Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STarting Trouble with Jefit

Hi

I am new here. I am about 20 kgs overweight. I have developed a routine of going to the gym regularly and I wish to sustain my progress by being able to track my progress and see some tangible benefits. Jefit was highly recommended - but I am having trouble making any headway. ALl I wish to do is track my cardio exercises Treadmill, Stationery Bike, Rowing machine etc. These are fairly standard gym eqipment, but everytime I select one of these exercise, the app keeps asking me for "weight" and "reps". I want to be able to just teack the duration I spend on each machine and the number of calories I have burnt - according to the machine itself.

What am I missing here - can someone please guide me as to how I can do this on Jefit?

Many Thanks.

Jefit was originally designed to track weighttraining and cardio workouts were sort-of tagged on as a bit of an afterthought which is why you are having the problems you are. The Jefit developers recognise that cardio logging is not up to the required standard and have promised us that they are working to correct this, but because they are a small team and now have two platforms to support (android and iphone) progress has been a little slow. On some of the cardio exercises you can alter the logging to "calories" and "time" and a few other things, but this has not been implemented universally across the board and the website doesn't support it at all.

We are told that all this will change (improve) but we must be patient.

Out of interest, are you using android or iphone? I am not familiar with the iphone application myself but this has been worked on far more recently than the android and so probably has more sophisticated cardio logging. It may also make a difference if you are using the free version or the pro version as the pro version does have expanded functionality.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and I hope you find the support and motivation your are looking for on here. As a thought, if you add some weight training into your exercise regime and build a little muscle you might find your weight loss goes faster as muscle takes more calories just to exist than fat tissue does and so burns the fat faster.

You might also want to look for a calorie-counting program. Jefit are looking into integrating this into the software but that is a big job and might take a while. In the meantime, a lot of users on this forum use MyFitnessPal for calorie logging.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave

Thanks for the response, Dave. I am using the android app myself. I have absolutely no issues coughing up 4.99 or whatever it is for the pro version, if someone can guarantee that the facility is available here. I have tried out a lot of apps, and I am a bit wary of spending more money on this for no benefit. I use calorie counter from Fatsecret for calorie logging - that one does have facility to track your activities, but the drawback with that one is it calculates the calories burnt itself - always turns out to be far higher than that displayed on my exercise machine. Anyway, I am very pleased with myself for sticking to an exercise routine for a while now - it would just help the gadget freak in me to use my samsung galaxy s2 for tracking all sorts of stuff that I am doing.

On the suggestion for weight training, I like that --Currently I am in the hands of my trainer at the local leisure centre - I guess he is starting me off slowly - after a few decades of sedentary existence, he probably doesn't want me doing myself an injury by taking on too much too soon. He says he will review after 4-6 weeks and change my routine if necessary. Let me see what he comes up with.

I like my android phone much better than the iPhone I used to own, but the problem is the quality of apps and pace of development is much lower than that in the iOS space. I was hoping it would improve over time. But I don't see too much progress even after 2+years. A pity.
      Last edited by picadillyjim; 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Quick Update - Downloaded the free Android App - when I select an equipment such as Treadmill, or bike, the options to enter time and calories are available there. Of course, it would be good to track levels, rpm,etc, but that is enough to be getting along with. Hopefully future updates will provide more features, and I do wish they atleast provide the same facilities on the website as well as the app.

All said and done,I suppose the main thing is to actually do the exercises, rather than worry about noting stuff down. :-)

Comment

We've been told it's all in the works... But the develpment team has been stretched to the limits with the iphone support so it's taking a while...

Everything comes to he who waits!!! Glad you are finding greater functionality though.

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X