Extreme tiredness during sets after weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme tiredness during sets after weight loss

Hi all great app been using this for a while now but this is my first post on the forum I am just after some advice. Since iv been on my diet which started 23/2/12 I was 16St 9 I am now 14St 6 last weigh in was Thursday 31/5/12, after this weight loss iv been struggling with any sort of repetitions I can do 1 rep max lifts like dead lift i even pulled a PB of 245kg 3 weeks ago and I even done OK at my strongman training which iv just started doing, but when ever I do any type of dumbbell work my shoulders and arms just go all week and feeble, for instance dumbbell bench press 20kg each hand I get to 6 and that's it, anything above this is a struggle and I mean a struggle its impossible to push past it, I know I can bench more my best was 120kg for 3 reps with barbell which i recorded and have a video of which i do for most of my PB lifts as motivation, so surly the weight is not the problem, iv just done a car dead lift last Wednesday with 3 people in the back again this type of lifting I am not struggling with its just rep work, I knew id lose some strength due to weight lose but not to this degree and why is it only reps work and nothing else, also iv had a blood test done recently which came back with low white blood cells and I am thinking this might be related but not sure.

I can't say anything about the white blood cells, but the training styles you mentioned are different. Pulling a couple heavy reps stresses the muscles differently that higher reps with lower weights. Research hypertrophy and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also it could be as simple as you have a weak spot. Perhaps you need to work on the shoulders a bit more.

Comment

I agree, those are two totally different training methods. I go for maximum hypertrophy and my body has adapted to it over time. But when I change it up occasionally and go for the 1-3 rep range I feel sick when I am done. It puts a whole different stress on my body than I am accustomed to.

Comment

So I think I have to drop all my weights back down to the start and go from there until I train body to get to 10-12 reps and up the weights as iv only trained for max 6 reps for the last year or so just for power and strength. Not what i wanted to hear but makes sense. I will stick to current workout and lower the weights right down and up reps as iv only just made it then change to a proper hypertrophy workout in 8 - 12 weeks.

Comment

I'm not suggesting you change anything really. If strongman is what you're training for, keep with what works. You probably need to add some focus to your weak points. Every one has them. My chest is a weak spot of mine. So I have to work harder on that than my legs for example.

I guess another way to say it is, you can't be a master of all. Train for your sport/goal.

Comment

I think, in the first place, you should stop discussing this on a forum and go and get checked out by a Doctor.

In the second place you should consider your diet. If you are resticting carbs then this can cause tiredness in the way you describe. Low carb diets don't work for everybody, and carbs are the main fuel source in exercise. Fats are used secondarily and the transition from carbs in the metabolism can be a shock - long-distance/marathon runners refer to "the wall" which is the shock to the system they experience while running where their glycogen stores (the body's own Carb stores) run out and the body switches to beta oxidation which burns fats.

It is important, even when losing weight, that you give the body the nutrients it needs. Also make sure your diet contains enough B Vitamins, as these are important during energy-generation. The easiest way to do this, apart from eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, is with a multi-vitamin pill of course.

Kind Regards
            Dave

Comment

Definitely get checked out. If your WBC is down it could point to something as simple as a vitamin deficiency from dieting or even a virus as these are indicators of something possibly suppressing the bone marrow production of WBC.There are also some medications that can cause low WBC.
              If you are going to continue power lifting I wouldn't worry about a maximum hypertrophy workout. It would probably counter productive to your goals. I am not a power lifter though so I don't know if you guys occasionally go through hypertrophy training phases.

Comment

Hi all thanks for the input so far. I had the blood tests done by my doctors laste week who then sent me a letter telling me i needed more blood tests done next week. Then they will discuss what they have found and hopefully a solution. As far as reps Iv never realy botherd as iv gained well enough from not doing a max of 6 reps its only that im actually trying to shift the stubborn fat which is where the rep work comes into it thats where my problem is.

Comment

1 week on with carbs back in the diet and I have managed to do 8 full sets of 10 reps on nearly everything iv even done, also done some dtp dumbbell chest monday and dtp bicep curls on tuesday. So it must have been the carbs i now feel i have a good energy levels all round even getting 2 3 hour workouts in.

Blood tests were done again today but wont know anything till later in the week

Comment

Working...
                  X