Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the UK.

Hey all, new to the forums and site.

So far loving the website and app, Really looking forward to reading people's routine's and personal prefrences to training.I've been training now for about six months and i can see that im now well toned, but thats not why i got into weight training, being 6ft 5 and only weighing 13 stone i struggle to put the weight on.If anyone can recomend some tips/routine's i will be very greatfull.Anyway i can't wait to try the app out at the gym tomorrow.

Regards

Graeme

Welcome to the forums!!!

As regards your question; it's all in the diet. If you've a fast metabolism then you will struggle to put weight on but you need to make sure that your calorie intake is (a) about 500 Kcal higher than your daily requirement and (b) including a good source of protein.

The best routine in the world will not help you if you're burning the calories rather than using them to build.

Good luck with your programme.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry for the delayed responce (internets troubles),so in terms of eating the right food am i basically looking for food that has a high carb count only? (i'm a noob at this sort of thing).I think i'm going to post my diet in the forums and hopefully someone can give me some tips.

Regards

Graeme

Comment

No, make sure you are getting enough protein first. After that it's just down to calories. It doesn't matter where they come from, if you're trying to gain weight and you have a fast metabolism that makes weight gain difficult, just increase your calorie intake. If that doesn't work, increase it more until you start gaining weight.

Make sure it's muscle you put on not fat, but if you have a fast metabolism, you are getting enough protein and you are exercising effectively then that shouldn't be a problem

Kind Regards
        Dave

Comment

Hi Graeme

Like deviation said, its essential to get the right amount of protein in your diet if you are lifting weights. then carbs and fat will make up the rest of your daily nutritional needs.

If you dont get the right amount of protein then those valuable hours you spend in the gym wont pay off.

The guy I train with is tall and slim, he's always had trouble putting on weight.

He started at 59kg's (little Runt) when we stated training together about 9 weeks ago, he is now up to 68kg and growing.

My buddies diet is protein heavy and he is taking in a calorie surplus everyday. the weight gain is mostly muscle with only a slight bit of bodyfat, slight enough he is not concerned by it at all.

We do a 5x5 stronglift programme 3 times a week

You would be better off finding out your nutritional goals rather posting a diet and asking people to critique it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonhannen View Post
            Like deviation said, its essential to get the right amount of protein in your diet if you are lifting weights. then carbs and fat will make up the rest of your daily nutritional needs.
            Ahem... So far as I know, Deviation has not yet commented in this thread!!! Mind you, has anybody ever seen Deviation and myself at the same place at the same time...?

Enquiring minds need to know...

Kind Regards
            Devia....
            I mean Dave!!! Dave!!! My name is Dave!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
              Ahem... So far as I know, Deviation has not yet commented in this thread!!! Mind you, has anybody ever seen Deviation and myself at the same place at the same time...?

Enquiring minds need to know...

Kind Regards
              Devia....
              I mean Dave!!! Dave!!! My name is Dave!!!

Sincere Apologies

Comment

Okay, I recommend that you google this stuff since this will give you a better understanding of what is going on, but to get you started.

The Recommended Daily Requirement for Protein is:
                0.8g per Kg Lean Bodyweight.

So weigh yourself in Kg and multiply by 0.8 and that is the amount of protein, in grams, you need to be eating every day to make any progress.

However, some sources (eg [url]http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm[/url] suggest that figure should be more like 1.33g per 1kg of bodyweight. Other sources differ.

Protein sources should be; Whey Protein, Eggs, Chicken/Turkey, Lean Meats, Cottage Cheese, Nuts etc (in approximate order of importance, bio-availability etc).

Now work out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) using any of the calculators on the internet. Here's one from "My Fitness Pal":
                [url]http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator[/i]

Now multiply that figure by 1.2. This will give you the energy you need in calories (Kcal) on a daily basis (assuming a sedentary lifestyle). Now add at least 500 calories (Kcal) to that figure. This is the minimum calorie intake you should have every single day (including protein calories) if you are to gain weight.

Remember though that when you exercise you will burn calories, so you need to track how many calories you burn in exercise and add that to the total for that day and make sure you increase the amount you eat accordingly. You may need to increase the number of meals you eat in the day and their frequency in order to make sure you get that many calories. As a suggestion; aim to eat six meals a day at about 2 hour intervals. Carry items like nuts and seeds around with you and snack on them to keep your calories up.

If after a couple of weeks this isn't working, try adding more calories to your daily intake until it does start working. Everyboy is different and it may take you a little while to find the optimum diet. Do keep checking that you aren't just putting on fat, but if your protein is high and your exercise regime is effective, that shouldn't be a problem.

You might find it useful to use a calorie tracker like "My Fitness Pal" to follow you diet. Remember to use it for weight-gain, not loss or things may get confusing!

Do read around the subject - there's lots of information on the website. Do make use of Protein Whey Shakes to keep your protein high and always have a protein shake within an hour of exercise as there is a "window" in which the body absorbs protein more efficiently after exercise but only for an hour before things go back to normal.

Good luck!

Kind Regards
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
                  No, make sure you are getting enough protein first. After that it's just down to calories. It doesn't matter where they come from, if you're trying to gain weight and you have a fast metabolism that makes weight gain difficult, just increase your calorie intake. If that doesn't work, increase it more until you start gaining weight.

Make sure it's muscle you put on not fat, but if you have a fast metabolism, you are getting enough protein and you are exercising effectively then that shouldn't be a problem

Kind Regards
                  Dave
                  Are you sure?!

I always thought carbs were just as important as the protein, to give the body the energy to lift the weights, and to let the protein repair the muscles

So if i eat 5000 calories of protein and fatty burgers a day it'll work the same as rice, sweet potato etc?!

Comment

Originally posted by mrwright View Post
                    Are you sure?!

I always thought carbs were just as important as the protein, to give the body the energy to lift the weights, and to let the protein repair the muscles

So if i eat 5000 calories of protein and fatty burgers a day it'll work the same as rice, sweet potato etc?!
                    Nutritionists are divided on this. Some say it doesn't matter. Others say it does. The jury is out. Most research I've seen recently says that calories are treated the same regardless of source as far as metabolism is concerned.

Now, as far as diabetes is concerned, or cancer, or arteriosclerosis, then the amount of fat you take in matters but opinion is divided as to what is the ideal proportion of nutrients.

But if all the food calories are burnt, the research suggests it doesn't really matter where they come from. A lot of marathon runners fuel up on high fat snacks like donuts etc because it's the most efficient (and tasty!) way to present the body with the calories it needs.

Having said that I did advocate good food choices and a good balance matters. Weight gain is a different animal to weight loss anyway...

Kind Regards
                    Dave

Comment

Protein, carbs, and fats. All three are important. Not just protein.

I'm going to forego the macros part and give you a quick easy way to gain weight. GOMAD - Gallon of Milk A Day. Full of protein, fats & carbs. You will bulk on this.

Oh and welcome.

Comment

I hate milk...

Kind Regards
                        Dave

Comment

The way I understand it is that protein should be your resource to build, repair and maintains your muscles. Fat and Carbs should be your sources of energy that fuel your body.

You need a balanced diet and the best way to find the balance is by trial and error, measuring your results and making small adjustments eg if your not putting on weight bump your intake by 200 calories per day.

Dave's advice should give you a good foundation & starting point but no one can accurately predict what is exactly right for anyone individual.

Be scientific with your approach and disciplined recording your results, this will give you enough information to accurately make small adjustments to your diet and achieve results.

If you dont record how many calories you are taking in you dont know how much you need to adjust if you are not gaining/losing weight.
                          If you dont record how much protein you are taking, you dont know how much to add if you are losing strength or muscle mass overtime.

Some people are genetically gifted or just plain lucky and can get by "winging it" For the rest of us there is a proven scientific approach.

Comment

Or just cheat and use this: [url]http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/[/url]

[URL="http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/"]
                            [/URL]

Comment

Or cheat even more and pump yourself full of enough drugs that your testicles fall off.

Comment

Working...
                              X