Natural bodies.... And a SHARK!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural bodies.... And a SHARK!!!

I watched JAWS II on TV the other night, and I was struck by how the filmmaker chose to depict very normal people with very normal physiques on the beach scenes.

Were it to be made today, everyone would have beautiful bodies and be fresh from the gym.

Instead we had skinny types and podgy types. I didn't see a single dancing-pec!!!

Now I had mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I was disappointed in the lack of beautiful flesh (even the bikinied girls whose bottoms the Director's lens lingered upon lovingly were skinny rather than pneumatic-and-supermodel-gorgeous....) which I enjoy looking at as much as the next man.

On the other hand, it was kind of refreshing to see more normal body types without any kind of implied criticism.

It didn't inspire me to get-to-the-gym and sort-my-diet-out as the more modern trend of underwear-model-lovelies would probably have done, but as a reminder that we are all different shapes and sizes and that this is not a bad thing, it had a certain merit. And it didn't promote unrealistic standards.

Well... not for the humans anyway. Since Great Whites rarely grow longer than 18 feet these days and 25 feet tends to be unheard of in this day and age, perhaps there may be a few "White Pointers" feeling inadequate as a result of the Director's choices...

What does anybody else think?

Kind Regards
    Dave

Just a reflection of how they have changed what we should look like. It's not the general population making people feel inadequate; it's the magazines. You know the ones written by out of shape writers.

That era wasn't mine, but it did produce some beautiful, natural ladies.

Guess this falls into the 80's, but still.

Comment

It's not the writers that are the problem it's Photoshop!!!

I think I'm preaching to the choir here when I say we all know that it is possible to achieve great things in the gym if we have the time, the motivation and the dedication to do so. I also suspect you are with me when I say that most of us on this forum wouldn't be here if that wasn't exactly what we would like to achieve.

Hopefully most of us are not so stupid as to let our desire for an improved body lead us to taking steroids or other illegal substances, and most of us realise that good-looks are not in themselves enough, but that good health is important too.

It's bad enough that, for many in the fitness-model industry there is a huge amount of pressure to use performance-enhancing drugs to give them that edge, but what really sticks-in-my-throat is when it becomes obvious that the physiques in the magazines that we admire and aspire to are actually impossible and not in fact possessed by the models who appear in them!

That's the really heatbreaking thing.

The sport has come a long way since the days of Steve Reeves and Victor Sandow, but if that wasn't enough, the digital age has now put the goals beyond the achievement of most of us.

I think something is really going to have to be done about this soon.

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

I grew up in the 70's and 80's; very few people had the body types you see today. It is funny, more people are unhealthier than ever however on the flip side, more people are working out to achieve that male/female model appearance.

The muscle memory thing; I didn't start working out till I was 29 so I am in better shape than I was in my 20's.

My motto has always been "bigger, stronger, faster". While I want to achieve this I also want to look GOOD. I want both the functionality and have the onlookers wishing they could commit and be in as good shape. I have considered steroids on several occasions especially personally knowing others that do. But I have stayed away from them for health reasons as well my future goals would not allow for them. Plus I believe if you are going to take them than you should not be ashamed to say you are on them; I would be.

Comment

JAWS III tonight.

Must remember to take my brain out before it starts... And my aesthetic sense...

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

There are a few bodybuilder types on display among the staff of the sea-life centre this time around...

Kind Regards
            Dave

Comment

Watching an old episode of "Law and Order", and there is a scene set in a gym. Prompted me to think;

Why is it that in gyms in TV drama shows, there are never any fat people?

Realistically there are two kinds of people working out in gyms; those that have achieved their fitness goals and those that are still on the journey. And yet, watch a TV show and you'd think everyone at the gym has just stepped out of a modelling agency...

#myths we perpetuate...

Kind Regards
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
                Realistically there are two kinds of people working out in gyms; those that have achieved their fitness goals and those that are still on the journey.
                I think there's only one kind; those that are still on the journey. I know I've hit my goals, but I'm still trying to go above that. Granted, there could be a second kind; those that are there to text.

Comment

Some are only still on the journey because they have moved the goalposts...

Kind Regards
                  Dave

Comment

If there is no struggle, there is no progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X