Help/Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Advice

I have been working out for years (for the most part off and on). I recently went to a personal trainer for 6 months and I lost 20 lbs. Now I am doing it all myself, I am sort of overwhelmed with what to do. I have done a lot of research, trial and error and now I am semi-comfortable with what I have created but I am still a little stumped on weight training and what to do. Here is what I am doing so far:

Sunday- arms and abs:abdominal crunch on ball w knee lifts, abdominal twist, side plank w oblique twist, kneeling row, push up, chest fly w rotation on bench, cross arm lift, bicep curl on on bench, supine arm tricep extensionP
    Monday-Legs (adbductor, adductors, leg extension, leg curls, and dumbbell lunges)
    Tuesday-bootcamp class at my gym
    Wednesday-free day
    Thursday-Spinning class, abs & arms (same items as Sunday)
    Friday-Legs
    Saturday-Spinning and bootcamp class

I may incorporate an HIIT on treadmill on my leg or Wednesday. The classes, I really like but as far as everything else is there anything that I should add or change? As If i keep this routine, how long should I do it? I don't want my body to get used to it or I get tired of doing the same thing.

Thank you for any help or advice that anyone can offer.

You're not doing any back or shoulders work that I can see, and if the order you list the exercises is the order you do them then my concern is that you are not optimising your workout. Compound exercises (eg Dumbell Lunges) are harder than isolation exercises (eg Leg Curls). You should really do the compounds first while your glycogen levels are high and you have enough concentration to do them with strict form. This will then tire the muscles so you can squeeze the last work out of them with the isolation exercises which are easier and easier to maintain strict form. This is a more efficient way to work and will allow you to squeeze more effort out of your workout than you would the other way around. I would leave abductor/adductor exercises until last.

Workouts should balance each other. If you work chest without working back then as your chest gets stronger it will pull your shoulders forwards giving an unpleasant rounded-shoulder look. You will begin to have strains, your posture will deteriorate and you may get a bad back. You need to balance the workouts so that your back is as strong as your chest and everything is in balance.

I'm not sure what "kneeling rows" are so I can't tell if they are a back exercise or a shoulder one, or something else but it seems to be the only thing on this list that belongs to those muscle groups.

I would also do the core work after the chest work, not the other way around.

If you are training legs on Friday, then doing spinning on Saturday (which is legs again) then training legs on Monday then I fear that you are overtraining legs and that is not a good thing to do. If you then decide to do treadmill on Wednesday then you are REALLY overtraining legs.

This doesn't seem like a balanced workout to me.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Comment

Thanks!

I am sort of new to all this so I am looking for any and all info/advice. I have been spending the last hour or so going through the routines on this website and downloaded a few of them.

I belong to a gym that has everything so I am really not limited on equipment. I really enjoy the classes but just need help with the weight part-how much, frequency, what exactly to do, etc.

Like this one, i sort of like:
      [URL]http://www.jefit.com/my-jefit/my-workout-routine/?id=100000[/URL]
      or this one-
      [URL]http://www.jefit.com/my-jefit/my-workout-routine/?id=100004[/URL]

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Well I guess I can't say either of those routines suck can I? The K.I.S.S. one is a bit unexplained/incomplete. I wouldn't start there.

Don't assume you can "fix" an area by repeatedly doing the same exercises. This is very true for the abs. More on that here: [url]http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html[/url]

So let's lay out your routine with your classes.

Sunday - OFF (off means OFF; no workout)
        Monday - Simple Beginner
        Tuesday - Bootcamp + Ab Work
        Wednesday - Simple Beginner
        Thursday - OFF
        Friday - Simple Beginner
        Saturday - Spinning + Ab Work

It's important to not get burnt out. You need to give yourself time out (at least in the beginning) to relax/recover. Off days can be any day except those where you lift weights. You'll also notice there's no machines in that Simple Beginner routine. I won't start the argument here, but let's just say I'm not a fan. Also make sure you read the first post in this thread: [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843[/url] all pro knows his stuff.

I don't know what your bootcamp is or how long your spinning classes are. Those would be the days I'd add in ab work though. Dumbbell side bends, oblique crunches, hanging leg raises, crunches are all good.

Comment

Working...
        X