Modifying the benchmark exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying the benchmark exercises

Is there a way to modify, change, or alter the benchmark exercises in JEfit? I don't do barbells, I'm not that experienced yet, so I stick mainly with cable, and machine exercises that do the same thing. I would like to set benchmarks for the exercises that I do, and be able to track progress with those benchmark exercises.

Although I now use the default benchmarks, I did wonder the same thing when I started. It would be great to be able to set your own benchmark exercises. However, in the meantime, you can create a simple single day routine and add it to the end of your existing routine, complete it once a month for a benchmark.

Comment

This is a perennial question... It comes up a lot.

Most users confuse the idea of "Benchmarks" with "Tracking Progress". Benchmarks are supposed to be "universal" and are therefore the same select group of exercises that everybody uses internationally to track progress and compare results. Being able to change these exercises would therefore be pointless.

(Caveat: These are benchmark exercises used by the American Bodybuilding community - Powerlifters use different benchmarks as do Martial Artists and so on, as has previously been discussed in the many threads on this topic).

What people want is not to use these "benchmarks" to track progress between individuals internationally (let's face it, apart from on a forum, when does anybody ever do that) but to track their individual progress over time. It is agreed that this would be useful, and therefore being able to set them to the exercises you regularly do would help, but when the program JEFIT was written, that's not what this section was actually for.

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

Okay, I guess I can simply ignore that section, and use my own exercises and track using them. It will show progress, as each does have the 1RM, which makes it easy to track. Thanks for the input, now I understand what they're there for, I do wish, however, they wouldn't make it an integral part of my profile, it keeps showing that my profile is "incomplete", when, as far as I'm concerned, it is.. Oh well, still the best program out there, I've shown it to several people at the gym that I see still using the old "paper and pencil" method.. :-)
        Thanks..

Comment

What would be nice is if there was an algorithm that worked out an equivalency for the benchmarks.

So if you bench press with dumbells, then the program works out that your Barbell Bench Press would be approximately 120% of you 1RM for Dumbells and - in the absence of an actual Barbell Bench Press performance (which it should use for preference) - posts that as your approximate 1RM for barbell work so that people can compare your ability with their own (which is what the benchmark is for).

I made the 120% figure up, just to illustrate the point. Such a calculation would have to be backed up with actual research (and the real values can be expected to vary from person to person, so it could only ever be an average), but it might make people's frustration with this particular feature go away to some extent.

And allowing people to set their own progress bar for exercises they actually do would address the rest!!!

Kind Regards
          Dave

Comment

I 2nd that. Great idea!

Comment

Working...
            X