routine for a skinny guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routine for a skinny guy

I was hoping someone has suggestions for a routine on here that would help a skinny guy. I'm currently 6' about 160lbs (on a good day) and the Android app is how I keep track of my workouts, so a routine downloaded off here would be perfect. I work out at a gym I think is pretty equiped, it doesn't have everything, but it's free. I'm looking to bulk and routinely workout 4 days a week, though I could go all 7 days a week if need be. Any suggestions? Anyone is the same boat that found a routine with results? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I would suggest you get on a program like StrongLifts, which as you doing 5 compound movements spread over 3 days of the week. It has you working at sets of 5x5 and constantly upping the weight every week. So although it may start out relatively easy, this is a good time to work on your form so when the weight starts to get really heavy you aren't going to snap yourself in half by performing the movements incorrectly.

Along with this I would suggesting eating a lot. And by a lot, I mean a lot. Whatever you are eating and if you think you are eating enough to gain weight, you aren't, eat more. Some people also suggest GOMAD (gallon of milk a day), now I haven't tried this myself but it is a fairly fool proof way of gaining weight.

I am around the 6' mark myself, but somewhere in the region of 190lbs~, so you could definitely stand to gain a few lbs.

So to round off, I suggest the SL program and eating a lot. Do this for about 6 months and then see where you are.

Comment

EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT

To gain size, you need food. i'm currently aiming for about 5000 + calories a day (2000 from a weight gainer drink), i'm 6 foot an weigh more than you (although with 24% body fat so probably carrying more useless weight) but my idea with the excess (you and i would probably only need about 3000 4000 if your highly active)

my thinking was if i aim for pretty much double what i get mainly on my workout and before/after my workout days even if i'm to busy or whatever to get it all in, i should still be getting enough, and i'll be getting enough to cover any other exercise i do etc

Not something i'd recommend to be honest as will probably mean a fair bit of added fat.

Comment

Eat more calories than you expend. It's simple. Get an app to track your intake. MyFitnessPal works great for this.

Comment

I know what you mean. When I was younger I trained and trained and trained. And never gained a pound. At 16 I was 5'11 148 lbs. Then one of my dads friends who was a power lifter helped me put together a diet for bulking and I put on 35 lbs that year. Now I am older and 35 lbs isn't realistic for me in a year but its all about calories and protein. For me the magic number was 5000 per day.

I am 37 now and when I bulk I still have to eat at least 3700 calories a day to really add anything. I am 205 lbs now but am working to get back to 235. If you are anything like me you will find the workouts are easy, its cramming all the clean food in that you can that gets tiresome.

Someone above mentioned GOMAD. I know some that have used it with great success. You can calculate your BMR and then use that number to find your target by using the harris bennedict formula then adding 500 and you have a good place to start. Those calculators are online for free and pretty easy to use.

I also use myfitnesspal as well. It works pretty good although its definitely designed for weight loss it does have some weight gain functionality. You can also manipulate the daily calorie numbers and macro percentages. My wife gets so annoyed when I am scanning everything with a barcode that I eat to make sure I am getting my calories in.

Comment

Weight gainer is a must abd eat eat eat eat

I used to be skinny back in the day and no matter what I ate it didn't matter.so I ate all the time with big meals and weight gainer 3x a day especially before bed. I gained quick mucle weight. Carbo loading before workout to also helps. But make sure you work out 6 days a week 2 mucle groups a day and repeat when you get mid week .cardio is a must and do not do the same exercises all the time change it up as much as you can to shock your mucles. Remember high weight low reps.

Comment

Whatever you are consuming and if you think you are consuming enough to put on body weight, you are not, eat more, some individuals also recommend GOAD quart of dairy products a day, now I have not tried this myself but it is a pretty certified way of excess body weight....

Comment

Working...
              X