New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hi guys just thought I'd introduce myself.
    1st day at the gym today
    Want to losse a bit of weight (Tone up) and add a bit of muscle at the same time.
    We have got our 1st babies, twins on the way mid August so I want to see what I can acheive in this time scale as
    when babies come life will be all over the place

Lost 6lbs in past week and 5 cm off my waist just with cutting out fizzy juice and sweets.
    BEEN SO TIRED but feeling better this week (Withdrawel)

now that weather is getting better I will be out on my bike, last summer I was doing 14m to 60 mile rides.

Any advice etc etc would be a great help as I am doing this alone so motivation can dwindle at points so need to keep it up.

Any advice on eating my problem is I can be driving for hours on end at work as I cover from N.Yorkshire to Shetlands and N.Ireland.
    Not always got the chance to be at the gym due to working away but will do some exercises in my room to tide me over.
    Eating thing due to sitting in a car for hours on end (I climb telecoms masts for a living so get exersice everyday)
    Last edited by jas.mcd; 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM.

welcome to the forum .Congratulations on the twins. That should keep you busy.
    Have a Great Day ,Dewayne

Comment

Thanks mate.

Was back again today doing shoulders/triceps.

Legs still sore but getting there from the other day.
      Got the leg press to 190kg and doing wanting to do more sets now
      so looking to do 6 sets of 8 or at least 4 sets of 8 and counting.

Trying to vary it but cardio does me in. bike fine as I love cycling but running WHY!

Comment

Originally posted by jas.mcd View Post
        Thanks mate.

Was back again today doing shoulders/triceps.

Legs still sore but getting there from the other day.
        Got the leg press to 190kg and doing wanting to do more sets now
        so looking to do 6 sets of 8 or at least 4 sets of 8 and counting.

Trying to vary it but cardio does me in. bike fine as I love cycling but running WHY!
        Welcome mate,

Dont train muscle groups that are sore, you are asking for injury. Also, more is not always better, 6 sets isnt necassary unless some of them are purely for warming up the muscle group.

Comment

Always remember; muscles do not grow during exercise, they grow during rest. If you don't give them adequate rest (at least four days) then they won't grow at all, and you're just wasting your time.

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

thanks for replys guys

I have been going 3x a week splitting my routine up.
            Eg
            Shoulders/Triceps
            Back
            Legs
            Arms.

I was back today
            Tophalf what do you mean?
            Is 6 not enough or to many?

I try to split it to give other parts a rest.
            I have cut out all sweets fizzy drink fast food etc
            Which there was a lot.
            I have lost 5cm round my waist and about 9.5 kg so
            Feeling good.
            Tried brown rice for 1st time and like it,
            Everyone keeps offering me sweets
            I am fed up with it as it was hard enough giving them up without
            Everyone trying to give me them. Grrr.

I am trying to build up muscle mass but
            Toning is good too so do i have to do one then the other?

Again thanks for the help.

Comment

Usually 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps are all you need per exercise. Six sets is probably too many, unless you are including warm-ups in that.

This is just a generic rule, some workouts differ - perhaps using a larger number of sets with a smaller number of reps. If you are doing six sets because you are working to a specific routine or style that requires that, then fair enough. If you are doing six sets because that just seemed like a good idea, then you may be overworking. The effort you are putting into the extra two sets might be better served put into a different exercise which would hit the muscles in a different way and thus maximise your workout.

I suspect this is what Tophalf was telling you.

Kind Regards
              Dave

Comment

Oh, and there is no such thing as "toning". What people usually refer to as "toning" is what happens when the an unused muscle tightens up and becomes firm as a result of a few weeks of exercise. This is just a form of muscle growth and is not a seperate process.

Kind Regards
                Dave

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.
                  What is your thoughts on the pyramid system?
                  Or should I just stick to my reps as is?

Comment

I used to pyramid all the time, because it was the way I was originally taught to work out. It has its advantages and is a great way to work the muscle but it has its disadvantages too.

It does tend to promote laziness - you pick a weight you can only do four reps for, for the last exercise, for example. This is useful for people wanting to increase the weight you lift regularly, but increasing the weights is not the be-all-and-end-all of weighttraining.

A recent personal trainer pointed out to me that growth is stimulated by damage to the muscle. The damage is caused by the muscle movement. Therefore the more muscle movement there is, the more damage there is and the stronger the body's signal to grow the muscle.

Therefore four sets of 12 reps could, potentially, cause more muscle damage than four sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 reps even if the latter is with heavier weights, and therefore stimulate better growth...

The truth is that they are both equally valid ways of working. What really matters is change as the body gets used to a particular way of working and it starts to have less effect than before. Changing things up can restimulate growth after you plateau. But this also suggests that you should pick a system and stick with it for a while - if you do all possible moves in all possible combinations all the time, then you don't have anywhere to go when growth slows up (as it inevitably will at some point).

Having said all that, no doubt there are many who would give me an argument on the subject. My personal trainer told me to do different exercises every time I go to the gym!

So look at the different ways of working, including the pyramid system. Give them a try, find one that works for you and stick with it for a while. Then, when it has become comfortable and predictable (even boring?), switch to something else and give the muscles a shock to keep them growing.

Kind Regards
                    Dave

Comment

I am concerned by the messages you've been posting on this forum, and I suspect you are here to spread spam. If you do not want to be deleted then you must respond to this message within the next few days and prove to me that you are a person.

Kind Regards
                      Dave
                      (Moderator)

Comment

No mate not spam.
                        I don't undetstand why you would think this?

Please feel free to look at my profile as i have added pics etc.

Can you please explain why you think its spam.
                        Cheers
                        As a mod i think you will be able to see my email to contact
                        Me direct.
                        Thx

Comment

Hi Jas.mcd; I'm sorry you were confused. I wasn't talking to you I was talking to the previous poster James125. In a short time he has posted four messages with poor English which say things like "Butter is a healthy food". His username, "James" doesn't agree with the name he used in his first post, he has no information at all in his profile.

The usual pattern is that in a day or so, someone or something (botnet) will go through all of the posts he's made and edit them to include spam links. Unfortunately until that happens I cannot prove he is here to post spam and cannot do anything about him except ask him to prove that he is a genuine member. Since the private messaging on this site hasn't been working for months I have to do that in the forums themselves.

This is part of the service we use to protect our Forum members from spam and from following unsafe links which could result in the infection of their computers with viruses or worms.

I'm sorry if you thought this was directed at you - it is clear from your posts that you are a genuine user and you are welcome to the forums.

Kind Regards
                          Dave

Comment

Sorry mate.
                            Better safe than sorry.
                            Happy hunting :-)

Comment

Just trying to beat the zombie part as no doubt when they come
                              The mrs won't be very happy to let me go to the gym so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X