it is low.

In fact 38.5% of it is Fructose which is the sugar with the highest glycemic index of all. Another 31.3% is Glucose which is also a high glycemic index sugar. 1.3% is Sucrose, which is table sugar. These three combined (roughly 70%) are similar in composition to Inverted Sugar Syrup which is that nasty diabetes-causing stuff they put in processed foods.

However, honey also contains Maltose (7.1%) which has a lower glycemic index, and contains 1.5% complex carbohydrates which also have a lower glycemic index. These contribute to lowering the overall glycemic index of honey as a food, and help it give a sustained carbohydrate release as the complex carbs break down.

But at 1.5% that is a very small portion of the overall composition.

By all means enjoy your honey, and it is a natural product, but like all things it should be enjoyed in moderation because it can be a very unhealthy food.

Kind Regards
          Dave
          Last edited by OptikaNET; 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Whole wheat bread + peanut butter + honey = great pre-run snack. I use that quite a bit when I take my long runs (5+ miles).

Aside from that, I eat local honey. It helps with my allergies. I was skeptical but it does seem to work for me.

Comment

Sure honey is the best supplements during workouts.
              I also use honey before doing my workouts.

Spam (donuts) Link removed By Moderator
              Last edited by OptikaNET; 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM. Reason: Spam Removal

Comment

Honey Provide Natural Energy To The Body

According to the health experts and professional bodybuilders honey is the best source of getting natural energy and it provides carbohydrates to the body that help to fuel energy. Many years ago professional athletes and sports person took honey as pre workout to build your performance active and boost.
                For all doubts about honey as pre workout follow this link....[URL="http://www.mouzlo.com/sports-nutrition/pre-workout.html"]http://www.mouzlo.com/sports-nutrition/pre-workout.html[/URL]

Last edited by survinkaur; 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM. Reason: modify

Comment

Working...
                X