Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amber Island - Question to Anyone.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber Island - Question to Anyone.................

I don't have weights nor do I have access to gym equipment. I've gone through a lot of these routines and they all require both of these things. What do I do?

Sorry, I should have stated that I do not want to bulk up, I need to lose 30 lbs. and maybe a bit of
    toning as well. To be honest - I have 3 kids and we are working-class, I just don't have the money to
    put into a gym membership. Please feel free to email me - I think I posted it on my profile.
    Last edited by amberisland; 07-18-2012, 08:28 AM. Reason: Sorry, I wasn't clear before...

You cannot weight-train without weights. You can do body toning/calisthenics with exercises like pressups (pushups), Star Jumps etc but these won't "build" muscle if that's what you are looking to do. You can do cardio such as running, swimming etc to lose fat. You could go to a martial-arts class and that would build some muscle. But if you want to build a physique then you are going to have to either buy some weights or join a gym.

That's just the way it is. You can't learn to drive a car without a car. You can't learn to use a computer without a computer. You can't weight-train without weights.

Kind Regards
    Dave

PS. For accuracy I should point out that some people train using tyres as weights etc. You can do that to a certain extent, but most people do this as a supplement to weight-training, or a development to it, not as a substitute.

Comment

That's pretty much it. You can do bodyweight exercises and still get yourself in shape. You can even utilize a weight vest to add resistance. Have a look at Brandon Wynn.

Granted he has access to gymnastic equipment, but according to a recent interview he uses body weight exclusively. Just trying to point out that it's not impossible to attain a good physique with that type of work.

Comment

Just to add to what Justin said; bodyweight exercises can build a lean, toned physique but that's not the same as saying you don't need equiment. You can build your shoulders/back by doing bodyweight pullups/chins, but you still need something solid to act as a "pullup bar". If you don't want whatever you are using to collapse on you, then it needs to be pretty sturdy, or it needs to be somethign designed for the purpose like a doorway-pullup bar - but that's what I mean about equipment. A weight-vest, such as Justin says, is still equipment. You can train triceps by doing bodyweight dips, but you're still going to need something to act as a bench (I started out using the edge of the bath) and so on...

You can certainly train using bodyweight, but without suitable equipment to provide safe support you probably aren't going to get very far, and run the risk of injury if "jury-rigged" equipment collapses.

On the other hand, if you check out second-hand sources like Craigslist etc you could probably equip a basic home-gym quite cheaply.

You don't say what your goals are - weight loss? Weight gain? Tone? Muscle? Cardiovascular Fitness?

The final point is that JEFIT is primarily a gym-tracking program - designed to track the kind of workouts you would do in a gym. So don't be surprised if all the listed workouts require gym-equipment. This is pretty much a given in JEFIT's remit!

The best advice I can give you is to find a local gym, if there is one, and join it. It's not just access to the equipment you'll get, it's help and advice on how to workout effectively and safely, support to help you avoid injury, people around to help you if you get into difficulty, advice on diet, and motivation by looking at what the people around you are achieving.

Kind Regards
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X