Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi Guys..ACL Reconstruction...Please take me Under your Wings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys..ACL Reconstruction...Please take me Under your Wings...

How you doing guys.

I'm Jose and Just getting back in the gym after a year of half-assing it to recover from an ACL Reconstruction.

Looking for any tips on getting back to my running and lifting. (Just got back to squatting 225 again. Woo-hoo)

Still get lingering pain from running distance. Need help

Also, anyone could recommend a good pre-workout? I've been out of the loop so want to know what's good out there.

Still wanna feel like the Hulk but sans the jitters.

Looking forward to the response.

Lift Well Bretheren

Get to a running store and get some decent shoes. Can't stress how important those are for running. That will go a long ways to minimizing the pain.

Optimum Nutrition makes a couple that I like. Amino Energy is a good no jitters PWO. PRE- is also good, but its a bit stronger.

Comment

I know it sounds goofy and even counter intuitive, but look into barefoot running. Believe it or not, forefoot striking takes a lot of shock off of your knees and lower back. Your foot, achilles and calf are all designed to absorb shock. If you wear the right kind of shoes like Vibram 5 fingers, you will have no choice but to run like your body was designed.

I have to take a PT test for my job. I suffered a back injury that made the shock of normal heel strike running painful. After a short transition to barefoot running, I'm actually faster than I was before and have no pain. You'd think concrete would cause problems but I can run on any surface and the shock is simply absorbed by my lower leg/foot architecture.

Another thing to consider is ankle and hip mobility. If you are lacking in these areas, forces are shifted toward your knee.

Comment

Thanks deviation...I've been meaning to look into new shoes...I've just been spoiled since my little sister works for Reebok and get a bunch of ZigTechs, but I hear they're bad for running now...sheesh.

keep the coments coming. If you know of any shoes Reebok makes, let me know.

ON is my go brand, along with BSN, but I've never tried ON's pre-workout. Going to have to do some investigating.
        Last edited by Josec3; 07-30-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Johnheather, I will not lie to you. That does sound counter-intuitive. LOL

I will definitely look into it based on your recommendations though. I'm willing to try anything to help get me back to running.

I forgot to mention that I entered an Super Spartan with my Firm for September 2013 (peer pressure...)

If you could be more specific on the ankle and hip mobility, I would greatly appreciate it. I do feel my gait has changed post-op

Comment

Thanks John.

I love the app and have been using it since before the surgery, I just never thought to come to the site. I have and should have done it a lot sooner.

As far as the pre-workouts, I've tried a few of those (Jack3d and C4 Extreme) but the others are totally foreign. Have to do some homework.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Josec3 View Post
              Johnheather, I will not lie to you. That does sound counter-intuitive. LOL

I will definitely look into it based on your recommendations though. I'm willing to try anything to help get me back to running.

I forgot to mention that I entered an Super Spartan with my Firm for September 2013 (peer pressure...)

If you could be more specific on the ankle and hip mobility, I would greatly appreciate it. I do feel my gait has changed post-op
              Ah, Spartan and Tough Mudders. Guys I work with are always trying to get me to race with them. They say it's a blast but my wife would look at me sideways if I told her I was paying to run an obstacle course. There is a Tough Mudder in Aug right up the road from me. 2 teams from my office are running so I might join in. If I do, you can bet it will be in a pair of goofy looking Vibram 5 fingers.

As far as ankle/hip mobility being detrimental to the knee, you need to look at the kinetic chain. Each joint serves as either a mobility or a stability joint. Joint by joint, the body generally alternates mobility and stability joints. Mobility joints are only as good as their range of motion. When you run out of range of motion in one mobility joint, the next mobility joint in the chain has to take up the slack and actually move farther than it otherwise would have to. Because mobility and stability joints alternate, that force is transferred to the next mobility joint through a stability joint. In your case, the knee. If the stress is torsional, shear or lateral it can cause all kinds of problems.

I will try not to be too long winded or in depth, but I have a tendency to ramble.

Looking at a proper squat, you can see the chain all the way through the body. As you lower, your ankle needs to dorsiflex (toes toward the knee) and your hips need to hinge and rotate. Your knee and lower back are stabilizing the load throughout the movement. The knee should only move in one plane and not buckle or bow and your low back should remain rigid and have sufficient core stability. If you run out of ankle mobility, your hip needs to bend more to keep the load balanced over your heels (making your squat more like a good morning). That force goes through the knee. If you lack hip mobility, the force is transferred through the knee to the ankle and through the low back to the thoracic spine. When you run out of all available mobility in the chain, your low back will round and tuck under...this is bad. The point just before the tuck is the safe range of motion.

A good squatter can get his ass all the way to the ground (or nearly so) without this low back tuck and an upright torso all while minimizing stresses through stability joints. In order to become a good/safe squatter, you must have sufficient mobility and stability.

Many sports trainers believe ACL injuries are caused by strength imbalances between the quads and hamstring/glutes. Anecdotally, they see too many athletes with ACL injuries who are quad dominant. If running is your goal, elimination of these imbalances are imparative to keeping your knee healthy.

As far as distance running, it might just not be worth the potential damage from overuse. Especially, if you are heavier. You can stay mighty fast and cardiovascularly fit without long distance. A few HIIT/sprint sessions a week is more than enough to keep my run times fast and my body fat low.
              Last edited by johnheather43913; 07-31-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

If you decide to run barefoot (and you should try it), start with short runs. It's real easy to get carried away and hurt yourself. It's a different running style and it requires time to build up.

Originally posted by johnheather43913 View Post
                Ah, Spartan and Tough Mudders. Guys I work with are always trying to get me to race with them. They say it's a blast but my wife would look at me sideways if I told her I was paying to run an obstacle course. There is a Tough Mudder in Aug right up the road from me. 2 teams from my office are running so I might join in. If I do, you can bet it will be in a pair of goofy looking Vibram 5 fingers.
                Do it! I've done them and they are a blast! [URL]http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log&p=51847&viewfull=1#post51847[/URL] (latest one)
                BTW, Vibrams won't save you.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertrogo
                  I was going to say, that Justin "Deviation" used to do barefoot running (not sure if you still do) back in the day and I remember that you were going extremely hard on it and started to hurt your feet and rip your skin haha.
                  Well that's not the typical outcome. LOL Rough asphalt that was 100+ and a really hot day. I hadn't run on that spot before. Lesson learned though!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviation View Post
                    Well that's not the typical outcome. LOL Rough asphalt that was 100+ and a really hot day. I hadn't run on that spot before. Lesson learned though!
                    How true!

When I first decided to try barefoot running, I jumped on the treadmill for 20 min. I spent the time concentrating on my running form and didn't really have any issues.

I did think that the treadmill belt got a little warm but figured that it must always be warm. I didn't consider how rough the surface of the treadmill belt was and found that the warmth was actually my foot burning from the friction. I took off a few layers of skin and wound up with a nice pink hue to the balls of my feet.

I purchased the Vibrams that night and never looked back.

Comment

Wow...After reading all of these, and doing my own research, regardless of what I do I'm going to get my ass kicked at this race. I think I'll need some holy water to drink, especially since a super spartan is going to be my comeback event.

Pray for me fellas. (For my knee too.)

Comment

Don't get caught up in the pre-race hype. It's your first obstacle course run. Focus on finishing it; not winning it. They are a blast.

Comment

Trying to...This is to prove to myself I'm healthier now.

Planning to finish the first one to get a taste. Knowing myself, The competitive bug will bite me by the second race.

If anyone else has tips for the race, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                          X