Beginner question about bulking/cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner question about bulking/cutting

I am about 6ft tall 180 lbs or so and from what I figure 20% body fat. I haven't had a steady workout schedule or gone to a gym regularly in years. If i am looking to gain strength and muscle mass, what makes more sense long term? Should I start with a bulking or cutting routine?

Start with going to the gym regularly!!!

The rest is personal choice. For example; I have low self esteem and my self-esteem would be greatly improved if I could shift this spare-tyre (Gad! It's a spare-tyre-FACTORY) around my waist. So right now cutting is my priority, while improving tone and bulking a little if I can without defeating my calorie-goal.

However, if you find your muscle-shape more upsetting when you look in the mirror than your excess fat then you should absolutely consider bulking your priority. Realistically, you are going to end up doing both if you are going to achieve anything so which you do both is entirely up to you - whichever you find the most satisfying, whichever gives you the most motivation to succeed in your goals.

It is possible to bulk and cut at the same time, given the proviso that you won't do either one very well/very efficiently. But the most important thing is 1) make using the gym a staple part of your routine and 2) sort out your diet. Muscles are made in the kitchen, fat is lost in the kitchen. Either way, the kitchen is the most important thing to look at right now!

Kind Regards
    Dave

Comment

To be honest, the foods you need to be eating are going to be the same either way. It's just the quantities and the interval that differ (and even then the interval doesn't change much!).

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X