No announcement yet.

Water or milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its totally depends on my calories intake. If i just need 130cal with some protein, water. And if I need to fill in some calories and carbs/protein milk&oats etc... be flexible.

Comment

Hi,
      Both are essential for health

Health benefits of water :

Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids
      Water Can Help Control Calories
      Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good
      Water Helps Energize Muscles
      Water Helps Your Kidneys
      Water Helps To Control Normal Bowel Function
      Water Flushes Toxins Out From The Body

Health benefits of milk
      Milk boost Bone health
      Milk helps to maintain healthy Teeth
      Milk helps to reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease
      Maintain blood pressure
      Milk helps to reduce the risk of both colorectal and breast cancer

Thanks and regards

Comment

Originally posted by Syndi View Post
        How big is the difference between using water or milk in a protein shake?
        Alot of people say water..but I prefer milk..what is the best type of milk to use?
        I usually use 2% or fat free..

using milk in a protein shake is kind of stupid, and compromises the integrity of exactly what you are doing.

Protein shakes should be used more for convenience peri-workout, meaning water only to not slow down the distestion or upset the stomach... otherwise you SHOULD BE eating whole food sources like beef, chicken, fish, turkey.. etc.

So, the best type of milk to use is NO MILK!

Comment

I normally just use water as i don't like warm milk, no fridges in a gym changing room haha!

never actually had a protein shake with milk come to think of it.

Comment

Lowfat milk. The lactose replaces the muscle cell glycogen burned during the workout, which is necessary for anabolism. You can't assemble muscle from all the protein we eat without fuel. Sure, you can go the ketosis route if you've fat to burn, but I believe that glycogenolysis is more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_goodman View Post
              Lowfat milk. The lactose replaces the muscle cell glycogen burned during the workout, which is necessary for anabolism. You can't assemble muscle from all the protein we eat without fuel. Sure, you can go the ketosis route if you've fat to burn, but I believe that glycogenolysis is more efficient.
              I would personally rather opt out for casein hydrosylates and branch dextrins while glut4 is on the prowl.
              Also, why not teach the body to be more efficient with carbohydrates? This is a great time to actually eat carbs and NOT get fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertrogo
                Warm milk protein shake...... gross haha

Last thing you want after sweating during a hard workout is a luke-warm shake :P
                Exactly!!! Something nice and cold is always required

Comment

"I would personally rather opt out for casein hydrosylates and branch dextrins while glut4 is on the prowl. Also, why not teach the body to be more efficient with carbohydrates? This is a great time to actually eat carbs and NOT get fat."

I think we may be agreeing here -- GLUT4 is the port through which glucose passes across cell membranes and it is activated by either insulin or muscle contraction. We want that fuel port opened by muscle contraction as we work out and not by insulin response after sitting around eating a plate of cookies. Glucose uptake as a result of muscle work is, I believe, the efficient carbohydrate metabolism of which you speak. And it leads to the replenishment of muscle cell glycogen, and not fatty-acid production. I could be wrong -- biology and biochemistry are tangential to my work, not core.

Comment

"I would personally rather opt out for casein hydrosylates and branch dextrins while glut4 is on the prowl. Also, why not teach the body to be more efficient with carbohydrates? This is a great time to actually eat carbs and NOT get fat."

I think we may be agreeing here -- GLUT4 is the port through which glucose passes across cell membranes and it is activated by either insulin or muscle contraction. We want that fuel port opened by muscle contraction as we work out and not by insulin response after sitting around eating a plate of cookies. Glucose uptake as a result of muscle work is, I believe, the efficient carbohydrate metabolism of which you speak. And it leads to the replenishment of muscle cell glycogen, and not fatty-acid production. I could be wrong -- biology and biochemistry are tangential to my work, not core.
                    We are on the same book and page then.

I think that the average person doesn't have the greatest insulin sensitivity, thanks to sporadic eating and bad food choices / time of day / frequency of meals. The recent science is saying that it's almost impossible to gain bodyfat when eating pre,during,post-resistance training (with exceptions of course). 3 great times for the average person to advocate better carbohydrate metabolism.

Just curious, what is your field of study? I appreciate meeting someone who does not regurgitate tedious diet-mantras found on the web

Comment

I'm a chemist in a small pharma start-up - mostly concerned with ophthalmic and nasal drug delivery. But I have worked on insulin pharmacodynamics. And yeah, people don't seem to appreciate timing much beyond the post workout protein shake. You seem to know a few things about metabolics yourself. What's your line?

Comment

I'm a chemist in a small pharma start-up - mostly concerned with ophthalmic and nasal drug delivery. But I have worked on insulin pharmacodynamics. And yeah, people don't seem to appreciate timing much beyond the post workout protein shake. You seem to know a few things about metabolics yourself. What's your line?

WOW, this is amazing. Take a wild guess at what my bodybuilding coach is? A Chemist!

I'm actually in Real Estate, but i'm into research hardcore and i've been lifting for about 8 years... looking to compete next year in bodybuilding. I spend most hours out of the day researching diet and training... and trying to help people when i can (tough to do over the web). I've been lucky to be surrounded by people, like yourself, with generous knowledge-bases who i can learn from and apply different protocol.

Very nice to meet you!

Comment

You too, sir. Good luck with competition.

Comment

I personally prefer milk for flavour and I used Skimmed.
                            As far as i'm aware fat loss is calories in vs calories out so as long as you are eating under your calorie maintenance and hitting the right macros then do what tastes better.

edit:
                            After reading rickdennis' views, maybe use water and smash down whole food carbs. Of course, this isn't always possible when "on the go" so get your calorie intake right and good luck with your progress.
                            Last edited by Jamie_s; 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie_s View Post
                              I personally prefer milk for flavour and I used Skimmed.
                              As far as i'm aware fat loss is calories in vs calories out so as long as you are eating under your calorie maintenance and hitting the right macros then do what tastes better.

edit:
                              After reading rickdennis' views, maybe use water and smash down whole food carbs. Of course, this isn't always possible when "on the go" so get your calorie intake right and good luck with your progress.
                              Milk can interfere with muscle/lactase exchange and contribute to long DOMS (muscle soreness) so it's a bad idea. but everyone is free to do what they want lol

Comment

I go with water over milk

Comment

Working...
                                X