Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbbell only beginner workout

Hi there.

As a complete novice to weight training I was wondering if there are any suitable beginner workouts out there which only use dumbbells (4x2.5kg, 4x1.25kg) as they are the only equipment I have. I do not have access to benches either.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by gandalfs mother; 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM.

Originally posted by gandalfs mother View Post
    Hi there.

As a complete novice to weight training I was wondering if there are any suitable beginner workouts out there which only use dumbbells (4x2.5kg, 4x1.25kg) as they are the only equipment I have. I do not have access to benches either.

Many thanks!
    Of course you have access to a bench. Use the edge of a sturdy chair to do things like Bench Dips or One Arm Dumbell Rows.

Anything can be a freeweight. It doesn't have to be in the shape of a bar with weights on it. Laundry basket full of heavy clothes? Freeweight. Bookbag filled with books? Freeweight.

You've got options, don't limit yourself.

Comment

For most exercises I actually prefer using dumbbells over barbells. This will help you get symmetrical growth in your muscles, rather than allowing one side of your body to do more work than the other (think about somebody doing lop-sided barbell bench presses). It also allows your arms, particularly your shoulders, to utilize a more natural range of motion which can help prevent injury. A friend of mine who used to be an amatuer body-builder told me that doing barbell bench presses are one of the most common ways to injure your rotator cuff.

Comment

Working...
      X